• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountry vs Freeride?

S
Nov 13, 2016
Hello!

I'm not too experienced with sleds and was wondering which sled would be beter for me- the Skidoo freeride or the Skidoo Backcountry X. Both 2015 800cc models.

Would both sleds would be able to shred through 1-4 feet of powder without having issues/Would I be completely satisfied with either of these sleds?

Which sled would be better for me? I ride in Saskatchewan (CA) backcountry, mostly in 1-3 feet of snow but I live on a lake so I ride quite a bit of ditches/trails/treeriding to get into the hill/powder areas. I would say around 2/5 of trails/ditches/treeriding and 3/5 off trail in snowed meadows with 1-3 feet of powder. I don't jump a ton but I can see the potential as there are amazing jump spots where I live. So what sled would be best for me? Freeride 137, Freeride 147 or the Backcountry X?

If I were to get the Freeride, what track/suspension would be best for me? The 137' R-motion 1.25 lug, the 137' R-motion 2.25 lug or the 146' T-motion 2.25 lug.?

From my knowledge I feel like the freeride is just an all out better sled. Better off trail and better on trail. Not as much comfort though

*I'm also a pretty knew, younger rider. I'm only 16 years old with around a thousand kilometers of riding sleds/atvs

Thanks in advance! Dealers in my small town are terrible and don't have lots of time to research so I figured this would be the best place!

*also what exactly do ice scratchers do and would I need them for any of these models? I was told I do but not sure*

Gsmith2233

Lifetime Membership
Sep 25, 2012
Central Iowa
Sounds like the Freeride 146 would be perfect for you. I live in Central Iowa and we can get some full deep ditches along with some bare spots. Last year I had a 14 Backcountry X which was a 137 x 1.75 and it did ok, but I wanted more. I spring ordered a 17 Freeride 146. No time on it yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Plus, better shocks and swaybar disconnect come standard. Just my .02.

S
Nov 13, 2016
Sounds like the Freeride 146 would be perfect for you. I live in Central Iowa and we can get some full deep ditches along with some bare spots. Last year I had a 14 Backcountry X which was a 137 x 1.75 and it did ok, but I wanted more. I spring ordered a 17 Freeride 146. No time on it yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Plus, better shocks and swaybar disconnect come standard. Just my .02.

Awesome thanks bro. Everyone so far has told me to go for the 146 so I think I will! Let's hope for lots of snow ;)

Premium Features