• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS Down on 1500RPM

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Any chance you have a primary roller with a flat spot or a button catching just before the primary is fully closed?

W

wisboy25

Feb 10, 2015
Wisconsin
Any chance you have a primary roller with a flat spot or a button catching just before the primary is fully closed?

That would cause an over rev wouldn't it cause would keep the primary from shifting all the way closed if that was it ain't something silly with throttle cables or tss by some stupid chance is it

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Ya my buddies sled was down on rpm, he had flat spots in the roles. Changed roles and new primary spring and picked up 200 rpm. His sled is about 1400 miles. Still down a bit on rpm. Deal is putting a new tps and some capacitor on this week.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So I went to another forum (hardcoresledder) and found a very interesting thread about this issue of low rpm. Turns out polaris has a protection mode in the ECU that closes the VES to the mid position if it detects something wrong and does NOT throw an engine code! Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/929-rush-switchback-axys-platform/1525898-update.html

Quote from the tech tip from Polaris:
NOTE: If all wide open throttle (WOT) conditions and RPM are not met, the ECU will command the E-VES valves to a mid-state position which will further reduce RPM and change the engine tone. This does not indicate a problem with E-VES but is rather a direct result of another item in this checklist not being properly addressed.

Most things on the 11 step checklist I have already looked at, but maybe there is something I missed. I think it's crazy that the computer doesn't tell you its in this mode so you could at least know and then troubleshoot!

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I was reading on DTR on an axys that was down on HP. If I read it right the exhaust vales where not opening all the way @ wot. They adjusted the tps @ wot and got the valves to open all the way and gained the lost HP back.

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
So I went to another forum (hardcoresledder) and found a very interesting thread about this issue of low rpm. Turns out polaris has a protection mode in the ECU that closes the VES to the mid position if it detects something wrong and does NOT throw an engine code! Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/929-rush-switchback-axys-platform/1525898-update.html

Quote from the tech tip from Polaris:
NOTE: If all wide open throttle (WOT) conditions and RPM are not met, the ECU will command the E-VES valves to a mid-state position which will further reduce RPM and change the engine tone. This does not indicate a problem with E-VES but is rather a direct result of another item in this checklist not being properly addressed.

Most things on the 11 step checklist I have already looked at, but maybe there is something I missed. I think it's crazy that the computer doesn't tell you its in this mode so you could at least know and then troubleshoot!

Agreed. That's just plain stupid if the ECU don't let you know if it goes into a limp mode. I bet in a year or two Polaris will fix that.

Back to your sled, I don't know how it works in America, but here in Norway, if the sled is having issues, which neither you or the dealer can fix, you can demand a brand new sled. I saw your video of the throttle response... that just didn't sound right! Keep coming back with updates!

Cheers

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Agreed. That's just plain stupid if the ECU don't let you know if it goes into a limp mode. I bet in a year or two Polaris will fix that.

Back to your sled, I don't know how it works in America, but here in Norway, if the sled is having issues, which neither you or the dealer can fix, you can demand a brand new sled. I saw your video of the throttle response... that just didn't sound right! Keep coming back with updates!

Cheers

You demand new sleds over there? Yes sir....

I don't know dude...unless you're Brock Lesner I don't think that $hit gonna fly over here.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT

Cheers

Lemon laws, we have them. They vary a bit by state but the general principle is there. It's mostly used for cars...anybody every lemoned a sled?

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
You demand new sleds over there? Yes sir....

I don't know dude...unless you're Brock Lesner I don't think that $hit gonna fly over here.

Ya, if the dealer cannot fix the problem in 3 tries, you can demand a brand new sled, and they have to take back your sled, fix it somehow, and sell it again.

And that does not just count for snowmobiles.
My dad bought a brand new Suzuki 60 HP outboard engine from a dealer back in 2013, after a while it started making weird noises at certain RPM's, he had in for repair three times, the fourth time the problem occured, he demanded a new engine, 1 week later a brand new engine was mounted on his boat. And that engine cost almost the same as an Axys Pro RMK. But then again, I'm sure it doesn't work that way in the states.

To quote Wikipedia:
"Lemon laws are American state laws that provide a remedy for purchasers of cars and other consumer goods in order to compensate for products that repeatedly fail to meet standards of quality and performance."

To me, it sounds like this is a prime example of that, if the dealer can't seem to repair his sled, that is.

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Anyone care to share the list, cant read on HCS with my phone...

Any news from the threadstarter, sled at dealer?

Update:
I have not taken the sled to the dealer since I will not be able to ride the sled for a few weeks here coming up so I will take it in then. I have played with different clutch weights, and no matter how light I go with the weights it will not go higher than 8000rpm with the stock pipe.

team tip 1.jpg team tip 2 .jpg team tip 3.jpg team tip 4.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
10e2ac879f40f73500746b649a192aaf.jpg

Gets fuzzy when zoomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iquizy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
NWMN
Sorry if I missed it, but have you tried throwing heavier weights in? Might need more load

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Yes, I tried heavier weights as well, just lugged it down more. But once you lighten the weights past correct weight, the RPM plateau off and don't gain anymore RPM.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I had a simular issue today, on my ride in to the hills, rs were steady at 8200 in 1 foot of wind liaded snow. I got stuck and reved it wot to try get out and noticed low rs of 77 or so, got back out to the road for the trip home, same sno condtions and noticed low rs in that 77 range, also had headlights flickering of and on with highbeam not comming on at all.
Iv also had heat grip issues, not sure if all of this is linked together or not. In phone conversation today with geo, he said problem sounds like a common one from last year, mentioning thetes some sort of module is the culprit. Iv got over 700 miles on sled

Premium Features