• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Stampede Pass 2/25/18

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Thoughts and prayers to those affected.
That is a short but steep slope and it has slid on its own.

A
Feb 16, 2014
Guys,

Loosing a fellow sledder is a tough one, especially when it is close to home. I don't personally know the individuals involved in the situation, but I can't imagine the grief the family and friends are going thru...It sounds like the victim's young wife was riding with him, as well? I can't even imagine loosing a loved one and being there to witness it. That said, maybe we can setup a "gofundme" account or some kind of donation support to help out? The news article states that the family is in their early 30's, so I am sure any donations would help out. If anybody has any other ideas on how to donate (such as setting up a "gofundme" account, etc.), please let me know as my wife and I would like to donate or help out in anyway that we can. If you know the family, please feel free to send me a PM on how we can assist and I would be glad to take the reigns on getting something going on the forum.

Thanks, Ryan

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Don’t have enough fingers or toes to count the avi deaths since this forum started, sad deal and yes there will be more, learned this at
14 in my begining mountain climbing group, ( mountains don’t care) I’ve lost some peeps all climbers, **** happens and do your best.....

jcropper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2013
Battle Ground WA
Does anyone know if any or all had AVY gear ? Beacon, Probe, Shovel or AVY Air bag backpack ?

Horrible news and I pray for all those involved

I always wonder when i hear of these events how prepared they were, no such thing as too prepared but some times it is not enough and just a bad situation

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You can have all the Avy gear and training in the world but if you make horrible, stupid, ignorant, or whatever you want to call it decisions you're probably going to get hurt or killed in an avalanche... I have heard a lot of chatter on what happened... Don't know if any of it is true or not but I know exactly where they were and it's a horrible spot to sit regardless of conditions, let alone red. And if it's true that someone in their own party went on that hill and side hilled above them why they were eating lunch man I'd hate to be that guy...

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I'm curious for those people who know that area, how steep is the slope and is it something that one would expect to slide? Their were two hikers killed yesterday in the area as well and people just need to be aware of the dangers of the conditions out there right now. Avy danger is unusually high. Be safe.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I'm curious for those people who know that area, how steep is the slope and is it something that one would expect to slide? Their were two hikers killed yesterday in the area as well and people just need to be aware of the dangers of the conditions out there right now. Avy danger is unusually high. Be safe.

It's steep, probably 30-35 degrees. Slides all the time. No run out into open area either. Just a wall of trees. When conditions are good it's fun little area and leads to some good riding over the crest. As said before, a terrible place to have lunch let alone stop and watch your buddy climb.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i have a theory that the more avy gear riders buy airbags, etc. the greater their false sense of security is, paradoxically putting themselves in much riskier terrain. The only real solution is to make better decisions to stay out of avalanche terrain when danger is high. Many will disagree i'm sure but I believe its fair to say that many riders will increase their chances of death by purchasing an airbag.

W

wADVr

Dec 3, 2017
That is not a picture of the big face into God's... I heard it was down below at cottonwood lake. I guess we are all speculating until we actually hear from someone that was actually there...

This picture has the location attached (or however it does it) the lake pictured is Cottonwood

4E2BDB09-B061-4AEB-965A-5348527E589E.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
That is literally where that hill side funnels to and it's a terrain trap. Besides the fact they happened to be in a horrible spot for a day avalanche danger was high, I'm kinda curious with the I-90 Motorsports guys on this forum why someone hasn't posted what actually happened because maybe everyone on this forum can learn from it and possibly save lives in the future...

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
That is literally where that hill side funnels to and it's a terrain trap. Besides the fact they happened to be in a horrible spot for a day avalanche danger was high, I'm kinda curious with the I-90 Motorsports guys on this forum why someone hasn't posted what actually happened because maybe everyone on this forum can learn from it and possibly save lives in the future...

It's not the easiest thing to talk about after going through something like that. Especially so soon. It will all come out in time, and hopefully we can all learn. Yes it is a horrible spot . I've been to that lake a hundred times and only ventured over there couple times in good conditions. I'm sure they are feeling awful. Just trying to get through these next couple days for them will be a rough one.

Premium Features