• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex Yamacharger testing by Simons CPR.....WOW!!!!!

S
Dec 17, 2009
Here are the results we saw from our testing, we are currently testing the 2011 apex and will release the results when testing is finalized. Jeff
1st post
Simons CPR has begun testing our g force yam charger apex and we are very impressed with what we have seen so far, over the next couple of weeks we will be posting our results. so far we have seen a 20 hp increase at the crankshaft, so where a stock apex is usually around 147-148 horsepower, we are seeing 167-168 hp consistantly on a long hard steady state pull, the powerband is very linear and will be very easy to clutch, i am currently updating my dyno software, and next week we will be continuing our testing with a power commander and exhaust modifications that should further enhance the G Force yamcharger system, after that we will be doing some track dyno evaluation, based on the power we are seeing on the engine dyno, and the power to the track that we all ready see with our simons supertune clutch kit on a stock apex, we should see around a 20 hp increase to the track over a bone stock apex. your talking a 95 track horsepower apex in trail form on pump gas with a very broad power band that cams and head porting will not be able to compete with. simons cpr very is excited to be distributing these kits for g-force because they fill a nitch between the stock apexs and boosted apexs that have previously been an all or nothing solution, when you look at the cost of a supercharger or turbo kit, and compare it to a big bore or cammed and ported apex, there really isn't a huge difference in price, however the turbos and superchargers will make way more power. granted there are problems associated with both, but for those looking for max power the pressurized solutions have been outstanding. now with the g force, yamcharger, you get a direct drive bolt on kit that appears to me will have little to no problems, and produce around 2 pounds of boost, while working well with the stock fuel system, the cost for this system is 2200.00 and is easy to install. we have already seen 20 hp gain, and i feel with a exhaust mod and some timing we will see possibly as much as 25 hp. all of our testing should be finished by the end of next week and we are currently taking orders for the yamchargers now. if anyone has any questions on this kit feel free to call me directly
p.s. I would also like to thank Kevin Boelk for donating his sled for this testing and for all the hard work he has put into helping us test this product. thanks Kevin.
Jeff Simon / Simons CPR
1-414-698-6611

2nd post
i think 87 octane will be fine for most cases, also, i did some math....lets look at what you get horsepower per dollar

1500 us for 8 hp on airbox mod, exhaust can, clutching and controllers, simple install you can do yourself. = 187.5 per horsepower

2200 us for 20 hp on yamcharger with clutching
simple install you can do yourself. = 110.00 per horsepower

6350 us for 90 hp on turbo + fuel controller+ clutching
difficult install, mechanically inclined people can do themselves
without install = 70.55 per horsepower
with install (1200) =83.88 per horsepower

all kits work well, just depends on your budget, i personally think the yamcharger is a good value, that 5 axis cnc billet alum impeller is not cheap to produce, and when is the last time you priced dies to make those plastic pieces as well as the other related parts that make up the kit, and thats not even added in the developmental costs, i.m sure there were multiple prototypes thrown away to get it to this point, any big bore kit or piped venture is usually around 100 per horsepower, so i'd say they also hit the mark value wise. jeff

3rd post
snowy1 wrote:
if it works as advertised that 20 hp. is only true at sea level, as there is no adjustability as in boost or pulley size you can not adjust for elevation. so as you go up in elevation your hp gains get smaller. and for the mountain guys at 10,000 ft. you will lose 30% so thats 14 hp. gain for $2200 I don,t think thats a good deal, atleast with a turbo or supercharger you can adjust for elevation and maintain the same gains.

well my stock apex at sea level makes 148 hp, according to your calculations, your stock apex at 10,000 ft elevation makes 103 hp
if you do the math, they both receive a 13.5 percent increase in horsepower over the stock engine horsepower regardless of what elevation your at....so the value increase is the same.
and for that matter the same could be said for any sled modifications at high altitude other than a turbo and supercharger,
is a turbo or supercharger a better horsepower per dollar investment with benefits increasing with higher altitudes?....yes, no question about it. the turbo is actually the best because it is more efficient and will self compensate boost pressure with altitude changes, whereas the supercharger needs to have the pulley ratios changed per elevation change to get back the boost.
the yamcharger is not designed to compete with turbos and superchargers. this is for a guy who wants a little extra horsepower at a much lower cost without the hassles. jeff

4th post
all the results will be posted soon, just finished working on the track dyno for the evening, kevin and I started at 10.00am this morning and it is 10.00pm now. time for sleep and well be back at it in the morning. we are very close on the clutching, we are working with stk modified weights, g force weights and heavy hitters, all are working great. as for the engine dyno...this morning before we started track dyno testing, we were finalizing the kit on the engine dyno, we confirmed that the yamcharger is all ready at a positive boost pressure at 2800 rpms, by 5000 rpms it has .5 pounds of boost, and continues to climb to a max boost pressure of 2 pounds, throttle response is better than stock due to the building of boost at such low rpms. the power is smooth and linear with a horsepower peak of 168 at 10,800 rpms, and a torque peak of 90 ft lbs around 9500 rpms.
in the next day we will be dynoing a stock apex, and then installing the pc3, ignition, and airbox mod on the same sled to be dynod again. we dynoed a customers sled with the air box mod, pc3, and ign module all ready on it, but it only made 152 hp (4 hp gain over stock) which i thought was a little low, so in the interest of giving the kit the fairest evaluation possible, we decided to re run the test to see a before and after result on the same sled in case the customers sled we dynod was not working up to its full potential. jeff

testing is finished,
we took the two baseline sleds to a radar run and also did some side by side drag racing.
just to recap....these two sleds ran side by side as stock sleds, then one of them was modified with a power commander 3, air box mod, timing advance, and an exhaust mod, it would now beat the other sled by 2.5-3.0 sled lengths in a 700 ft drag race in snow. the same kit was then installed in the other test sled and they now ran side by side again.
we returned one of the sleds to completely stock and then we installed the yamcharger and began testing.
we made 168 hp on the engine dyno, and 94 horsepower to the track on our track dyno.
thats a 20 horsepower gain at the engine, and a 16 horse power gain to the track.
now we took both sleds to the radar run at the sheboygan marsh for a unbiased radar gun test
the pc3 modified sled ran 84 mph in 660 ft
the yamcharger sled ran 89.5 mph in 660 ft
very impressive gains over a sled that was all ready modified.
next we ran them from a dead stop drag race, the yamcharger easily put seven sled lengths on the other sled in a 700 ft drag race in snow
then we went from a side by side roll on and the yamcharger would effortlessly pull away from the other sled
these yamchargers are for real, they work excellent.
they are in stock and ready to ship,
the cost is 2200.00 canadian.

we will also reprogram and support your power commanders for free if you purchase your yamcharger from Simons CPR

final pc3 results on 2006-2010 yamacharged apexs...we ended up making a much broader power band by adding the pc3 and the ignition module. the true horsepower peak moved up to 11,000 rpms and gave us around three extra horsepower. we ran it out to 11,500 rpms and only lost 2 horsepower running it that far past the power peak. the addition of the pc3 and ignition module will give you the ability to overrev the engine acouple of hundred rpms with little to no power loss for conditions that would normally tickle the start of the rev limiter...(10,800 rpms)... and drastically killl the power. (stock rev limiter starts to retard timing at 10,800 rpms and kills it at 11,200.......where our program allows full spark until 11,500 rpms) all in all the power commander adds improved throttle response, more peak horsepower, and a much broader power curve.
we are currently testing our 2011 apex, and will release those results when testing is finalized. please feel free to call us with any questions... 1-414-698-6611 Jeff Simon / Simons CPR

Last edited:
Premium Features