• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex Turbo Standalone ECU

sam_coleman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Fielding, UT
I am reaching out to see if anyone knows of any standalone ECUs for a 2007 Apex Turbo. I have been looking and there is nothing current that I can find. Paul at Impulse doesn't seem to deal with sleds anymore. The motor is in a sled right now but I have been looking at throwing the motor in an experimental aircraft possibly in the future. The only thing I am seeing is (http://bdturnkeyengines.com/yamaha-apex) and they are only for naturally aspirated engines in aircraft. I want to keep the motor in the sled for now but I am looking to see what is out there that I am not finding.

Thanks

sam_coleman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Fielding, UT
Motec m400
I thought about that... I reached out to Precision Sports in Canada back in 2018 but never did pull the trigger to order a complete set up. They offered an Apex kit utilizing the M400 but I was just reaching out to see if there is anything else modern out there. Maybe it is still the best set up for this engine. I am just looking to see who currently still supports a solution for this set up. I feel a lot of companies are dropping the ball on the popularity of this, Aircraft versions of a complete built Apex engine with boost and turn key availability are going for around $30,000 so someone with a standalone set up could be making bank right now for those who want an alternative option utilizing their own engine.

Last edited:
X
Oct 8, 2009
I thought about that... I reached out to Precision Sports in Canada back in 2018 but never did pull the trigger to order a complete set up. They offered an Apex kit utilizing the M400 but I was just reaching out to see if there is anything else modern out there. Maybe it is still the best set up for this engine. I am just looking to see who currently still supports a solution for this set up. I feel a lot of companies are dropping the ball on the popularity of this, Aircraft versions of a complete built Apex engine with boost and turn key availability are going for around $30,000 so someone with a standalone set up could be making bank right now for those who want an alternative option utilizing their own engine.

Cody phillips sells plug and play or custom standalone kits for the apex that utilize the newer motec M1 ecus. He told me at one point he knows someone or had a customer who ran a motec M1 on a turbo apex engine that was in an experimental aircraft. The m400 is old tech, which the m1 builds on. The M1 has 2 major benefits over the m400.

First, anyone with firmware coding skills can write firmware for the M1, allowing users to setup custom options or features if necessary. This is useful if someone needs to capture sensor data not previously written in the firmware package. M400s are limited to whatever options motec programmed originally.

Second, the M1 has datalogging, which if setup correctly functions like a black box on an airplane. The m400 doesn't have datalogging; a separate data logger system must be used.

If you want to talk to cody. He has info posted on his website (codyphillipsracing.com). M400s are a cheaper option, but they do not provide the same level of features as the M130 or m150. The M150 ecu simply has the ability to monitor more data channels than the M130 ecu.

sam_coleman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Fielding, UT
Cody phillips sells plug and play or custom standalone kits for the apex that utilize the newer motec M1 ecus. He told me at one point he knows someone or had a customer who ran a motec M1 on a turbo apex engine that was in an experimental aircraft. The m400 is old tech, which the m1 builds on. The M1 has 2 major benefits over the m400.

First, anyone with firmware coding skills can write firmware for the M1, allowing users to setup custom options or features if necessary. This is useful if someone needs to capture sensor data not previously written in the firmware package. M400s are limited to whatever options motec programmed originally.

Second, the M1 has datalogging, which if setup correctly functions like a black box on an airplane. The m400 doesn't have datalogging; a separate data logger system must be used.

If you want to talk to cody. He has info posted on his website (codyphillipsracing.com). M400s are a cheaper option, but they do not provide the same level of features as the M130 or m150. The M150 ecu simply has the ability to monitor more data channels than the M130 ecu.
Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I just had an M400 setup for my apex from Martin at precision sports. He has been great to deal with.

He helped along side motec to get the M400 PNP setup to the public. He probably has more experience than anyone else for the Apex platform.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I run a M400 as well, just getting it installed and playing with it soon on my Twincharged build.. Really excited for such a nice stand alone system. The features are amazing.

It took 3 vids to get it installed but this should help anyone thinking about a Motec:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
I am reaching out to see if anyone knows of any standalone ECUs for a 2007 Apex Turbo. I have been looking and there is nothing current that I can find. Paul at Impulse doesn't seem to deal with sleds anymore. The motor is in a sled right now but I have been looking at throwing the motor in an experimental aircraft possibly in the future. The only thing I am seeing is (http://bdturnkeyengines.com/yamaha-apex) and they are only for naturally aspirated engines in aircraft. I want to keep the motor in the sled for now but I am looking to see what is out there that I am not finding.

Thanks
I have a turboed apex with a Vipec standalone ECU, the motor, turbo system and fuel system were built by One Stop Performance, the motor is a little high compression than stock, turbo is a 3071 with a 3 inch down pipe, external waste gate with a 1.5" down pipe, runs at 11800 rpm,s, it has 8 750 cc injectors, two fuel pumps, water cold intercooler and a custom wiring harness , I have it tuned to 22lbs of boost, but run it at 18lbs most of the time

Premium Features