• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex turbo mcx 290

Y

yamaha4life

Feb 11, 2009
Hey guys i took my apex with mcx 290 kit for it's first ride today it ran pretty good for the first while but then after stopping everytime I tried starting it was harder and it required me too give it trottle everytime to start it then it ran good one it fired. Near the end if the day I noticed oily substance coming from the exhaust and the machine ran good for a minute and then kinda died on me and I couldn't start it again, I'm thinking it might be flooded or it fouled some spark plugs, any ideas? This is my first turbo sled so I would appreciate any information thanks in advance

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Good bet. If your plugs haven't been changed for a while I would check their first. I change my plugs twice a year!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
How old is this kit ? Have you checked secondary injectors ? If it was on its side you can get some oil past the turbo bearing/seal and it will smoke a little. If its a newer kit i would check injectors first and then move on to something else.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Sounds like you could have an injector stuck open possibly?

Y

yamaha4life

Feb 11, 2009
Thanks the turbo kit is the new turbo kit, never had it on it side but I'll be taking it back to pg yamaha this week. The sled only has 80km on it and this will be the 3rd time it's going back not happy with it so far :face-icon-small-fro

Y

yamaha4life

Feb 11, 2009
The sled is all fixed now :D it ended up being 2 stuck secondary injectors that were adding way to much fuel lol

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
becoming way to common of an issue...have seen in numerous times now since they went to the "MCX" black injectors. Its a major PITA as it wrecks the day or trip...fills the engine crankcase with fuel so there goes 100 bucks for oil and filter plus the PITA

Landon what is going on with these injectors....

We want the old reliable brown injectors back please!!!!!!!!!!:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

B
Dec 18, 2007
becoming way to common of an issue...have seen in numerous times now since they went to the "MCX" black injectors. Its a major PITA as it wrecks the day or trip...fills the engine crankcase with fuel so there goes 100 bucks for oil and filter plus the PITA

Landon what is going on with these injectors....

We want the old reliable brown injectors back please!!!!!!!!!!:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

This is not a major issue, it was a major issue that has since been rectified. This particular sled was built last fall right in the middle of a short but bad run of injectors from Bosch. Of the 300 kits last year this problem surfaced in roughly 30-35 machines. Not catastrophic but not acceptable in our minds. This problem has been remedied with updated injectors that are also tested before the kit is shipped. There may be a few kits floating around uninstalled or with very low miles but if an issue occours the injectors are warrantied by MCX for one year after purchase. 90+ percent of these failures occur in the first 100 kms or so many within 5 or 10. If you have one of these kits and have more than 100 kms on it there is a 99 percent chance you will never experiance this issue. The black injectors were chosen because the are both more efficient and better met the requirement of our higher H.P. kits. This is why we will not be using the brown, green or blue injectors going forward. MCX does not have millions of dollars for R&D nor years to do durability testing so from time to time parts break.

Cheers
LL

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Funny, for a issue that has been rectified we sure are hearing and seeing more and more about it. Its too bad, MCX was on a excellent running streak and now all you hear is injector issue after injector issue. My friend is pretty unhappy with his machine, it has never ran more than a day solid without issues. 2-3 bad injectors so far since new last year. Must be a miracle !

B
Dec 18, 2007
Funny, for a issue that has been rectified we sure are hearing and seeing more and more about it. Its too bad, MCX was on a excellent running streak and now all you hear is injector issue after injector issue. My friend is pretty unhappy with his machine, it has never ran more than a day solid without issues. 2-3 bad injectors so far since new last year. Must be a miracle !

I can understand your friends frustration I hate it when stuff breaks down especially when it's expensive and new! I know the sled you are referring to and it sounds like 2 failed injectors was in fact the case. The kit was also shipped and sled built last fall precisely when this issue reared it's ugly head. The fact that the same issue went unrepaired for a full season and multiple rides doesn't change the fact that it was the same single issue since day one. The stellar performance of the 200+kits sold since this issue has been dealt with last season and the 100+ this season has been very clear that the problem is gone. We no longer have to hope the issue was properly fixed it is now FACT.

Cheers!
LL

Premium Features