• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any Powered parachute/glider pilot's on here?

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Last year while building my house, my neighbor would fly around low and slow on his footlaunch powered paraglider (ppg). It looked like so much fun, so this year I bought a powered parachute (ppc) to join him in flight.
I didn't know how i'd do up there since I'm a little scared of heights, but after a few flights I'm feeling pretty comfortable up there.
I can't believe more peeps aren't flying out of there back yard like this.
Here are a few of my first flight vids.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pf8myMVE9k&context=C392fff4ADOEgsToPDskKpPRkOEqlKQOgBp0kC3r3j
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohJw...xt=C392fff4ADOEgsToPDskKpPRkOEqlKQOgBp0kC3r3j

Ken Climb

Premium Member
In Canada you need a ultralights pilot license. If you find a good instuctor he will likely give you a beginners permit with just a weekend course. With that your good to go for a few years alone getting some hours then write a little exam and your done.

In the states its a little diffent. If your units under I think 250lbs..." You don't need any king of license!"
They make alot of nice ppg's and ppc's that are under 250lbs

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I am a Challenger ultralight dealer and had a BFI rating to give ultralight instruction. I have no time in a power parachute but have seen a few mishaps:face-icon-small-sho. Great machine BUT wind is not your friend with those things. Calm evenings and you will have alot of safe fun.

challenger-skis.jpg

MontebelloYello3.jpg

LN2_HR2.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Yah its a fair weather sport for sure! Early mornings and late afternoon / evenings.
Its hard to describe how fun it is flying low and slow just over tree tops on a nice wind free morning.
I'm really bummed out right now..... I twisted my knee bad at hockey the other night. I think my sleddings done for this year :(

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I went up for the first time this past spring... I love it! I was just a passenger, but the guy who took me up has 2 and has said he will let me fly his single seater next spring. I can't wait. I also have a Youtube video of my back seat flight. Just search Oregonsledder on Youtube if you want to see, it.

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
Yah its a fair weather sport for sure! Early mornings and late afternoon / evenings.
Its hard to describe how fun it is flying low and slow just over tree tops on a nice wind free morning.
I'm really bummed out right now..... I twisted my knee bad at hockey the other night. I think my sleddings done for this year :(

knee injuries suck. period....

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
I’ve always wanted to get one but training is non-existent around eastern SD (unless I’m over-looking someone). I’m also a little nervous taking lessons from anyone that isn’t an accredited instructor (aka the guy that’s been flying them for 10 years and could just be lucky that he hasn’t augured into tera ferma). The other thing I get hung up on is it looks like you have to spend $5-6k on a set up when you can buy a good used ultra light for under $10k and for $15k you can get into a Cessna 150. My parents live 20 miles down the road and have 8 acres of flat yard and a large shop so I don’t have to worry about hanger fees so I wouldn’t feel the full brunt of ownership cost of an ultra light/small plane over the PPC.

Premium Features