• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Reveiw + Video

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
To begin I would like everyone to know that I got very used to riding the XM 163 T3 last year.

My first few minutes on the G4 165 2.5 was scary. First thing you notice just like everyone says is the throttle response. In actuality, what you're really feeling is the combination of the new motor, new track, and new clutching. I was scared because I was seriously unsure if I could handle this thing.

Got to the hills and waist deep fresh and I badly overrode the new chassis. Often times I didn't even need to wrong foot forward as I could keep both feet in the footwells and leaning would simply be enough. I still preferred wrong foot forward for more control but it was really only needed on the semi-to-super steep. First day, due to rider error (overriding it) I got stuck just as much as on my 163 T3 but had one pull up some steep that absolutely blew my mind and was soooo mad I wasn't running the camera at the time to seriously prove this track is what's next. Regardless of the one good pull I was a bit unimpressed. I did not expect to get stuck as much as I did.

Second day I started getting used to the sled and could tell what potential it had once I got it figured out. I was so excited for the third day because I was finally getting used to the G4 and making a quick transition from the XM T3.

By the third day I felt at HOME, more at home than on the T3, ever. Matched with a bluebird day and this thing is so amazingly easy to maneuver and hold a side hill. Often times only needing half throttle for it to perform.

One thing that I for sure think will make a huge difference that not many people have noticed is the steering of this sled. I have no idea why but it feels like it has power steering compared to the XM and I also hopped on an AXYS for 5 minutes and instantly noticed how I NEEDED to lean in order to steer around a tree for steering the skis was wayyyy too tough. However I would say steering the skis is 5x easier on the G4. If you get the chance, pay attention to this. I think this will make a huge difference in rider fatigue by the end of the day.

I always judge how "good" of a rider you are by what actions you perform and whether or not you get stuck doing those actions. All my actions are actions that push myself and on the first day I was getting stuck a lot. By/On the third day I only got stuck twice, it helped that it was bluebird but I could feel I was definitely getting used to the G4.

The last thing I want everyone to know about and what I have seen on here before is... CONFIDENCE. This sled will truly inspire confidence in you as a rider. To me the new geometry of the chassis and the track are the biggest differences. The motor and the clutching are just icing on the cake. I didn't even notice the no toe holds unless I was on the trail and that I got used to quickly as well. :face-icon-small-hap

The sled I was riding was a Summit X 165 2.5 it had 54% break-in left when I got it (rental) out of west yellowstone. It was out of break-in during this video (third day). Also when I got it it had 90 miles on it. When I was done with it it had 260 miles on it. No belt issues at all, no chaincase issues at all, I observed the belt the first day, no dust, and felt and foam was still in the sled. If it was my sled, I would be removing material just to be safe. Well, here is a short video from my third day, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlnKiFSjXmA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Bet ya thats the sled I dropped off at Highmark with 54% break in left last Sunday... Dont worry I broke it in for ya :face-icon-small-win

Your review is pretty spot on, that thing just works.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
One thing though, I believe that sled was 3".

You'd be correct! Highmark. But are you sure it was 3in? I always thought if it was 3in there was a sticker that had 3" on it. I could be wrong but I looked at the track more than once and I was pretty sure it was 2.5. I'm starting to feel like it was 3 inch just because that'd be amazing if that's what the 2.5 could do

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
the xm's said 3'' on the tunnel. the G4s do not. this is my 3 incher

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
That must be where I went wrong, used to the xm's posting it. okay the sled could very well have been a 3 incher

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I talked to one guy who felt that the 165 by 2.5 was the sweet spot for this sled in deep powder performance in most snow conditions--just a hear say.
I have found that in most applications the 3" track has very little advantage over a 2.5 and a lot of disadvantages as the snow sets up that is why mine is a 2.5 so is my main riding buddy's, my better halve just got hers and it is a 3" we will see how they compare this weekend.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
I talked to one guy who felt that the 165 by 2.5 was the sweet spot for this sled in deep powder performance in most snow conditions--just a hear say.
I have found that in most applications the 3" track has very little advantage over a 2.5 and a lot of disadvantages as the snow sets up that is why mine is a 2.5 so is my main riding buddy's, my better halve just got hers and it is a 3" we will see how they compare this weekend.

I am very curious also as I got g4 165 by 2.5 in track and feel it outdoes my 2013 xm 154 2.5 track in almost all situations so far and 1,000 cheaper than 3.0 in lug track and side hills way better than I could have ever imagined:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features