• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Annual emergency preparedness essentials thread

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
After hearing about the lost sledder I am going to make a few extra packs for those who come with me from out of town. Would love to hear what you guys bring/recommend. Thanks

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I always carry a 1 gal. Ziplock bag with dry foods (crackers, granola bars, gummy fruits, candy bars, etc) that will keep for awhile, and just leave it in my tunnel pack all season. Lighter, cheap thermo blanket, headlight, hand held as well, extra batteries, good length of thin nylon rope, and saw. Other stuff as well, but those are luxury items...no such thing as overkill!!

CanyonRat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Riverton, Utah
I agree, no such thing as overkill.
The ability to start and keep a fire going in the worst weather conditions along with the ability to create a makeshift shelter to protect you from the elements needs to be at the top of the list.

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I also recommend bringing along a couple of good riders who know what's up!

CanyonRat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Riverton, Utah
Back on Topic

Let's get this thread back on topic :) I think it's a great idea to really go over what we have in our packs and what works and what works better. I'm here to learn, I'm always looking to improve my level of preparedness as well as any worthwhile backcountry skill.

So what else do you guys carry in your packs????

Al

Always war

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2012
Utah
I was just going through my pack and found 4 glow sticks I had forgotten about. I think those would come in pretty handy. Also have a small first aid kit, and a cheap gps.

H

hkollie

Apr 21, 2013
Bright pink flagging....never to anywhere without flagging!
50 ft parachute cord (can tow with it if doubled).
Led Headlamp
Hand saw

Premium Features