• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

American racing great Danny Ongais

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam

American racing great Danny Ongais dead at 79 .​

Ongais became known as "The Flyin' Hawaiian" as he competed across a number of racing disciplines, including Formula One, sports cars and the NHRA.

1646172145325.png

During the 1981 Indy 500, Ongais survived one of the most dramatic crashes in the race's history when his car disintegrated after hitting the wall, leaving his legs and arms exposed as it burst into flames and skidded to a stop. He suffered several season-ending injuries, but returned to drive in the race the following year.

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
Very sad day. These guys are truly my heroes. No test/safety equipment. The run/crash was the test, and the builders and cars evolved from there. The stories and times of these legendary men can never be duplicated. The real meaning of “No Fear.” ?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Such a great era of IndyCar racing legends. I miss those guys terribly. Each and everyone of them are the coolest guys to ever walk the face of the earth. Sneva , Johncock, Rutherford, Mears, Foyt, Al, Bobby, Lil’ Al, Andretti all fabulous American icons. I even give a tip of a hat to Janet Guthrie. Such a cool woman.

Premium Features