• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

American Fork Canyon

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
If I didn't have a lot of time but just wanted to hit some snow for a few hours close to home, what would I expect from AF canyon??

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Rode AF canyon yesterday. The powder was killer! Went over and played on the Ant Knoll for a while. I didn't see anyone make it up to the top without poachin a track. It was DEEEEEEEEP!!! Wish I woulda got some pictures :(

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
Rode AF canyon yesterday. The powder was killer!

we were up there yesterday afternoon as well - went up towards Mineral Basin but couldn't get all the way to snowbird - powder was too deep in areas and just couldn't find any traction. the powder was amazing!!

afterwards, we made our way to Pole Line Pass and ran up and down that a few times. found a couple of untracked patches but it was all pretty well tore up - still fun tho.

Last edited:
F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
only been to af canyon once and I remember paying at the gate :mad: and feeling like avalanche danger was a little on the unavoidable side... Was some excellent riding though!

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Just got back from there yesterday. The trail back into there is brutal! Big bumps for 5 miles. They need to get a groomer on it. It beats you to death! The last 5 miles back out makes the great ride you just had seem like crap.

Highpockets

Premium Member
Aug 1, 2001
pleasant grove,utah
Did you ride towards mineral basin,silver lake,or midway ? I am planning on a quick run up tomorrow or sunday to see if the RX1 is acting normal,had cracked y-pipe and leak at turbo flange. Hope to hit some deep fresh snow !

J
Dec 30, 2007
Sandy, Utah
yamaDoo04 Is Right..

The Groomer must have gotten stolen...
AF canyon collects $3 and claim to have groomed trails on their OSV Map...:mad:

Avy's have not broken up the gultches but it looked close on 12-29-07...
Saw the Tying grave site from the Avy of 1906 !:mad:

Highpockets

Premium Member
Aug 1, 2001
pleasant grove,utah
My brother in law rode up there yesterday.Said it was without a doubt THE worst beating he had ever taken on a sled and he never got off the trail. Got back and could hardly walk ! I laughed til I cried,glad I spent the day plowing snow ! I dont think I have ever seen the trail groomed up there,anybody ?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
About 3 seasons ago the groomer quit grooming from Graveyard Flats down to Tibble Fork. That year there was a slide that blocked part of the trail. Also the narrow sidecut just below graveyard has some boulders, mud and rock that has slid down onto it, making an already narrow trail even worse. The groomer doesn't want risk damage so they only groom over from Snake creek and Cascade springs. Add to that all of the skiiers and treeFuggers that don't want to share and there is no pressure to groom it. I don't mind the 4-5 miles of bad road a few times a year because it weeds out alot of users that might ordinarily make the shorter drive but opt out for better trail. If you hit it after a decent dump, the bumps aren't too bad for the reward at the top.

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
The groomer doesn't want risk damage so they only groom over from Snake creek and Cascade springs. Add to that all of the skiiers and treeFuggers that don't want to share and there is no pressure to groom it.

I wondered why the trail was bad leaving the sno-park and then got better a few miles up...seemed backwards.

also got a bunch of dirty looks from the skiers who were on the trail as we reached the end going home. I wish whoever's in charge would just designate separate areas so we don't continue to annoy each other.

Premium Features