• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alaska snowmobilers missing

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
A member on another forum requested that someone post this on SnoWest for them.

Can one of the mods open this thread to everyone?

Hopefully they find these guys safe and sound.

SNOWMACHINERS MISSING: Hello, I am the step daughter of Dave Luce. He and my mom, Janice own ‘The Luce’s’ which is a store on the Yentna River in Alaska. Anyone who runs the Iron Dog up here probably knows them or maybe the store. Dave and another man from the river are missing and have been for maybe two and a half or three days. The State Troopers and the National Guard are trying to get a helicopter up as soon as the weather clears. There was a ground search last night, Tuesday, Nov 23rd by locals from the river and the Big Lake area. No one has found anything yet. I know that some of you in the Iron Dog competition have been going on the Yentna and Susitna already even though it is pretty nasty out there. I want to make you all aware of Dave and the other man missing so if you are going out there, you can keep your eyes open for any oddities that might give a clue where the two men are. I am getting more info from my mom and will add it in an additional post like the other man’s name. I know the other man is older, about 83 and Dave is in his 60s. Both are pretty tough though and have awesome survival skills since they have lived on the river for many, many years. I know they had told neighbors they planned to go into town for fuel so they would have each been on a machine and would have probably been pulling a sled each. I will get GPS for the store and post it as well. PLEASE note that my mom and the rest of us DO NOT want any of you to go looking for these guys unless you are already up in the area training. The river is VERY dangerous right now and there is a chance they have gone under the ice. We are hoping for the best, but if the two guys are still alive and are just stuck somewhere or something, they will be alright until they are found. We DO NOT want anyone risking their lives looking for them, so please don’t put yourselves in any harm. Just let us know if you have any information or find any clues on the trail if you are already our training. Sorry for the long post, I am rambling because it had been a long night for all of us. Also, if anyone is out by the Luce’s Store, please go up and check the rooms in the lodge and look in the store if you can. We want to make sure they are not at the store or the lodge. There has been no CB or phone contact with these guys for three days and Dave’s wife (my mom) was just diagnosed with cancer yesterday and Dave knew she would find out if she had cancer or not yesterday, so he would have called for certain. Besides, he and my mom talk on the phone every night and morning while she is in town and she has been in for over a week. I will post pics if I am able to do that on here in another post. I will leave my phone number on here as well in case anyone has any information. My number is 817-366-0922 and I am Vicky. I live in Texas at the moment, but call anytime if you have any information. Thanks to all of you even if you aren’t in the area. I know snowmachiners since I was born and grew up around them, and you would all go out there looking if you could. Again, DO NOT put your own lives at risk please! Please say a prayer for these guys regardless and plan for the worst, but hope and pray for the best.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Everyone can already see this post/thread.

Everybody please take note of this. shortstop....if you get pics of the men, please post them up. Anyone else having pics of the area, or whom might know anything...PLEASE chime in. These men need to be brought home.

S
Feb 3, 2010
Sutton, AK
AK TROOPERS REPORT

Case number: 10-110808
Type: Search and Rescue
Text: On 11/22/10 at approximately 1400 hours, Alaska State Troopers
received a report of two overdue snowmachiners, Dave Luce, age 65 of
Willow, and Russ Bevans, Age 71 of Willow. The two men have not been
seen or heard from for approximately thirty-six hours since making a
trip to pick-up heating fuel for their cabins. It is believed that Luce
and Bevans may have been traveling to either the Deshka Landing in
Willow or to a residence in Big Lake. It is believed that Luce and
Bevans are driving yellow, Ski-doo, widetrack snowmobiles.
At this time information is limited regarding their actual departure
time, destination, or actual purpose for the trip. Weather in the area
is poor, 32F, mist, freezing rain, and fog. The Susitna and Yentna
Rivers are developing many open leads, ice is shifting and there is a
lot of new overflow. Snow conditions on the ground are poor to fair
with snow depth ranging between 12" to 18". The Alaska State Troopers
and RCC are assessing whether conditions which are currently restricting
both ground and aerial search efforts. If you have any information
regarding this Search and Rescue please contact the Alaska State
Troopers in Wasilla at 352-5401. Investigation is ongoing.
Author: TJS3
Received Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:23 PM and posted Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:12 PM

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Happy they were found and both alive. Too many times these things do not end well. Prayers out for Russ and just glad they were found in time.

Make sure to tell your loved ones how much you care for them this Holiday season, too many times, we don't know when the last time we could see them may be.

Premium Features