• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket airbow for 08 600 carb?

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
I have to change jets regularly and my stock airbox gives me fits every time I reinstall it. The boots on the box WILL NOT seat properly on the carbs until I waste hours fighting with it. I have tried everything, literally everything and none of the tricks work. Somehow I eventually get it right but the next time it's another fight. My local shops tell me there's no aftermarket box available for an easier fit. Is this true? I don't think K&Ns will clear the jackshaft and I'm out of ideas.

D

dotter

Mar 10, 2009
Red wing MN
air box

Gut the airbox, install a slp air horn, then you can get your arm inside the air box and feel the carb boots. Slightly pull up the carb body from inside, this will help slip the boots over the carbs. you can feel if the boots are in place. This will make it much easier, good luck!!!!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Gut the airbox, install a slp air horn, then you can get your arm inside the air box and feel the carb boots. Slightly pull up the carb body from inside, this will help slip the boots over the carbs. you can feel if the boots are in place. This will make it much easier, good luck!!!!

X2...

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Less responsive gutting the airbox, plus alot more intake noise. Pull up on the carbs a bit and airbox will slide right in, takes some practice but just takes a few seconds after you get the hang of it. install an AATAC or Tempaflow and no more changing jets.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I used to have the same problem Then I would grab the carb rack in the middle and pul really hard and it will drop in everytime. Mine is gutted so I can reach my hand in there and run my finger around each carb to make sure they are truly inside the boot with no folds. Simple.

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks everyone for the info. I discovered I could wedge a prybar behind the air box to force it over the carbs, that seemed to work really well when no amount of pulling up on the carbs would work. What all is involved in gutting the air box? Can I just glue the foam seal back on after reassembly? Finally what is the best altitude compensator and where can I order one? Is the installation simple?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Considering Polaris has updated the 600 carb'd boots 3 times, I'm not a big fan of reefing on the carbs to help facilitate the ease of the air box installation.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Dont tighten down the clamps on the carbs until after you get the airbox back in place. That helps alot as well. Both in ease of doing so, and making the carb boots live longer.

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
Dont tighten down the clamps on the carbs until after you get the airbox back in place. That helps alot as well. Both in ease of doing so, and making the carb boots live longer.

Good point ultra! Just snug the clamps a little, so the carbs don't pop out when you pull up, but they'll still lift easily, to slip the box in place.

SD

D

Dekk

Jun 22, 2011
Hawarden Iowa

That works really well for a edge, but you can not get to the hose clamps on a IQ once the air box is in.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I believe they are good and strong even if you pull up on them. But once they get fuel on them for a while and start to delaminate they are shot if you pull up on them or not. So as long as your boots are good you can pull up on the carbs with out any ill effects.

Premium Features