• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Advice for riding a 2012 Polaris pro rmk 800 163

B
Feb 14, 2015
WI, UP
Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice for my girlfriend on riding off trail.. she's ridden trails before here and there on older sleds, but never boondocked or been on a long track. She really wants to get into it and I want it to be the beat experience possible for her.. she's 5'5" and about 125lbs if that helps anything at all

So the questions..

Advice for turning/carving?

Good gear to wear? All my stuff is way to big for her

And I guess any advice you wish you were told starting out?

Thank you for your time!
Justin

P
Jan 9, 2016
Biggest thing I can say is have lots of patience nothing kills the mood quicker than showing even an ounce of frustration at the 100th time being stuck.

Good female fitted gear that is warm and dry. If she is cold or wet it will kill the mood quickly. That said layers are so so important. I get cold quick on the trail and hot even quicker working in the back country. I wear motorfist gear but trying some Klim this year. Anything from Klim or motorfist is good to go. I hear good things about tobe and fxr too for what it's worth.

Practice practice practice.

Can't speak on the being lightweight, I'm 180lbs geared up with avy pack, beacon, shovel, and probe. If you can put the ski bushings on the outside to bring the skis in as much as they can go, it helps on tipping it over. It's a bit early for narrow front end and lower handlebars but those help allot once you have a bit of idea the dynamics going on. The stock pro rmk bars are too high for me and keep my elbows bent too much taking away some control in my opinion. In 5'6" and going to a 5" rise on bars from stock 7" on the pro helped allot. I went with 1" offset spindles last year on 39" a arms and am going to 36" a arms this year.

Again changing any parts on sled is too soon at this point. With her being smaller and lighter she is going to have to work on skill to get the sled to do what she wants off the trial. Skill is better than weight anyways.

Probably one of the most recommended things or so I hear would be to get her in a women's clinic that she can learn from other women that have figured out the fine skills and finesse to get the sled to do what you want it to do.

I'm sure if I'm missing something but others will be along to give better advise than me.

My advice to myself now back then would be, be patient and don't be so hard on myself.

Oh I should mention my sled is a 12 pro rmk 800 163.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Hi everyone! I'm looking for advice for my girlfriend on riding off trail.. she's ridden trails before here and there on older sleds, but never boondocked or been on a long track. She really wants to get into it and I want it to be the beat experience possible for her.. she's 5'5" and about 125lbs if that helps anything at all

So the questions..

Advice for turning/carving?

Good gear to wear? All my stuff is way to big for her

And I guess any advice you wish you were told starting out?

Thank you for your time!
Justin

The absolute best things for me were:

1. Snowmobiling gear that fit me. Start too warm, better to have layers to peel off than to be cold. Look for something gear to borrow/buy second hand. You don't want to invest big before you know she loves it. Girls get cold easy and if they get cold they won't go again.

2. Follow someone closely and move exactly as they move. Jump from side to side just like them so you learn how the center of gravity works on the sled and get there quick when she get's stuck. Nothing worse when you are barley beginning to be exhausted and feel like you have no help. Preferably follow another lady rider.

3. Pick a beautiful day to take her boondocking. The better viability the move confidence she will have.

4. Stay close enough to a road that if she gets worn out you have a easy way back.

5. Tell her to move her feet around on the running boards until it feels right, she doesn't need to stand exactly like all the guys do. Her stature is different.

6. Wear BCA link radios or something similar. Communication is key!

She will love that sled. That will be a good one for her to take boondocking! :face-icon-small-hap

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Missy advice is spot on!
My wife is 5'6"-125lbs, she started riding in her late forties. Best progress for her (as far as boon docking skills) was made doing ladies clinics. Dan Adams Next Level clinic was exactly that, her riding went to the next level. She is now picking her own lines, holding side hills and carving pow turns easily.
A good clinic will provide the foundation and then practice those techniques.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 81
B
Feb 14, 2015
WI, UP
Thank you everyone for the advice!

She is beyond excited for this winter and already found some gear to borrow from one of her friends.

She read through all of the replies and has been asking questions and watching videos like crazy.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!

Justin

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
From my experience getting my wife into the sport:

1. Buy her the best gear money can buy that fits her.

2. BCA Link radio is a MUST. This way she can ask questions if you're around the corner or up a hill. Useful to warn of upcoming obstacles or do a health check ;)

3. YOU (and only you!) do all the digging/wrestling with the stuck sled. If she's exhausted 2 hours into the day, it's not going to get any better.

4. Make sure you tell her what she's doing right more than you explain how to do things. Encourage and boost her confidence.

5. Teach her to look ahead, not at her ski tips. Maintaining momentum is key depending on snow conditions.

My wife is 5'5" 110lbs and would secretly love to attend a clinic but is to scared of embarrassing herself. I'm not sure what the big deal is, I embarrass myself all the time and it's not so bad :)

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
From my experience getting my wife into the sport:

1. Buy her the best gear money can buy that fits her.

2. BCA Link radio is a MUST. This way she can ask questions if you're around the corner or up a hill. Useful to warn of upcoming obstacles or do a health check ;)

3. YOU (and only you!) do all the digging/wrestling with the stuck sled. If she's exhausted 2 hours into the day, it's not going to get any better.

4. Make sure you tell her what she's doing right more than you explain how to do things. Encourage and boost her confidence.

5. Teach her to look ahead, not at her ski tips. Maintaining momentum is key depending on snow conditions.

My wife is 5'5" 110lbs and would secretly love to attend a clinic but is to scared of embarrassing herself. I'm not sure what the big deal is, I embarrass myself all the time and it's not so bad :)

That is some great advice up there that I highlighted.

I also embarrass myself several times on a daily basis.
Also Let her know that getting stuck WILL happen. I tell new riders that they will be stuck several times before the day is over because I plan on doing it myself several times EVERY RIDE. Don't get frustrated by it and look forward to the learning experience.

Premium Features