• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

adding bov or bypass to BD sidekick turbo

D
Feb 6, 2024
Revelstoke
running 2018 axis with bd side kick turbo, looking at adding ether a bov or bypass valve with weak boost spring. Ive seen on a fair bit of posts where people are running a bov but I haven't seen anyone run a bypass valve. curious if someone's done it and why that's not a more popular install.the bypass seems like the better option of the 2 with keeping the turbo spooled by redirecting the compressed air back to the intake side rather then venting to atmosphere.

thx

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
My mtntk kit recirculated boost when you let off. Kept it spooled up. Way better throttle response on that kit over my sidekick. Not sure how you could rig it up but I know it works great

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Two different objectives like you stated. I’ve had a sidekick since 2018 and never had any issues with over boost or turbo surge effecting my Garrett 2860. I’m extremely hard on and off the throttle. Don’t see any reason to add a BOV.

I think a recirculating valve or something like the TRS Powervalve would be beneficial to stay on top or on boost.

What gearing and clutching are you running?

D
Feb 6, 2024
Revelstoke
Two different objectives like you stated. I’ve had a sidekick since 2018 and never had any issues with over boost or turbo surge effecting my Garrett 2860. I’m extremely hard on and off the throttle. Don’t see any reason to add a BOV.

I think a recirculating valve or something like the TRS Powervalve would be beneficial to stay on top or on boost.

What gearing and clutching are you running?
QD2 for gearing oem primary secondary and helix with bd 65g or 67g weights with #12 capsules

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have tried a BOV on a BD kit. There wasn’t sufficient signal from the TB to activate the BOV.
That trial was with an internal wastegated 2860.
You are in need of a better clutch setup.

Premium Features