• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

97 580 PS EFI Holding High Revs

S
Dec 9, 2010
Wrangell, AK
I just picked up a batteryless efi ps 580 from my contractor for my girlfriend as a trail/cabin sled.

Real quick history:

The sleds in pretty good shape, less than 2K miles, engine has good compression... pistons and cylinders look good. Get's good spark.

I was told that the only problem it has is that the pinch welds on the pipe are blown out... which is no big deal. It's blown out along the seam for about 12 inches, and then has two good size cracks running across the pipe where it tapers back to the can. I'll have it welded up today.

However, after siphoning out the old gas, and replacing it with new gas, and putting a little engine assembly oil in the cylinders and priming it a few times with the plugs out, popped the plugs back in and got it started in two pulls.

Idle sounds like a typical 2 stroke, I clamped the blown out pipe just to make sure it ran. There was some leakage, but didn't seem to be any real issues.... Until! I gave the sled some gas. If I blip the throttle it seems a bit boggy, but not bad... but get the revs over 5000 rpm and they don't want to come back down. It doesn't race, doesn't modulate, just holds the rpms you bring it up to. The throttle body's are opening and closing, the throttle cable isn't sticking.

Obviously it's going to need some work. But how much will dictate whether or not I keep the sled. I've heard they run great when they run, and I'm more familiar with efi than with carbs. After some research it looks like the ecu is throwing a code 1 flash, two seconds, 1 flash. Does this mean that the TPS is bad? or that there is just a funky condition that may be caused by a lean condition due to the hole in the pipe? And does the TPS just stop working or does it come out of adjustment?

My plan of action will be (if I'm not walking into a $500 fix it project): Weld exhaust, Pull motor, clean up the engine bay, clean up and reseal all grounds and all electrical connections, replace throttle body couplers/hoses, and then a TPS/throttle body setup.

Should that do it? Will I have a reliable running sled that won't run off into the woods and mangle my baby's mother (a bit morbid, but worst case scenario), or is this sled that I'll use 3 or 4 times a year going to become a money pit (more so than a normal sled).

One more question, I have seen a lot of battery efi TPS/throttle body setups for sale used, BUT, are the battery efi sled TPS's compatible with the batteryless efi TPS's?

Really appreciate your knowledge and help here! I ride a suzuki sv1000 and know how great their engines can be, and I'd love to keep a suzuki powered sled in the garage to keep the crotch rocket company next to the Yami ATV and Sled :) :tea:

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Is the belt on the clutches? It should engage at 4000 or so, if you are running without the belt yes they will stay up because the belt slows the motor. As far as tps I had one go bad on a 02 800 and never had a code come up, just a good cat tech that figured it out. There is no exhaust sensor of any kind on that or back pressure sensor for the efi, I would weld it up and run it.

S
Dec 9, 2010
Wrangell, AK
I ran it with the track in the air with the belt on, and then removed the belt when I moved the sled out of the garage so I could work on my other sled. Did the same thing both times.

I'll weld up the pipe, and check for cracks in the boots (seal them up if there are), and see if there are any changes... then report back!

S
Dec 9, 2010
Wrangell, AK
So I must have been smoking crack, because it's not throwing a TPS code, it's throwing a coolant temp sensor code (2 flashes-2 seconds). In the past week, I also bypassed the tss system for giggles.

The sled starts first pull. Revs ok, but boggs pretty good until it blows itself out... then takes off. Is this the typical with coolant temp sensor symptoms?

How do you test the temp sensor? I checked all of the wiring and it's all ok. Pulled off thermostat housing and pulled it.. there's not much I can do for a visual inspection of the unit.

I ordered another temp sensor and hope to solve the problem but in the mean time I'd like to test it to verify it's bad.

Premium Features