• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Mountain Cat opinions?

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
This picture helps:

16Widetrack.jpg

By putting a drop bracket on your skid it helps a ton with your attack angle and stance of the rear suspension. There are a few other adjustments you can make that will help with the handling of the sled, so take a few 9/16" wrenches with you (and maybe a ratchet strap) on the hill and tinker with it until it feels right.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Idacatman,"76, And Untouchable If you were to put an aftermarket pipe on what would it be for a single? CPI, Speedwerx, SLP etc...? Has any of you replaced the stock Y pipe with an aftermarket? What was the intent of the baffle inside the stocker, Throttle response, Less exhaust dilution in cylinders? I seem to recall not to mix up the carbed Y pipe with the EFI one on the "05 and later ones. Also the 03.5 had 8mm opening reeds in them, "04 and later ZR's and I don't know if the KK went to 11mm reed stops. Heard this makes a difference in all around performance, Cheap upgrade without the expense of aftermarket reeds. The other thing is the 9 post clutch, Works good but I think it is a "cracker" Would replace with later model 6 post? An 03.5 will run hard, Just keep varying the throttle through the mid range lean spot. Mine seems to be one of those one off sleds, I often wonder if it is really is 862cc! Maybe thats why they BB the XP to this size?

Mike

I had a SLP single on the sled when I got it... sadly I hit a tree doing about 60mph in Cooke City and had to replace it. OOOPS
I went with a Speedwerx Single and Y-pipe because they could get it to me the next day so I could ride (note:eek:ver-nighting a pipe is fricken expensive!!!) I actually noticed a fair amount of difference between the two pipes, the Speedwerx had a lot more low end grunt.

Personally I feel the twins are only worth it if youre looking to run WFO for long periods, and yes the singles hurt you on performance but they have the low end to get you around. Plus the singles are less finneky to tune with altitude and temperature changes.

Beleive it or not, It actually ran after this! (just not very good)
0220081048.jpg

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I'm sorry, I don't believe in a 16 wide........

That chassis is already hard to pull a carve. Ski-Doo has alway told us that it is a plus, but I've never bought into it. Clearance is important for clearing out snow and any rubbing will drain HP. I'm even thinking the Simmons skis have to go. They fight you back as you try to pull the sled on it's side. There will be a penalty when going downhill, as the nose won't hold up as well as with the wide slis, but I believe it will carve better.
Has anyone else had SJ's brackets wear out?

Owen

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
I had a SLP single on the sled when I got it... sadly I hit a tree doing about 60mph in Cooke City and had to replace it. OOOPS
I went with a Speedwerx Single and Y-pipe because they could get it to me the next day so I could ride (note:eek:ver-nighting a pipe is fricken expensive!!!) I actually noticed a fair amount of difference between the two pipes, the Speedwerx had a lot more low end grunt.

Personally I feel the twins are only worth it if youre looking to run WFO for long periods, and yes the singles hurt you on performance but they have the low end to get you around. Plus the singles are less finneky to tune with altitude and temperature changes.

Beleive it or not, It actually ran after this! (just not very good)
0220081048.jpg

Had the same experience. Smacked an SLP single on a tree. Replaced it with a speedwerx single and a y-pipe. Made a definite improvement. Also have another 05 900 with cpi twins. It sounds better but both run about the same however the twins have to be jetted hotter.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
High Time, I agree with you 100% A 16" wide will rub no matter what, They all walk back and forth! I for one feel that there should be some bleed down room for air and snow that is rammed in the tunnel. This is one reason I feel the M series has clutch and track speed problems? The 1M series is originally a road sled, Converted to a mtn. sled! It needs to be raised up about 2" up front and the same in the rear. Then it will be more tippy like a M series, With a forward mtd. post should be similar? Grind down the steering stops and call it good! There are a few that took Doo's and went to 15" If you look at track weight it is an anchor, And would have more rolling resistance because it is stiffer being wider. Traction wise it should grip and float a little better LG for LG. Just lighten up the sled and keep the 15", Best of both worlds in a 17" wide tunnel! Ultra, Was there anything left of the sled worth keeping besides the engine?

Enough
Mike

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
It depends on if youre looking to put a 16 wide under it or not. The SJ are really nice and come with all the equipment to clear a 16 wide track (WELL WORTH IT). I made my own set of brackets and then fit a set of 8" bogy wheels to clear the wider track. The SJ backets will help with the rear transfer and eliminate some of the trenching.

So are you catching my drift that the 16 wide track is a good idea?.....

I used the Holtz brackets with 8" wheels to mount a 16 wide and it works great. I would highly recommend the 16 wide Extreme:D

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I'm a big fan of the 16 myself. I went from the stock A20 to the Extreme, whole new sled. I realize that the A20 to the Extreme isn't quite apples to apples so maybe I'd be just as happy with the 15. I do like the flotation and have ported the track so I think the flow is pretty good. No rubbing on mine.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
I had a 15 wide Extreme on mine til I hit a rock last year and ripped the track length wise, and since I had to replace it I went with a 16 Extreme. I have had NO rubbing at all, but maybe thats because I have extroverts and they dont let the track walk from side to side. If I were to recomend a track I'd go with the 16X2.5 exteme, just my $0.02

Going back to the skis, I rode my buddies King that had Simmons Gen I skis and I thought it sidehilled like chit. Powder Pros work well on this chassis too, but I didnt see enough of a difference between the stock set thats on mine.

Boss

U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
162x16x2.5 Extreme on mine, no rubbing at all. HRP drop brackets and Holz skid. Climbs like crazy and rides so smooth on the rough trail. I have the Gen2's and they are better than stock, but I've heard the PP's are better.

P
Nov 20, 2008
One of my regular riding buddies has the 16x162x2.25 and it make a huge difference hes a big boy and that track safes his *** every ride. 300 pound rider with the MAD MAX 1000cc jugs and a 40 shot of happy gas he has been able to crawl around me in the trees thanks to the flotation.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Well, I guess I was wrong on that, They must work very well! I wish they had a 15.5" just to save weight and have added clearance! Oh, Well I guess Cat herding wasn't my game!

Mike

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I don't think a half inch on each side could make any real dif.

on way or the other, but I'll bet the Simmons are too wide for many conditions. I sure like them on the trail though. Yes , comparing the Attack to the Extreme is not fair. 15 or 16 wide. My sled doesn't go over backwards as easy now as it did with the Attack on backwards. Doesn't trench as bad either. Great track.

Owen

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
This thread has been great! Have been looking at the king a little bit as the prices are getting down there. Thought i would just ask some opinions... most everyone on here seems to have a wealth of knowledge on the 900s as well as experience on the M series.... for a comparable price (3500-4000) what would you choose (stock)... 900 king or M-7. Consider... STOCK.? Im really on the fence here...

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I myself KK, Only because I like power and durability! Otherwise a newer M7 chassis and punched out to a 925 would be the ticket! The 700 is very dependable even @ 925cc.

Mike

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
for a comparable price (3500-4000) what would you choose (stock)... 900 king or M-7. Consider... STOCK.? Im really on the fence here...

Stock for stock..... No question the M7 all the way! The stock M7 rides and handles better!

Mod for mod..... No question the 900 all the way! The Modded 900 will tear your arms off!

What do you like to do more? Freestyle and Boondock or Race and Climb?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
AC, I like that! "It will literally tear your arms off" A 700 sewing machine, Or a 900 punch press! More or less just think of it like a 370bhp 350 LT1 chev, Against a 427 ZR1. Both will get there but one much sooner!

Mike

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Stock for stock..... No question the M7 all the way! The stock M7 rides and handles better!

Mod for mod..... No question the 900 all the way! The Modded 900 will tear your arms off!

^^^x2
the 7 is sooo much fun for a stocker and is an over achiever for a 7.
but not a 900 the mid range power on the 9 is hard to replace. you must have the 7 on the gas before you need it and the 9 will recover just by pure troque. The 7 will blow your mind with how well it moves in the trees but the 9 is no slouch, i have each and if your new to the sport go with the 7, if you have some ride time under your belt (5-10+ years) the kk is a cheap alt to the turbo power of today's needs with a ton of cheap parts and a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I am running a coil over with a 156 x 16 x 2.5 on 153 rails and it is great in the trees and still floats and climbs great.

Premium Features