• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Summit X vs 850 SP ????

R
Nov 16, 2016
A few weeks ago, I got a chance to ride a 2019 850 Summit SP 154 and loved it.
The SP has the wider ski stance and the standard suspension, whereas the X has the more narrow stance and the better suspension. So..... I am considering picking up a new or newer 850 154 w 3" paddles this spring or summer.

I have five machines, one of which is an older Summit X pre-Tmotion.
I'm thinking that the narrow ski stance is good for me.
I like riding that machine, but not as well as the 2019 Summit SP with the more wide ski stance.

Typical riding and info :
I am 71 years old, I am fit, and I'm able to keep up with my younger family group.
I do not do any high marking.... I leave that to the younger group!
I ride mostly trails, do some climbing and some off-camber stuff, etc.

One candidate:

2018 850 Summit X 154 w/ 3" paddles.
281 miles...... absolutely cherry!
Shot system.
A market front bumper.
A market brake lever and reservoir.
Exhaust can.
OEM exhaust muffler (no value to me)
6 LINQ brackets on tunnel. (no LINQ bags)
Brand new OEM tow cover.
Belly skid guard.
24 months left on $2k factory extended and transferrable, no deductible, bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Seller is firm at $10,000.
No title transfer fees, etc.

Candidate #2:

new 2020 850 Summit SP sled at approx. $12.5 k and w/o the accessories.

I would like to hear from you who have ridden both the X and SP, and see what your thoughts are as to the differences.

My questions are:

1.... It is worth getting the X or will the SP do just as well for me?

2..... Have there been changes to 2020 850 Summit X or SP chassis that the 2018 would not have or benefit from?

3..... If so, what are these changes and are they something to consider?

4.... Does the 2018 summit X deal appear to be OK, considering the 281 miles, pristine condition, the accessories and the warranty, etc?

5.... Given that I like the more narrow ski stance, would it be worth getting that option?

Last edited:

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
The sp models have the same width front a the x. The only difference is the shock package. On the x you can get the shocks rebuilt on the sp throw them away and buy new when they wear out.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Too much money for both. I would look elsewhere. 18 is 3 going on 4 seasons old and i bet there are waaaay better deal on holdovers. X models usually have better shocks and boards. They have same ski stance

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
A few weeks ago, I got a chance to ride a 2019 850 Summit SP 154 and loved it.
The SP has the wider ski stance and the standard suspension, whereas the X has the more narrow stance and the better suspension. So..... I am considering picking up a new or newer 850 154 w 3" paddles this spring or summer.

I have five machines, one of which is an older Summit X pre-Tmotion.
I'm thinking that the narrow ski stance is good for me.
I like riding that machine, but not as well as the 2019 Summit SP with the more wide ski stance.

I would like to hear from you who have ridden both the X and SP, and see what your thoughts are as to the differences.
It is worth getting the X or will the SP do just as well for me?

Does the 2018 summit X deal appear to be OK, considering the 281 miles, pristine condition, the accessories and the waranty, etc?

Ok, so an sp and an x both have the narrow suspension. If the sp you drove had a wider suspension, then the guy who owned it must have bought a different front end after the fact.

There is little difference in the sp vs the x. the shocks are valved exactly the same (from what i've gathered) but the x shocks are rebuildable. I'm a small guy at about 175lb, I beat on a sp for a year and a half and had no complaints with the base shocks.

Also the x has different running boards.. I had no complaints about the sp boards at all..

An X will have a little better resale.

I believe if both have the same track you will feel no difference going from one to the other.. however, I have noticed my 2020s feel a little better than my old 2017 did. not sure what it is.. but I like it.

R
Nov 16, 2016
The X model that I looked at has the more narrow ski stance.
I will need to verify the ski stance of my daughter-in-law's SP that I rode.

Keep in mind that given my age, I do not ride hard.

I will say, that on the day that I rode the 850 SP, I could feel that I was able to negotiate side hills much better. It felt as though I had much better control.
I also feel like I have better control when riding my older Summit X with the more narrow ski stance.

I appreciate the comments.... please keep them coming!

Last edited:
E
Jul 23, 2008
I would prefer the stance wider for mixed riding. The x and the sp share most everything except running boards, shocks and graphics. Also consider a freeride it would run trails much better and have better shocks. Off trail would still be effective. 3" paddles might not be necessary but if you like it go for it. 2.5 would be more durable, more control in a wider range of snow conditions.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The ski stance is adjustable on both sleds. You can set it wide, narrow or in the center.

R
Nov 16, 2016
NHRoadking said:
The ski stance is adjustable on both sleds. You can set it wide, narrow or in the center.

NHRoadking, I know that the ski mount bolt spacer can be changed from one side to the other giving us about 1" of offset either way. I'm talking about the ski stance regarding the different lengths of the upper and lower A arms, as in longer -vs- shorter... I.E., wider -vs- more narrow.

My older X machine has the shorter upper/lower A arms, bringing the ski stance closer together.
There is an additional adjustment via the spacer location..... I.E., inside -vs- outside.

I'm not following you regarding the "in the center".
In order to center the skis, you would need two spacers (each being half of the length of a normal spacer)....... and with one on either side of the spindle.

Last edited:
E
Jul 23, 2008
You can center them by purchasing aftermarket bushing or they give you a nice centerline to cut your stock bushing in half.

Ski stance has been 36" on every summit sp and summit x xm and g4 chassis since 13.

Freeride stance was 38" on the xm and the g4 146 and under until this year 21. Freeride was offered in a 154 2.5 s 38 package until 19.

For those that want a wider stance Zollinger makes an offset spindle. Cheaper and easier then an a arm kit.

S
Mar 7, 2011
Montrose, CO
I agree with above, $10k is way to much for an '18 even though she's a cherry, I do have that exact sled though & it's been a riot, the sled is better than my ability. That being said though I've never owned a X package, so I'm checking a 165 turbo right now. As for pricing on an '18 I would say 8500-9k at tops for a cherry, I ride pretty hard & mine is not cherry & I plan to get it gone for $7k

E
Oct 11, 2019
I paid $9999 brand new for a 154 sp shot 850 in the past. You can find left overs for same or maybe 3-400 more. I have a freeride now but life was easier on the SP lol. Stick with the SP.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Holdover '19 850 sp could be had a year ago for $11k, so something another couple years old with riding/abuse should be well under $10k, IMO.

At under 300 miles, and as cherry as it is, this machine shows no signs of having been abused.

Although $10k may be a bit high, keep in mind that it is being offered with:

Full Skid plate. Linq brackets. Skinz Front Bumper. TKI Reservoir Protector. Skidoo flexible mount Hand Guards. Updated Clutch Vent Kit. Spare OEM drive belt. MBRP Race Can. Brand new Skidoo Tow Cover. Extreme Warranty until Nov.14 2022 with 0 deductible.

I don't mind paying a bit too much for one that is this cherry.

Thanks again for your comments, and please keep them coming if you have something else to add.

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Seasons over and there is no rush and there gonna be better deals to be had!

If you keep the sled a long time go with an X so you can have the shocks refreshed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Agreed on 2020 SP. They will be $9999 soon and Best warranty for 3 years isn't that expensive. X doesn't offer much but unique color. I have a X now btw.

Premium Features