• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
My first ride this weekend coming up. 154 x 3"
Using High elevation brp kit [pl/pl (170/350), 967 ramp w/16.7g pivot at low elevation. Recommended clicker #3 for 4000~6000 feet
Im at 600~1100 feet so added 0.9g estimated for difference of 5000' to 1000' elevation [5000feet - 1000feet = 4000 feet (c)] then... (0.9 grams x 4(c) = 3.6g)
Added the pivot weight to 19.5 grams, maintaining clicker 3. I'll being weights with me.

Stock gearing is for 66mph @ 1:1, 74mph @ 1/2 overdrive, 80mph @ full overdrive
I expect this to pull 7900~8000 and then say when i get to a place where I can open it up to get somewhere between 66~74mph, engine speed will start to drift low.

I hope these calculations are correct. :juggle:
Have the 170/400 spring too I can change out.

Really im just dying to strip out the clutch parts and throw the new shiz in and go test but....patience Joe, patience (me talking to myself) ha..:face-icon-small-ton

doo drops the spring 100 lbs and adds about the same weight (heavier arm/lighter pin) for low elevation and the black spring, you wont need the 400-BJ

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
After breaking this all down and watching some gopro vids of my test guys sucking the engine down 500 rpms - this is my guess.

The stock 850 clutching is sooo close in elements/forces as the latest 800etec summit (stock) clutching other than a relative position in two points...

1] the start force of the primary spring is 10 lbs more than the 800etec summit clutching.

2] the start of the 967 ramp (first 1/4 of arc) produces the same force curve as the blend of a 413~415 TRA ramp.

After the 1/4 of the 967 ramp the force generated is the same as a 441 ramp to top end.

The "quick" response people are impressed with is the start angle of the cam arm and also due to the sheave remains in parallel compared to the older "more loose fit" TRA 7 primary.

I got some other calculations up my sleeve I been figuring out - im going to work on and try to prove in error.

Wyopowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
Issue

My pull starter free spooled about half of my re-starts today but of course it won't do it back at the truck or garage. But not enough snow to have any other opinions on how it rides.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
My pull starter free spooled about half of my re-starts today but of course it won't do it back at the truck or garage. But not enough snow to have any other opinions on how it rides.

My pull starter took a complete dump on me today30mi. Had to use the rope on the clutch to get out?

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
maybe its a good thing my sled hasn't arrived yet, I still have time to abandon ship

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
Found oil in the bottom of the belly below the clutch. Could be part of the issue? Its not much but might have been cleaned up.

20161125_212814.jpg 20161125_212719.jpg 20161125_212712.jpg

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
I'm fairly unimpressed with my 850, talk about an over-rated and over-hyped snowmobile. Its no wonder they didn't have any demos available for us to try last spring, I would never have sold my T3's if I would have I ridden the 850 before hand. I've ridden the sled 2 days and I can draw some conclusions about issues they should have figured out before releasing them to the public, makes you wonder if their engineers/testers even ride snowmobiles.....

1- The porting on the front of the running boards does not evacuate snow, you loose the 1st foot of your running board to snow build up and it can't be easily modified because the steel protector for the chaincase and brake stick out way too far under the aluminum running boards. You can't use the part of the running board you often need the most because its full of snow.

2- There are no tow hooks, you can only push down with your feet and can't pull up, loosing half your leverage is a major step backward.

3- The front end rides light, it's squirly on trail and the sled doesn't get on plane in deep snow, the back end trenches down like a boat that can't get on top of the water.

4-The panelling is still very bulky, could easily have been slimmed up by 1-1.5 inches on either side.

5-Took my hood off this afternoon and noticed the EGT wasn't in the pipe...

6-Some of the wiring from the reverse switch has exposed copper where the plastic/rubber casing has cracked- my snowmobile has 45 km on it?!?

7- The tool kit characterizes Ski-Doo's arrogance perfectly. They will leave you to die out there.

8- Ski-Doo supports commercial guiding operations that have operated without approved tenures/sub-licenses for years in BC! (Not relevant to the 850 but worth mentioning)

The throttle response is better off the bottom but it doesn't feel like there is anymore power in the top end than of the T3. Its really disappointing that these sleds fall short considering all the hype Ski-Doo has generated for them. I'm in for 2 of them this year, what a waste of $35K! Goes to show, try before you buy! JMHO.

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
Belts

From the looks of the sled and having tore it apart I see a lot of small issues. First the venting in the nose is twice as big as T3 venting with gaping holes to allow snow dust in along with it melting and creating a steam compartment which isn't good for belt life. Second all the felt and foam that's there for sound needs to go. I've removed all of mine from clutch cover as well as felt above belt, the piece that blocks air box(traps heat). I've also installed the fine screen material in front of the venting in the nose as not to allow snow dust. Waiting for a turbo to install so haven't ridden yet but have done all the above on all my other sleds and had no issues with belts.
My .02

G

ghost rider

Dec 1, 2007
I'm fairly unimpressed with my 850, talk about an over-rated and over-hyped snowmobile. Its no wonder they didn't have any demos available for us to try last spring, I would never have sold my T3's if I would have I ridden the 850 before hand. I've ridden the sled 2 days and I can draw some conclusions about issues they should have figured out before releasing them to the public, makes you wonder if their engineers/testers even ride snowmobiles.....

1- The porting on the front of the running boards does not evacuate snow, you loose the 1st foot of your running board to snow build up and it can't be easily modified because the steel protector for the chaincase and brake stick out way too far under the aluminum running boards. You can't use the part of the running board you often need the most because its full of snow.

2- There are no tow hooks, you can only push down with your feet and can't pull up, loosing half your leverage is a major step backward.

3- The front end rides light, it's squirly on trail and the sled doesn't get on plane in deep snow, the back end trenches down like a boat that can't get on top of the water.

4-The panelling is still very bulky, could easily have been slimmed up by 1-1.5 inches on either side.

6-Some of the wiring from the reverse switch has exposed copper where the plastic/rubber casing has cracked- my snowmobile has 45 km on it?!?

7- The tool kit characterizes Ski-Doo's arrogance perfectly. They will leave you to die out there.

8- Ski-Doo supports commercial guiding operations that have operated without approved tenures/sub-licenses for years in BC! (Not relevant to the 850 but worth mentioning)

The throttle response is better off the bottom but it doesn't feel like there is anymore power in the top end than of the T3. Its really disappointing that these sleds fall short considering all the hype Ski-Doo has generated for them. I'm in for 2 of them this year, what a waste of $35K! Goes to show, try before you buy! JMHO.
Sounds like I'm going to b glad I kept my T3 872

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
NO.
But...
I did see some guys selling a new BELT HEAT DETECTOR that I am considering installing...

http://www.razorbackusa.com/shop/?category=Snowmobile

sensor-and-gauge.jpg

I wouldnt waste my money on that its just as accurate as a hand held thermal imager.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt

It is interesting that they took the easy way out and didn't keep the design of the running board the same front to back. Why half *** it and not carry the extruded design all the way to the front.

They want us to buy the accessory toe hook!

Stock ski-doo suspension has always lacked. Aftermarket suspension is going on mine, hopefully it will fix the rear end transfer

Thanks for your thoughts! Your reviews are always well thought out and informative! Hopefully your opinion improves over the next few rides.

S
Feb 7, 2010
Belt wear and NYTROS!

Christopher

This is how and why you blow belts on turbo NYTROS! More than one occasion. 200+ hp and 3+ft CO powder is just not nice to belts. It doesn't matter what you are riding. Correct. PAULHARRIS. Not sure how you rode that long and never blew one. Always expected to blow one per 2+ft powder day.

IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
It is interesting that they took the easy way out and didn't keep the design of the running board the same front to back. Why half *** it and not carry the extruded design all the way to the front.

They want us to buy the accessory toe hook!

Stock ski-doo suspension has always lacked. Aftermarket suspension is going on mine, hopefully it will fix the rear end transfer

Thanks for your thoughts! Your reviews are always well thought out and informative! Hopefully your opinion improves over the next few rides.

Thx. I hope so too.

Premium Features