• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 CFI Issues - Buy or Pass?

T
Dec 7, 2010
Hi all, I know there are probably countless threads on here about the 800 CFI and its "issues", but I just thought I would look for some quick advise from the guys who own them. I'm in the market to buy a new sled and have been seriously considering a Switchback Assault 800. Probably looking at a '12 or '13 model year as they fit in my budget best. Absolutely love the Pro chassis - got to ride a Pro RMK out west this year for a week and was very impressed. Being that I'm from the Midwest I was thinking the SBA would be the best fit for me.

Now for the real question - can I trust the 800 CFI or should I look at something else? I've read plenty of horror stories about engine failures as well as the motor losing power and compression after ~1500 miles. Most used '12 or '13 sleds are at or beyond this mile marker. The last thing I want to do is spend money on an 800 motor that makes the power of a 700, or worst yet is likely to have some major failures in the near future. I understand snowmobiles can be unpredictable animals and there is always a chance of failure no matter what - but I have heard more about this motor than others.

Finally, I know that Bikeman (along with others) make a "durability kit" that is supposed to fix these flaws and restore the motor's power. How are these kits? Is it worth the $500 for a BMP kit or do I just take my chances or look at something else?

Sorry for the long post, any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Believe the 13s had a little thicker cylinder skirt than previous years. I haven't hit 1500 miles yet but will be doing some rktek pistons next summer as preventive maintenance. Never had to do that with any of my cats, but their motors are just about indestructible. Least that's been my experience.

I'm happy with my 13 pro rmk, less the lack of power I was used to with other brands. I'll take the chassis all day long, way too easy and way too fun to ride. Plus there are Plenty of options in the aftermarket for power.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Well you kind of answered your own question. No secret the poo motors have more failures but I don't believe they are all time bombs either.
Being in he Midwest you roll a lot more easy miles rippin trails than lower mile harder on the engine mtn miles.
I'd ask the ditch bangers how their 800 s are holding up. Better comparison.

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Why are you ruling out the Pro chassis for the Midwest? What type of riding do you do?

I don't have much advice relating to motor longevity as I only have 400 miles on my 15 Pro TD 155 but I can say that Midwest riding shouldn't need to dictate your decision on chassis. I ride almost all backcountry here in Michigan and so far couldn't be happier with my choice. I do ride a decent amount of country roads to get to my riding areas as well as some occasional trail trips when riding with the rest of the family but I haven't found any downside to the Pro. Handles trails better than all the sleds I ride with (mostly older gen yamahas and cats). Cooling isnt and issue either as most wanted to scare me into thinking it was. I added 4 wheels to the skid and run the scratchers when on country roads and trails, and even the thinnest of snow cover on some of them my sled never strayed from the 125-129 range (which is the range it runs in the deep as well). During these stretches the summits and nytro was starting to heat up. Minor riding style changes (remember to put scratchers down when on trails or roads no matter how good the snow condition and watching temp) and its not an issue. Also more than happy with the belt drive set up. JMO and experience on this topic. I am very very happy with my choice and am excited to get much more time on the sled. I hope this helps give you some food for thought on model purchase.

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
The Switchback Assault he's looking at is built on the Pro-Ride Chassis.

You are right, I guess it would have been better to phrase my response as Assault vs Pro RMK. Going off how much he liked the Pro out west when he rode it I thought I would mention he shouldnt throw out the idea of getting a sled he enjoyed out there just because of Midwest riding

T
Dec 7, 2010
Why are you ruling out the Pro chassis for the Midwest? What type of riding do you do?

I don't have much advice relating to motor longevity as I only have 400 miles on my 15 Pro TD 155 but I can say that Midwest riding shouldn't need to dictate your decision on chassis. I ride almost all backcountry here in Michigan and so far couldn't be happier with my choice. I do ride a decent amount of country roads to get to my riding areas as well as some occasional trail trips when riding with the rest of the family but I haven't found any downside to the Pro. Handles trails better than all the sleds I ride with (mostly older gen yamahas and cats). Cooling isnt and issue either as most wanted to scare me into thinking it was. I added 4 wheels to the skid and run the scratchers when on country roads and trails, and even the thinnest of snow cover on some of them my sled never strayed from the 125-129 range (which is the range it runs in the deep as well). During these stretches the summits and nytro was starting to heat up. Minor riding style changes (remember to put scratchers down when on trails or roads no matter how good the snow condition and watching temp) and its not an issue. Also more than happy with the belt drive set up. JMO and experience on this topic. I am very very happy with my choice and am excited to get much more time on the sled. I hope this helps give you some food for thought on model purchase.

I have gone back and forth over this for a while. I live in WI and ride trails here with some off trail riding in the UP. We go out west for some steep and deep riding usually once a year. My thought was to go with the SBA with a 2" paddle track and Pro Gripper Skis. Kind of the best of both worlds and perfect for my Midwest riding style. I could then trailer it out west or continue renting out there like I have previously.

Just not sure what to do motor wise. I love the Pro chassis but am a little scared about the 800 CFI. Do the "durability kits" actually fix the problem?

s1d3w1nd3r1480

Premium Member
Sep 6, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I wish I could give you more help on the motor aspect. Will need more time on on the sled to help out there but I am confident that my vented oil cap and careful warm ups and fuel choice will allow long life. If not the 3 year warranty and good relationship with dealer will protect me in the event of a motor failure. I'm not sure where your price range is but with the killer deals polaris is offering on new sleds with great warranties this could be a good option for you and take the motor questions out of the equation as the warranty will cover you if it does fail. My opinion is that most the problems are oil cap induced as well as riding style induced and the type of riding you describe I would be confident you wouldn't face many troubles. I should also mention I never considered a used 800 because of these problems. My reasoning is there is no way I can really know how the motor was taken care of but with my brand new one I know every mile the motor has seen and know i have done everything I can do to ensure life out of the stock motor.

Ultimately the best thing you can do is choose the sled YOU want and feel comfortable with and feel have the most dealer support. Despite all the crazy looks, converstations asking why I would ever need a mountain specific sled in Michigan, and criticism I am more than happy I choose the sled I wanted and excited to find out it exceeded my expectations for trailablity

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ Agreed. Although it's been discussed and beaten to death - the options are fairly simple when buying a used 800 CFI.

1) Just ride it.
2) Buy some extended warranty and just ride it.
3) Rebuild it - either with stock pistons or with one of the many fix-it kits. Pick whichever one you like the sound of. Make sure whoever installs it knows what they're doing.

All the discussions and comings/goings all boil down to those options. Or just buy something you feel has better reliability.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Poo has the best power to weight ratio, which means they have the power advantage. Love it when people post about the poor under powered poo:) Its all about weight and hp, not just hp. I'll take a lighter sled with a better hp to weight ratio anyday!!!

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Poo has the best power to weight ratio, which means they have the power advantage. Love it when people post about the poor under powered poo:) Its all about weight and hp, not just hp. I'll take a lighter sled with a better hp to weight ratio anyday!!!

I guess im on the other side of this i will take a slightly heaver sled (30lbs) for a more durable chassis and motor. to each their own as i NEVER even think about if my fix kit is going to do the job the factory could not even at 10 hp less.:der::noidea::brokenheart:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I think the Pro-Ride is the best chassis out there bar none. And is very strong and ridgid.

As far as the motor and electrical components. I would buy new and get a warranty. Usually if you spring check you can get a better deal on the sled or warranty. I did a 4 year bumper to bumper and everything on the sled has been taken care of. Never missed a weekend of riding either.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
IMO find a 13 that has heavier cylinder skirts but I myself would still put pistons in before 2000 miles of MOUNTAIN riding.....the tunnel in the foot wells is a problem, but theres reinforcement for that....IMHO if you want a gass and go sled that handles good on the trail and it does well off trail and has great durability its hard to beat a 10-11 M8. I own both.

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
If you are worried about motor issues and ride mostly the midwest i would stick with the 600 that is all you need powerwize and the 600 in the pro chassie performs great out west, i have a 12 rmk 800 witch i have had my fair share of problems with it my next new sled will be 600 rmk turbo.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I think the Pro-Ride is the best chassis out there bar none. And is very strong and ridgid.

As far as the motor and electrical components. I would buy new and get a warranty. Usually if you spring check you can get a better deal on the sled or warranty. I did a 4 year bumper to bumper and everything on the sled has been taken care of. Never missed a weekend of riding either.

Agreed, best advice in this thread. The holdovers are a great deal right now, and for people who don't like to play mechanic....the new is the way to go. By the time you buy used and factor in a rebuild, you're almost there anyways. I figured out my "cost per year" for depreciation on a new one on warranty vs repairs on a used one and it's basically the same. Same as you - my last sled was new with 4 year warr - never missed a weekend, no unforeseen repair costs, and get to ride a new sled. That goes for any sled not just pol

Premium Features