• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

570 fan head gasket

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
I'm helping a friend rebuild his bearcat 570 fan and am wondering which way the head gasket goes, or does it even matter which side is down? Both sides look identical.
Boy it looks like those nuts holding the jugs are a bugger to torque to specs. Not being able to put a socket on them, I guess a guy would have to use a crow's foot? Since I don't have a crow's foot wrench, I guess I'll just have to use my judgement with what feels right. Anybody else dealt with this problem before?

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
I did mine a few years back...but don't remember...sorry. I think I just did them by feel.

Did you guys split the case? I had some bad fretting on the outside of the bearing journals. It seems crank shakes hard enough to move the bearings around, slightly, inside the case.

John

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
We never split the case, just a top end rebuild. Dealer said the head gasket doesn't matter which way it goes. I just torqued the jugs to feel and torqued the head bolts to 20 ft. lbs in two sequences. Twenty foot pounds doesn't seem like much but the studs ARE in aluminum so I guess its appropriate.

Premium Features