• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

50 FT toy hauler with LQ Help?????

W
Nov 29, 2008
Pocatello, ID
Am considering a 50ft toyhauler/race car type toy hauler with living quarters, 4 seaons, lots of ground clearance!!!!! (Some of our remote areas have no lodging or even close lodging)....has anyone pulled this big of a trailer in the winter....snow/ice...turning in parking lots.....getting around/etc......please help with input???????!!!!! Since we quit racing in the 70's.....am a little out of tune with current racers and their race trailers....We will still keep our enlosed 4 place trailer, and 2 place.

We desire a 4 seasons toy hauler (race car type and similar design, gave up on the Raptors, Cyclones, etc.)with all the optons and have found one (will carry 3-4 sleds or 4 quads)...however the length really bothers us, for use in the snow....summer not a problem or could be????? Could we get some good input please? Many thanks!

Last edited:
I
Sep 26, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
I pull my 40' year round and have found that tripple axle 5ers pull very well in winter. The only challenge comes when you are on a slope as you are talking about a lot of weight to move. Even with over 3000#'s of tounge weight and a 7000# truck, it is still a litlle scary when icy and off road in off camber situations. I doubt you'll want to get on very steep slopes anyway with a 50 footer. Even if it is a High clearance, over that length it will drag easily in off camber situations.

That said in the pick below I was in a gravel pit that had about 3" of snow over glare ice and over the weekend there were probly 5 or 6 falls in our group when trying to walk around outside the trailer so it was very slick. I was able to maneuver the trailer to turn it around even though it was not at all level without having to chain up my trucks skinny 235/85 studded snow tires. A few more winters with it I'll probly get more comfortable with maneuvering it on icy hills, but my truck is a shortbed so a little slip could easily mean cab-trailer contact. On the highway where it is slick, icy, snowy or slushy it pulls much better than my 27' dual axle V-nose trailer ever did.

maidenvoyage004.jpg

Here's the old trailer that was a great trailer but no where near as comfortable to pull compared to the 5er in ice.

trailerATVtires55gallondrums002.jpg

C

ccoleman77

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 27, 2008
Casper WY
I have a 42' and it's great. Pulls way better than the 25' did... makes me very thankful to have a pac brake on my truck though in icy conditions.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
attachment.php

Here is a our tandem axel 32ft gooseneck for shortbed vehicles. It has a 24ft flat deck and can handle four big mtn sleds (2 forward 2 backward to clear wheel wells). We generally just go with 2 sleds and then you don't even have to unload to have room to live and function in the front part. Equiped with queen sleeper/tv..dvd..wii/microwave/george foreman/rv furnace/110 and 12v lighting/fuel...just no water (portable toilet for emergency only). Generally handles very nicely in all road conditions and short enough to not be brutal in tight parking lots. If you have a good tow vehicle that can handle the weight it's a really nice setup. Not much more to manuever then a big steel four place bumper pull but way way better for towing. With the modern sleds all having reverse it's a great option. I'm super happy with the entire package from pickup to trailer.

50ft is pretty huge! Toy haulers are also high center load movers and aren't near as nice on the tow or in high wind areas. Also a steep loading ramp is a pia for sleds. Things to think about...we often wish we had a better camper version when we compare to our friends toy haulers (bathroom kitchen stuff) but that is summer stuff. Winter wise they all freeze up and that stuff is useless any ways.

Premium Features