• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3000 mi Maintenance?

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
By the end of this season I'll reach the 3000 mi mark on my 09 XP 800. What kind of major engine maintenance items should I be looking at? I've had no issues with the sled and I do all the regular maintenance, but I'd like to get a few more years out of it, or at least make it an appealing buy should I decide to get rid of it.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I have a chassis with 3000 on it.... I do rebuild motor every 1500 bigbore.... I also rebuild clutches every 700. That being said I tore down to bulkhead and went thru everything this fall... What I found was 2 bearings needed replaced. One on clutch shaft and one on drivers both were brake and clutch side bearings. Also the drivers were pretty chewed up to I replaced them also... I replaced track last winter so that is fine... Found a few wires that were wore pretty good so did some wiring. Also replaced throttle cable was getting a little weak. Might want to check carbides and slides..I replaced those as well.. Also went thru and replaced a few hoses that were showing signs of wear. I put new skid and shocks on as well cause I know stockers were shot.. I do new shocks or rebuild every yr.. Spark plug wires were also showing signs of wear and were not real tight on the plugs... Motor mounts were all good except for right rear... Had a few snapped bolts that would never be seen unless you tore down... And last I had to replace the bracket that holds driveshaft in.. brake side inside was broke..

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Check the crank run out. make sure that is still going to hold up before you put money into the thing. then freshen up the top end and check engine mounts, hoses,coolant color and texture, shocks rebuild, clutch rebuild, Throttle cables still intact and not fraying. other than that just your normal maintenance.

Lander

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2011
Casper, WY
What should a top end rebuild at a reputable shop cost? I could take it to my local Doo dealer but I may save a few bucks by purchasing the aftermarket and OEM parts myself and letting a reliable mechanic do the wrenching.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
dont know.never done that.but if you live next door ill come over and install it for free:)

Last edited:
Premium Features