• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

240lb custom frame build

E
Dec 19, 2007
Triples sound so so awesome! but they really are kind of pointless in the mountains. But if had one laying around and some old mountain horse I couldn't sell then the two would probably mate for sure. Sorry I don't have better pictures and I don't have a go pro. If it ever stops snowing and the sun comes out I'll try to get my buddy to make some video.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
Do you use a fuel pump with the tank so low and being carbureted ?

Also...how reliable is the old 360 / 380 to you ? They pull hard but parts availability would be a concern to me, lots of discontinued stuff.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yes it just uses a Briggs and Stratton pulse pump ported to a nipple i drilled in behind the reed. They are every bit as reliable as a new 300 and Probably more so(no fi) The only parts that seem rare are the cylinder and pv flapper. Everything else is Interchangable with the plentiful used 250 and 300s. The 380 oem rod is extinct but there is an aftermarket one. It the same as the 97 360 long rod.The 96 360 short rod needs to grind 1mm off the bottom of the 380 piston ex skirt so it won't hit the crank with the shorter rod. I like the short rod version way better. The clutch basket and primary gear are unique as well but you can run the 250 set no problem. The big bores spin the trans faster to reduce the torque to the gears but at high altitudes even the 380 can't make enough torque to break anything.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I did a few minor upgrades. The 360 was replaced with a brc500. It gained 5lbs and only a few hp but the torque probably doubled. It was built by adam millar with some sub port changes and dynod at 72. I've since raised the port timing 30 so it's probably 75ish now but has some much needed over rev so it's way easier to grab the next higher gear. It's got so much dang torque even if you can't get the ground speed for the next higher gear it will still pull it if you let the clutch out slow. The power is the real deal now but I'm still on the fence if it's worth putting up with all the down sides.

First negative is it still vibrates. Not as bad as my 360 but way worse than a 450. I'm suspecting my custom frame is partially at fault so before I sell it I'm going to try a new bottom cradle made from much thicker aluminum truss. The only reason I bought this engine was to get rid of The vibes. My 360 had plenty of power and was a hoot but it was breaking things on the bike from too much vibration including my wrists.

The other issue is it's hard to start. It always starts reliable, it just takes a ton of effort. I can kick start it every time cold with six kicks or less but even with the compression release it takes a man to start it. I did not even connect the electric starter because it requires a 24 volt battery and I didn't want to add the extra weight.

The 3rd issue it has is just that total overkill feel to it. It truly is more power than THIS snow bike needs so it really does not fit into my must have at all cost category. If it was in a heavier framed bike it would be a better match and possibly less vibes too.

I've got two months of snow left and loving every minute of it. finding it hard to get people to ride with me but this bike is a total grin machine even in the worst conditions. If the vibes don't improve with my frame changes this summer the engine will be for sale at some point and if you're at all interested in a 75 horsepower two-stroke come ride it while there's snow. Even if I don't sell it the experience would be memorable I guarantee.

Our annual father's day ride will probably have to get pushed back a few weeks because there is too much snow this year. We take dirt bikes and snow bikes and camp at the snow line and ride both for the week end. It's chaotic dealing with the creeks but we got both loops pretty well figured out.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm not going to sell the brc but will have to build another bike to put the 360 in some day. I'll start another thread just on the Brc since the motor is worth the mention.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Arctic Cat has a single cylinder 650cc 2-stroke, purpose built snowbike on the drawing board.
If they are able to pull it off, it will offer a rear exiting exhaust port, a real tunnel w/ heat exchanger, lower center of gravity, CTV in lieu of a clutch/spur gear transmission, larger fuel capacity, etc.

Imagine.... a CVT, a real tunnel w/ HE, lower center of gravity, lighter weight, and a 2-stroke engine.

"The new application describes a purpose-built snow bike, rather than one built around a donor dirt bike as was the SVX 450. The application implies a product built by Arctic Cat from the ground up, which would allow several advantages over the requirement of adapting a donor bike from another manufacturer."

Here is a list of some of the advantages offered by the production of a purpose-built snow bike as described:

....The application shows the use of a continuously variable transmission (CVT), which would be better suited for the application than the manual transmission used in donor dirt bikes
.....An engine air handling system positions the air intake above the engine, with a rearward facing intake port
.....By rotating the engine's cylinder 180˚, the exhaust system is placed in a linear configuration within the chassis and tunnel of the vehicle, thereby preventing contact with the user (and melting those expensive snow bibs!
.....A drop fork component reduces weight of the vehicle and allows better adjustment of the handlebars
.....The size and length of the fork can be reduced
.....Components, including the engine and gas tank, can be placed lower and farther forward in the purpose-built frame, allowing a lower center of gravity for better handling and balance
....The drive shaft can be placed closer to the foot pegs than is possible with a snow bike kit
....The vehicle can be made lighter overall than a typical snow bike kit

I'd be willing to bet that SkiDoo will be attempting something very similar in the not too distant future.
I think that it will hurt the Timbersled market.

Arctic Cate purpose built snow bike.jpg
Arctic-Cat-Snow-Bike-Patent-04-e1558646097684.jpg

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
Artic cat isn't working on it anymore so don't hold your breath. The frame design is spot on though. The engine was a 400cc single from the blast sled not a 600. I personally would rather have a transmission than a cvt. But with the correct frame and light weight even a cvt would be better than anything with a kit. I hope skidoo or ktm build something (my 2 most respected brand engineers) but everything I hear from people in the industry is they all seem to think there is some benefit to being able to switch it back to a dirt bike which will permanently neuter the design potential.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Arctic Cat has a single cylinder 650cc 2-stroke, purpose built snowbike on the drawing board.
If they are able to pull it off, it will offer a rear exiting exhaust port, a real tunnel w/ heat exchanger, lower center of gravity, CTV in lieu of a clutch/spur gear transmission, larger fuel capacity, etc.

Imagine.... a CVT, a real tunnel w/ HE, lower center of gravity, lighter weight, and a 2-stroke engine.

"The new application describes a purpose-built snow bike, rather than one built around a donor dirt bike as was the SVX 450. The application implies a product built by Arctic Cat from the ground up, which would allow several advantages over the requirement of adapting a donor bike from another manufacturer."

Here is a list of some of the advantages offered by the production of a purpose-built snow bike as described:

....The application shows the use of a continuously variable transmission (CVT), which would be better suited for the application than the manual transmission used in donor dirt bikes
.....An engine air handling system positions the air intake above the engine, with a rearward facing intake port
.....By rotating the engine's cylinder 180˚, the exhaust system is placed in a linear configuration within the chassis and tunnel of the vehicle, thereby preventing contact with the user (and melting those expensive snow bibs!
.....A drop fork component reduces weight of the vehicle and allows better adjustment of the handlebars
.....The size and length of the fork can be reduced
.....Components, including the engine and gas tank, can be placed lower and farther forward in the purpose-built frame, allowing a lower center of gravity for better handling and balance
....The drive shaft can be placed closer to the foot pegs than is possible with a snow bike kit
....The vehicle can be made lighter overall than a typical snow bike kit

I'd be willing to bet that SkiDoo will be attempting something very similar in the not too distant future.
I think that it will hurt the Timbersled market.

View attachment 405643
View attachment 405644
All circa 2017.

And like eric said above.

R
Nov 16, 2016
1..... Artic cat isn't working on it anymore so don't hold your breath.
2.....The frame design is spot on though.
3..... The engine was a 400cc single from the blast sled not a 600.
4.....I personally would rather have a transmission than a cvt.
5....But with the correct frame and light weight even a cvt would be better than anything with a kit.
6.....I hope skidoo or ktm build something (my 2 most respected brand engineers)
7.....but everything I hear from people in the industry is they all seem to think there is some benefit to being able to switch it back to a dirt bike which will permanently neuter the design potential.

1... I would like to know if that is official.
2... I agree....... a real tunnel, H/E cooling, lower center of gravity, and so on.
3... Actually, I believe it was a single cylinder 650 2-stroke. They were designing one with a single cylinder 450 4 stroke.
4... In my opinion, a CVT would be best for this application.
5... Agreed!
6... I would love it if Doo gave it a try.

7... If a person needs to hire the change-over done each time, it becomes an expensive ordeal and a PITA.
I currently own a Husqvarna FC 450 w/ the ARO 120. I will never change it back to a dirt bike.

Any way...... this is a great topic.
It will be interesting to see what lies ahead of us.
As I said, if Cat does pull this off, or if Doo pulls it off, I would be very tempted to purchance one.

Premium Features