• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Patriot with SLP Twins, sled RIPS

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Bought the sled called Outlaw from Dan Adams. Heard some noise about the twins not running at lower elevation like I ride local at 3000-6000. Well this thing rips, the belt deflection was really loose on my first ride and it ran like crap until I tightened it way up. Very crisp, pulls 8450 with the #12 Capsule in the SLP Magnum Force weights, going to try a 14 next ride which will be a couple weeks unfortunatel. Rode it a couple days in Alpine and only diff was a #8.
There’s a couple things that are quirks of the Twins. If the pipes are cold it sounds off, not really boggy but the sound isn’t crisp, only takes a few seconds to get the pipes hot. The pipes cool off fast, by the time you pull the hood they are cool enough to touch. When I am at full power, chop the throttle then go full power there’s a slight pop or hesitation when going back to full power. I am not a mechanic but it seems like a clutching detail, I will get a hold of SLP this week and see what they think. When starting out in deep snow on a right side hill it takes a beat to clear the exhaust too. its just for a second or less but it sure seems like it takes a good push of exhaust to clear it.
This is the best sled I have owned, has lots of mods is very light weight and hauls my big ass around the hills really well, love the power, throttle response and lightweight.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
Bought the sled called Outlaw from Dan Adams. Heard some noise about the twins not running at lower elevation like I ride local at 3000-6000. Well this thing rips, the belt deflection was really loose on my first ride and it ran like crap until I tightened it way up. Very crisp, pulls 8450 with the #12 Capsule in the SLP Magnum Force weights, going to try a 14 next ride which will be a couple weeks unfortunatel. Rode it a couple days in Alpine and only diff was a #8.
There’s a couple things that are quirks of the Twins. If the pipes are cold it sounds off, not really boggy but the sound isn’t crisp, only takes a few seconds to get the pipes hot. The pipes cool off fast, by the time you pull the hood they are cool enough to touch. When I am at full power, chop the throttle then go full power there’s a slight pop or hesitation when going back to full power. I am not a mechanic but it seems like a clutching detail, I will get a hold of SLP this week and see what they think. When starting out in deep snow on a right side hill it takes a beat to clear the exhaust too. its just for a second or less but it sure seems like it takes a good push of exhaust to clear it.
This is the best sled I have owned, has lots of mods is very light weight and hauls my big ass around the hills really well, love the power, throttle response and lightweight.
Thats awesome thanks for sharing I have been wondering if there worth the $$$

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Talk to @TRS about clutching.

The twins like high rpm from what i’ve read.

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
Ive got the twins on a 20 khaos as well.ride 4 to 6000 most of the time.have the magnum force weights loaded to 64 1/2 grams running 8500 to 8600 the twins do love 8600. This thing pulls so hard all the way through the entire rpm range its rediculous! Installed the hardened shims in primary and needle brg under the cup of the secondary helped the backshift a ton.the cold pipe thing you describe is there in this one too but like you said the only time i notice it is at the start of the day only lasts a minute or so then smooth as silk. Smiles for miles i love these things dont even mind the blisters it puts on my hands

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
to this day the most powerful N/A sleds i have been on were 1 polaris dragon 800 slp twins PAR head cut to 14.5 on pump gas with fast traax clutching, gasket and port matched, upgraded to 2010 fuelinjectors 2.35 ratio gearing. Second was a stage 5 SLP 05 900 with all the dragon updates to the chassis. 3rd was an improved "700" mod sled from a hill climber in a 2013 cat lol the pro and axys chassis seen polaris honestly take a LOT of power out of the top end IMO for reliability. Its cool to see you guys are likeing the 850s

IMG00197-20101127-1505.jpg

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
Dont really see the need to wrap them. The only time it seems to sound like that is first thing in the morning. Half hr breaks during the day it warms up fine within a few feet and runs great the pipes are black ceramic coated.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I started with 1 gal of av gas to 4 of non eth premium. Trying a little less now on advice of SLP, like 1/2 GAL to 4 1/2 non eth. These pipes are THIN, not a fan of header wrap because EVERYTIME i have wrapped headers they crack and I ended up chasing cracks.
Obile are you sure that these pipes are ceramic coated? Looks like paint to me.

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
Screenshot of the install instructions from slp.im thinking that it is black ceramic coat. Seems to be a little more durable than header paint.i think if it was paint i would see some rust starting .

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
When I think of ceramic coating on pipes I am always thinking of heat barrier coatings. I use a lot of Cerokote in my business and its very durable but I have never heard of it being a heat barrier.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had Boondocker weights in my clutch, going to try the SLP magnum force weights soon. We will see.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
When I think of ceramic coating on pipes I am always thinking of heat barrier coatings. I use a lot of Cerokote in my business and its very durable but I have never heard of it being a heat barrier.
Matte,
I had them cerakote my y-pipe all the way to the exhaust dump on my turbo. Internals as well.
it’s the air dry cerakote. They claim it holds heat, and it very well does. They had me air cure for 7 days before putting it into service.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
TRS I wonder why they used air dry. We bake everything that can take the heat which I am sure the pipes can. We only use air dry when we have too. Good you let it cure for a bit. It does get more durable.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Put a needle bearing in the clutch. Only change. No more pop from the engine in and out of throttle. Throttle response is fantastic. The mid-range feels really strong now. I talked to SLP about clutching and I am going to try the SLP magnum force weights. I have the new BooneDocker weights in it now. It is running fantastic just want to try SLPs recommended set up.

Premium Features