• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 m8 suspension setuo

R
Dec 19, 2019
Hey guys. Just bought a brand new old stock 2017 m8000 with 153 and fox evol shocks
Wondering about suspension setup. The sled seems very front end heavy. Hard to Steer and almost impossible to get the front end up. Is this typical. I’ve been on doo most of my sledding career. Did have a 2011 m8 that worked very well.
so far this things a pig. Also seems to be really lacking power with poor clutching. Dealer not really helping with the situation.
i weigh about 200 pounds with out gear.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
what alt are you and what clutching is in it? don't judge the power until you get 100 miles on it and at this point I say leave the clutching alone until the motor makes it to the 100 miles. you will find it gaining rpm after about 30 miles. to set shocks take all weight off the shock.
set your back track shock to about 140 and the front ski shocks to 65. this is a good for me starting point set the center track shock to 50 and add or subtrack psi on this shock until the steering and lift are to your liking. coming from the doo you will never get past the cat being more planted on the front over the doo on the flats. you will however notice in the steep climbs and side hills it is a lot more controllable

R
Dec 19, 2019
Hey. Thanks. We ride sicamous so I believe like 1200 feet. I haven’t touched the clutches from factory aside from belt deflection. They do squeal like a lot. Wich I brought up to the dealer. They said belts to tight. I’ve had it anywhere from quite tight to sloppy loose. Doesn’t seem to make a difference. Sled has about 200 miles on it right now. So should be out of the break in phase. I haven’t tried new plugs. I ride with guys on 13’s that have never changed a plug since new.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
MY bet is your sled is clutched for 6-9k
look at the set up sheet and you will see the lower alt clutching part numbers. also on the clutch cover on the sled most times it will tell you what it's set up for.
If you have a 48 helix and 70g weights you will need to change them out.
as for belt deflection you need to put the 4mm jam nut at the 3 O clock position and adjust the belt so you have about half the top of the notched part of the belt sitting above the top of the secondary. if is sequels then it is too tight.
after the adjustment you need to roll the secondary clutch over a few times and check again.

just good to have ^

R
Fix your belt deflection or you might break a belt or wear it out. If you are lacking power, you certainly have a clutching issue.
I totally agree, they came clutched for 6-9000 feet.
They are tricky to set up. Just adjust your shock first, not your reservoir for pressure. Just have to play with it.

R
Dec 19, 2019
Thanks for the input. Have the sled at dealer right now for running issues
I seem
To have got a lemon.
Anyone changed the shocks and had better luck? To me suspension very disappointing.
and I like skis in the air. Doesn’t seem to matter what u have for air it’s a nose heavy pig.

R
Dec 19, 2019
It’s a 153.
I havent got into clutching. I took it back to the dealer for the motor running poorly. seems to be running very rich.Very boggy.
Once that’s addressed. I’ll look into clutching.
Of course when I brought that up to the dealer they say it’s clutched for all elevations and shouldn’t be a problem.
I know on the doo clutches. When weights were at 4-5 for high elevation it acted similar. On 3 was a complete different machine. But I’m not familiar with these cat clutches at all. I think clutching is very much part of the problem. Seem to have balls from 3/4 throttle to wide open. But nothing on the bottum end. Wich is what I prefer. A nice crisp responsive throttle. I’m not a hill climber at all.
I had entertained trading up to an 18.
dealer wants 6-7 difference.
mine only has 185 k.
that seems excessive.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You have to check them both as you go along.

If you fill the evol chamber first, that pressure will be higher once you set the main chamber. Same in reverse. Don't believe me? Try it.

I run zero psi in the evol chambers so it just acts like the same size air spring all the way through it's travel since it's a pretty good linear-ish ramp up without the need for a secondary air piston. Because constantly balancing that **** is annoying. Plus the evol chamber piston doesn't always come to rest in the same place so makes your main air spring pressure vary. Evol pressures don't change total bottom out from a given main spring pressure, it just changes how it gets there.

R
Dec 19, 2019
Have any of you guys noticed your limiter straps singing tight just sitting on the shop floor. Mine are and they are In the longest hole. Just got me thinking. All my older sleds had tons of slack in them when it’s just sitting there with no Weight on it.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Have any of you guys noticed your limiter straps singing tight just sitting on the shop floor. Mine are and they are In the longest hole. Just got me thinking. All my older sleds had tons of slack in them when it’s just sitting there with no Weight on it.

My limiter has slack sitting flat. Not sure what front shock you have, but if you have a spring, show about 1” of threads under the ring if you like a light front end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Features