• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 KTM 450 SXF - Lithium Battery Problems

Looking for any fixes or ideas to modify the stock battery box on a 2016 KTM 450SXF to change back to a lead acid battery. Having nothing but problems with the new Lithium battery on cold days, love the light weight but with no kick starter I'm getting real tired of using a power pack to start the bike. Anybody else out there having similar issues? Thinking of trying to install an XCW battery box and lead-acid battery but not sure it will swap out.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Yuasa YTZ7S

....is the battery you want, a bit heavier but proven to work in the cold. I don't have your bike but I have '15 ktm and it fits fine.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
The lithium battery has to be warm in order to put out max power. Crank the bike for a minute and then let it sit for a couple and try it again. Or stick a sled hand warmer on it and wire it direct to the battery. Let it warm the battery for 5 minutes and then crank it over.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Ditch the lithium and do the Yuasa YTZ7S like Lachoneus suggests. On the 2016 KTM 450sxf you just need to order a 2015 KTM 450sxf battery box (like $45) and replace it with the one in your 16. The battery will slide in and fit. You'll never have to worry about your cranking abilities in any condition once you make the switch.

F

funjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
You need to get a battery box for a 16 xc-f. Then you can fit the ytz7 led acid battery in it. The battery box from your dealer is about $30.

sidehillsam

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Post Falls, Idaho
Lithium Iron

Another option for light weight battery is Earth-X Lithium IRON, not as light as lithium ion but not effected by temperature.

T
Dec 10, 2013
I've been using the Shorai lithium on my 500EXC, quite surprised how well it woks. Itst been 10F these last few days. I just crank a few secs, wait a few secs, it starts.

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Lithium battery

Matt, i have a lithium in my 500 exc. we have been riding a lot the last couple weeks. Its been cold as hell in the mornings up at mt B. No issues at all. Troy

O
Dec 18, 2014
i feel your pain, but think i have a solution

I had same issue, had to abandon the lithium battery, but couldn't go back to larger lead acid due to no ability to mod batt box on husq fc 450. took advice of some locals and went to antigravity 12 cell, still super light and all the cold crank amps of the larger lead acid noted in this thread (without the weight!!). have had one issue at minus 22 Celsius, cranked strong but didn't want to start right away so warmed first against truck exhaust, 5 minutes and bike started no prob. never had to boost since that batt was installed. - good luck

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Ditch the lithium and do the Yuasa YTZ7S like Lachoneus suggests. On the 2016 KTM 450sxf you just need to order a 2015 KTM 450sxf battery box (like $45) and replace it with the one in your 16. The battery will slide in and fit. You'll never have to worry about your cranking abilities in any condition once you make the switch.

I don't think it is that simple after looking at the microfiche.

Premium Features