• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Assault 800 front shock springs are hitting a arms

M
Dec 29, 2009
I have a 2015 assault 800 155" and I was out riding yesterday and I noticed my front shock springs are hitting the upper a arms when I lay the sled up on one ski. Both springs are doing this. Anybody else have this problem? The springs are hitting the forward side of the a arm. I noticed when I picked the sled up from the dealer bran new that the springs seemed to be really close to the a arm and they told me it was normal.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I occasionally have that issue, but it's from hitting trees. The springs should be centered between the front and back arms. Since your sled is new, my guess is that your arms are on upside down or flipped left to right, if that's possible.

M
Dec 29, 2009
It's not from hitting anything that's for sure both sides would have to be bent exactly the same. I was told the a arms come from factory installed by my dealer. I've looked at other sleds on the showroom floor and the springs were all less than a 1/4 inch from the front of the a arm and over an inch from the back. I don't know seems really strange.

M
Dec 29, 2009
I have the springs set to just enough tension to keep the spring retainer on the bottom of the springs. I lost both of them on my first ride. The dealer replaced them.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
assaults are like this due to the larger coil over springs, adjust your spring tensioner a shade and the spring will move away from the a arm.

This is correct. Turn the spring so that travel doesn't allow it to touch the a-arm. And be sure to keep enough spring tension on the spring with the adjuster by checking it with no weight on the ski (off the ground). Otherwise, they can fall out.

Assault clicker shocks will have the compression adjustment's on the top side. I'm sure they're installed correctly.

M
Dec 29, 2009
I've tried adjusting it. The springs still hit. Seems to be a manufacturing problem that Polaris should be taking care of. Bringing in to the dealer tomorrow. If my springs have no compression on them they shouldn't be hitting the a arm but they are.

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
I've tried adjusting it. The springs still hit. Seems to be a manufacturing problem that Polaris should be taking care of. Bringing in to the dealer tomorrow. If my springs have no compression on them they shouldn't be hitting the a arm but they are.

it doesn't have anything to do with compression itself, as you crank the spring up or down the coil moves almost in a wobble shape therefor the coil moves closer to either the front or back of the a arm...and will touch

M
Dec 6, 2007
I have noticed this on my assault as well. FYI you need at least two full turns on the spring retainer adjusters (compressing the spring) after the springs are seated lightly to avoid loosing the retainers. If you adjust the springs a quarter turn one way or the other you can gain clearance on the front of the A-arm. The bigger shocks and springs fit very tight on the upper front of the A-arms. This is what I have done and all has been good since then.

Also if you have lost the retainers once already it could have distorted the springs a small amount (when they were sitting on the bottom a-arms all **** eyed) and caused more of a clearance issue.

Last edited:
Premium Features