• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 m8000 going into reverse on its own.

H
Jan 10, 2016
Hey everyone, I have completely lost my mind on this problem. My 2014 proclimb Ha started flashing the temp light and shifting into reverse all on its own.
So early on my 3rd ride this season it started flashing temp. I stopped and tried to check everything out. there was a lot of snow so I was pretty certain it was not getting to hot, and I had plenty of coolant so I chocked it up to a faulty sensor. It wasn't long after that, that I noticed the sled go into reverse when we all stopped for a break. I figured I must have bumped the switch as I came to a stop. But as the day went on it just got worse and worse. At one point every time I let it drop to an idle it would go into reverse. Quite a pain. But at least a siren alarms so you know your in reverse. I took it home, took off the hood and checked every plug in the wiring harness I could find. Made sure they were all dry, and left the sled in the shop to make sure it wasn't water in somewhere. I also checked the reverse switch and it checked out OK. So my new question is this, it seems like this could be a ground issue causing both problems, where is the main ground for the ecu on these sleds, or do you all think it's a coincidence, and someone knows what's up with the reverse. The coolant sensor is a piece of cake. But reverse is driving me mad trying to figure out out. Thanks for any help

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
Hey everyone, I have completely lost my mind on this problem. My 2014 proclimb Ha started flashing the temp light and shifting into reverse all on its own.
So early on my 3rd ride this season it started flashing temp. I stopped and tried to check everything out. there was a lot of snow so I was pretty certain it was not getting to hot, and I had plenty of coolant so I chocked it up to a faulty sensor. It wasn't long after that, that I noticed the sled go into reverse when we all stopped for a break. I figured I must have bumped the switch as I came to a stop. But as the day went on it just got worse and worse. At one point every time I let it drop to an idle it would go into reverse. Quite a pain. But at least a siren alarms so you know your in reverse. I took it home, took off the hood and checked every plug in the wiring harness I could find. Made sure they were all dry, and left the sled in the shop to make sure it wasn't water in somewhere. I also checked the reverse switch and it checked out OK. So my new question is this, it seems like this could be a ground issue causing both problems, where is the main ground for the ecu on these sleds, or do you all think it's a coincidence, and someone knows what's up with the reverse. The coolant sensor is a piece of cake. But reverse is driving me mad trying to figure out out. Thanks for any help

I think all the grounds are behind the exaust can, right in front of the chain case but not 100% thats the only ones! I know I had several codes when I forgot to hook them back up, mostly coolant and air temp codes.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
I have seen this happen when water gets into the connectors, usually the big plug going to the cpu. Pull them apart, blow them out and put dielectric grease on the connector.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
I have seen this happen when water gets into the connectors, usually the big plug going to the cpu. Pull them apart, blow them out and put dielectric grease on the connector.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I have also seen this, but the time it happend to, it was moisture in the steering wiring harness connector. That connector is located on top and inside of secondery clutch.

H
Jan 10, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I have pulled all the plugs apart, and dried them out. I didn't add any dielectric grease so I may need to try that. I'm really hoping the ground just has some corrosion and is causing the issue.

H
Jan 10, 2016
well I have dried out all the wiring plugs focusing on the two you guys have suggested, pulled the ground, cleaned up the surfaces and put it back on to no avail. Next I will replace the switch. If that does not correct it, anybody have any other suggestions?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Are the two circuits in the same harness? If so I would check to see if the wires are rubbed and shorting across to one another.

T

Turbokarlsen

Nov 30, 2007
well I have dried out all the wiring plugs focusing on the two you guys have suggested, pulled the ground, cleaned up the surfaces and put it back on to no avail. Next I will replace the switch. If that does not correct it, anybody have any other suggestions?

It is water in your switch. i have seen it several times.
compressed air first and then electrical grease��

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Just look at the wire color on the temp sensor and the reverse switch, if the match start ohm testing them.

First thing I would do is unplug the handle bar harness and see if anything changes. The temp wires are fairly separate from most other wires but all the sensors share a common wire. So the next thing is to disconnect the hood harness.
If you have tether unplug it.

Remember you may not be able to shut it off without plugging in hood for the key switch or bars.

H
Jan 10, 2016
I have tried drying out the switch and the plugs, added the dielectric grease.

Ill start looking into the temp sensor and reverse switch to see what I get. Any idea where this common wire that all the gauges share is at?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Mine just did something goofy, start die, backfire when trying to start, rip cord out of hand. Thought maybe it was doing the same but it wouldn't start enough to even know for sure.
Hooked up scanner and had all kinds of codes,
But the active codes where det sensor, rpm overrun/ stator malfunction, and a command power p3000 code. 3000 code cat said was a short or water in connections.
Tested everything on the sled, checked sensors again and stator. (Don't touch the frame when testing)
No go.

Grabbed a ecu off new sled started no problem, put old ecu on, then it started with old one but wrench light on?
Showing codes of servo out of adjustment.
Push reverse button while running and it wouldn't work, started flashing temp light irratiaticaly, and ecu 06 (temp code)

Put ecu on new sled, same effect.
I think ecu had something bouncing around in it or water in it because it would throw one code then a different code. Weird chit

Fix was new ecu

H
Jan 10, 2016
Well I just gave in and took the sled in to the dealer to see about this problem. I am very confident that it was not an issue with water in a plug or switch at this point as I have pulled them all apart and dried them out multiple times. The dealer called me back today to let me know that they had been on the phone with cat tech, and it sounds they have been having some issues with wires rubbing inside the harness and causing this issue. Cat tech solution is to replace the harness. At 800 bucks that crazy to me. My dealer said he will try and track down the rub, it is supposedly happening in one or two spots. Glad I finally gave in and took it to them. Sounds like people that have ignored it have ended up cooking the ecu. Ill post if that is indeed the issue when I get the sled back.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Should be able to hook up scanner,
Then based on the codes, go straight to that pin in the plug and ohm test. If there is s short you would know pretty quick

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Had a 2012 that would start to shift into reverse on its own especially when letting completely off the throttle. Unpluged the connector that went to the reverse button inside the kill switch assembly which was full of snow and it solved the problem. Took it home dried everything out and it solved the problem until it got packed full of snow again. Really have no idea how that much snow was getting into the kill switch and the plug though. After the third time I took it apart and dried everything out i never had a problem again.

H
Jan 10, 2016
So after all is said and done, I ended up with a bad wire harness. Tried running down which wires had rubbed and no success. All the tests were all over the place. Cat tech said replace harness. Replaced it, and no more problems.

C
It is water in your switch. i have seen it several times.
compressed air first and then electrical grease��
i have bought a bran new cfr 1000 in crate . the dam new cfr1000 was going in reverse on it hone . i did check every plug more than one time and it was water in the connector . not only unplug the connector to check , YOU NEED TO OPEN THE CONNECTOR . yes they hare sealed but mine was having water .

Premium Features