• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Clutch sheave angle????

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
THIS IS TOM AT MTN VALLEY , THE SHEAVE ANGLE ON THE 2014 IS THE SAME AS 12 AND 13 WHILE PEOPLE ARE QUESTIONING OUR REASONS AS WELL AS IF IT WORKS . THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED BY CHANGING THE ANGLE , TEMP DROPS ON THE BELT AND DRIVEN BY 10-20 DEGREES LOWER . THE CLUTCHING WE HAVE COME UP WITH ALONE REDUCES TEMPS , JUST NOT AS MUCH . WHEN THE ENTIRE PACKAGE IS USED COMPLETE , TEMPS DROP 30-40 DEGREES AND THE SLED BECOMES MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE IN THROTTLE RESPONSE . AND JUST IS MORE FUN TO DRIVE . THE GEARING ALSO DROPS TEMPS GUARRANTEED JUST PUT IT IN . THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE JUST COMPLAINING ABOUT THEIR BELT ISSUES , WE HAVE TAKEN THE PRO-ACTIVE ROUTE TO TRY AND HELP . DO I THINK A/CAT HAS SOME RESPONSIBILITY , YES BUT AFTER WORKING WITH THEM I HAVE LEARNED WHY THINGS TAKE LONGER THAN WE THINK THEY SHOULD . BY THE WAY OUR M-8 153'' NOW HAS 750 MILES AND STILL GOING , MY TURBO M-8 HAS 350 MILES AND THE BELT LOOKS PERFECT . LAST YEAR WE COULD GET 125 -150 OUT OF EITHER BELT . I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE TO MOST OF YOU THANKS TOM PHIPPS MTN VALLEY MOTORSPORTS

Something tells me I would believe, this guy!!!!!!!!! He actually is responsible for the fix and has had the attention of Arctic. Naysayers have fun!

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Last weekend my buddy and I checked temps after a long pull and we were both at 170 on primary and 130 on secondary, he rides XM. What would you suggest for a change to even out the temps? Secondary spring change?

So I need to spend from 580 to a 1000 bucks to get my Belt/clutch temps down to the 170* range? Lol! Thanks AC!

Last edited:
S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Did you have a belt blower before? What were the temps on your clutching before and after? Not sure if that is already posted somewhere and I just missed it?

I do not not always post complaints like some. Yes I blew 10 belts last season and I run in much warmer temps and heavier snow conditions then most. The MVMS clutching setup was installed in early Dec and I am running the same belt since I changed over to the MVMS setup.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I do not not always post complaints like some. Yes I blew 10 belts last season and I run in much warmer temps and heavier snow conditions then most. The MVMS clutching setup was installed in early Dec and I am running the same belt since I changed over to the MVMS setup.

I just read the D*ck measuring you, wyo and bcil have been doing lol. I have been off the forums for a while so I haven't caught up yet...

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Heres my take for what littleits worth

Few bad primarys binding,
Some loose jackshaft nuts
Bad batch of belts
36 deg helix mismachined
Bad secondary bushing tolerances
Bad helix bushing tolerance
Too soft motor mounts
Too thin. Tcl
Too thin motor plate
Too high of gearing
Not perfect sheave angles
Snow ingestion
Water flinging from rotor in footwell

Fixing anyone of these issues will lower the temps, multiple you will drop them more and more, which ones are the cheapest and most effective??? Most these probably would be fine or you could have gotten away with 1or 2 of them in the past but when there all present = high temps resulting in expanding materials and worse tolerances/broken rollers

also I was under the impression in the past sheave angles were different on the primary to compensate for misalignment. The tcl supposidly alleviated the misalignment so they machined them the same, maybe they should machine one side bearly off on both now to compensate for whenboth clutches are off camber evenly as the moto rocks back... but im just a forum jamming belt burner so I could betalking out my ***!!!

-Aksnopro

Sent from my SAMSUNG Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV

Bad batch of belts
36 deg helix mismachined
Too soft motor mounts
Too thin. Tcl
Too thin motor plate
Too high of gearing

Fixing anyone of these issues will lower the temps, multiple you will drop them more and more, which ones are the cheapest and most effective??? Most these probably would be fine or you could have gotten away with 1or 2 of them in the past but when there all present = high temps resulting in expanding materials and worse tolerances/broken rollers

also I was under the impression in the past sheave angles were different on the primary to compensate for misalignment. The tcl supposidly alleviated the misalignment so they machined them the same, maybe they should machine one side bearly off on both now to compensate for whenboth clutches are off camber evenly as the moto rocks back... but im just a forum jamming belt burner so I could betalking out my ***!!!

-Aksnopro

No question you have a laundry list there AK. We saw similar issues here with the loose jack shaft, secondary bushings and gearing. While the TCL was an issue in some cases I honestly have not seen it here. Now that being said, did I not see fractures, uhhh no, I did see a fractured TCL in WY, and trust me I was shocked. The sheave angles, I think we could all agree there could be a little R&D to improve.

That being said, you all are running in a much lower altitude then most of us and I cannot help but think some of things you have witnessed are magnified and I can understand your frustration. It would be pretty interesting for you to give the 19/50 and clutching setup from MVMS a run(and I know your buggy is no longer usable :( and give some feedback to the primary setup back to MVMS to try and dial in at your elevation.

Have been doing some R&D on a rear skid for a secondary vendor and while we love to ride, the feedback and gathering of information for those trying to improve the sleds sometimes can be more fun then riding.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
I always aim to get both clutch sheave temps as close as possible....noticably more heat in one clutch means there is room for improvement in calibration. One clutch should not be overpowering the other. A quick temp check after a pull is a good way to figure your next move when dialing in clutches.

YOu are on the right track. In my Yami my belt temps NEVER go above 150 and the sec is with 5 degrees. Getting the clutches to work TOGETHER is THE key. I not only balance the secondary I did the primary as well. I tookl each weight out and found a difference of.8-1 gram. Unacceptable, once the primary was balanced and the weights perfect I went to the sec. I had machined both clutches for over 20 years. It make a HUGE difference. But the secret to great clutching is to work the clutches together,ANY slippage is heat and a loss of forward movement. GTearing too low will also put the clutch into overdrive, not good for the mtn's..I also graphite my bushings and rollers and weight arms and the same for the sec. Every little bit adds up..02

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
Anyone that gets a chance to figure this one out let me know please.

Oh and the 19/50 gears is retarded IMO, that would be the first thing to go.

not to argue and I don't have the 19-50 gearing yet but it's on it's way.
21-49=2.33
20-49=2.45
19-50=2.62
and 2010 m8 I believe as saw post here on snowest fwiw 2.63
and it works with my 2010 rg 162 @ 12psi@ 2500ft .
so if your main gripe is you don't wanna pay for it (gearing)to try it .a little birdie told me we may all be in luck .:face-icon-small-win

sorry back to angles now

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC

Bad batch of belts
36 deg helix mismachined
Too soft motor mounts
Too thin. Tcl
Too thin motor plate
Too high of gearing
Snow ingestion
Water flinging from rotor in footwell

-Aksnopro

Winterbrew siaid it best clutches must work together. You can tell if you are on the right track if your belt temp is going down. I have for years machined BOTH clutches and check the belts they are not always the same. I also balanced BOTH clutches. Might sound like overkill but everylittle bit adds up. Changing one thing to COMPENSATE is a bad idea, and shows there is an issue....02:face-icon-small-hap

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
When it comes to gears you guys can do what you want, I've done testing before and I go for performance, I've never gained any with lower gears, yeah the belt may not last as long, thats fine but I expect to get at least 300 miles out of a 150 dollar belt. Is that really asking to much. I average less than 100 miles per belt right now.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
When it comes to gears you guys can do what you want, I've done testing before and I go for performance, I've never gained any with lower gears, yeah the belt may not last as long, thats fine but I expect to get at least 300 miles out of a 150 dollar belt. Is that really asking to much. I average less than 100 miles per belt right now.

Holy crap. I read that and almost dropped my favorite bottle of bourbon. This week I went over 1,000 miles on my belt, (sled is not a Cat).

4mcntrls

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Drayton Valley Alberta
Last year I never blew a belt on my 2012's. This year, way to many for the amount I have rode. Dealer says there is nothing wrong. Lol. At this point if they don't fix it a new sled is cheaper than buying 1-2 belts per weekend.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
belts and clutches

Had a good talk with a cat engineers at the show. It has taken them 2 years on the secondaries and 4 on the primaries but they have the answer. First is they are gearing them down. Second they are fix the bearings in secondaries. Third is the primary and premature failure. It started in how they were building them they would cast them machine them then heat treat them and in doing that there was some bearing issues. Now they are casting them heat treating them then machining them. They said there should be a service bulletin to regear and bearing fix for secondary.

I have felt from day one that the sled that have had issue had a secondary issue. It turns out they bind not opening up all the way and the primary is just pulling belt apart.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
mm,

did they give any idea when the bulletin would be issued? is there going to be a fix for the primary that will be in a bulletin, or are only the new sleds getting the primary fix?

thx

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Most i have got out of a belt is 120 miles.

-Aksnopro

That is just unreal. Are your clutches real hot??? is there any belt marks on either clutch?? There has to be a reason. With my yami and 270-300 hp I get 2000k's easy. Slippage causes heat and so does squeezing it too hard just some:light::light:

Premium Features