• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Pro RMK. What is it worth?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
why do guys with used ones want $9000-$10000 for lowish mileage 12's?

Well... you know what they say.

Want in one hand, SH** in the other... see which one fills up quicker.

I've got buddies looking at sleds right now & some of the used prices out there are hilarious. Some people are delusional.

(funny... YOUR sled was one of the only ones I told them might be worth looking at compared to what we can get a new 12 pro around here for)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Really Paul? Really? Looks only? And you sell parts? Open mouth, insert foot. Mods I did to my sled.
1.Holz shock package, $1000. Worth every penny.
2.Teth Air $300. Worth every penny.
3.Air Frames, $450. Best mod to any sled by far for under $500.
4.Underhood bag. $50. Warm dry gloves and goggles, priceless.
5.Holz rear bumper, $50. Peace of mind mod, no worries about breaking.
6.Extreme Front bumper $150. Never used it but wanted the protection.
7. 2" riser. $30. My back liked this one a lot.
8. Skinz bar bag. $150. Nice spot for spare stuff, tools, water, etc.
9. Madsigntist gauge lifter, like $30. Nice to be able to see my RPM.
10. Madsigntist footwell screens. $65. Nice not to have snow on my clutch or battery.
4 year warranty. $1500 to replace if I had to pay for it. Free with snowcheck.
So I spend a little over $2300. Not one mod was for looks. Paul you remind me of a girl who won't buy ski boots that don't match her outfit. lol. Sled is cherry. Never hit anything not made of some form of water. Never had to put A-arms or bumpers on it so it's straight as stock. 500 miles. Maybe 350miles past break in. For $9500 I would rather have that sled than a new 12 for $300 less and I buy new sleds a lot.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
2011 pro sat here all last summer on craiglist for 5500.no warranty and nobody wanted it

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Really Paul? Really? Looks only? And you sell parts? Open mouth, insert foot. Mods I did to my sled.
10. Madsigntist footwell screens. $65. Nice not to have snow on my clutch or battery.
So I spend a little over $2300. Not one mod was for looks. Paul you remind me of a girl who won't buy ski boots that don't match her outfit. lol. Sled is cherry. Never hit anything not made of some form of water. Never had to put A-arms or bumpers on it so it's straight as stock. 500 miles. Maybe 350miles past break in. For $9500 I would rather have that sled than a new 12 for $300 less and I buy new sleds a lot.

Jeez MM, I think what Paul_Aris was getting at is the $ YOU spent on "need/wanted" mods isn't what him or the next fella would consider "gotta have's". IE I have an Assault, happy with the shocks, teth air would be cool, but I've never had an issue in 25 yrs, one of them "safety for safety's sake" things, same as your front bumper. Might be just our snow up here but the boards were great in our BC conditions, never saw a glaring need to swap em out.
Underhood bag, again kinda neat, but I have spare/dry gloves in my backpack and underseat bag. Front bumper is flimsy, I'll give you that, but mine is still straight as I was lucky enough not to sneeze on it.
I'm a shrimp at 5'9" so stock bar height is cool... Want the gauge lifter and have the footwell vents. So matching my "needs" and yours, there's about $1500 worth of stuff you've added I could really care less was on the machine if I was buying yours from the classifieds.

I could be wrong but I think that's the point Paul was driving towards..
:face-icon-small-hap

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

Wasn't talking about your sled in particular just general rule of thumb most people looking for a used sled are as concerned about your add-ons as they are in the general shape in condition of the sled. That is way the mods never bring you close to the money invested when you go to sell the sled. Now you just have to convince your buyer that all those mods are worth what you think they are. I love throwing aftermarket accessories on my sleds. My last sled had a lot more of them but I also had it longer. I still stand by my Statement that the Pro is pretty darn good out of the box. Doesn't mean they all are but the Pro is. But everyone likes to mod just don't expect the guy buying it used to feel the same way you do. Remember you would rather have your sled than a new one. Makes perfect sense. After all your the one that choose those mods.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Well... you know what they say.

Want in one hand, SH** in the other... see which one fills up quicker.

I've got buddies looking at sleds right now & some of the used prices out there are hilarious. Some people are delusional.

(funny... YOUR sled was one of the only ones I told them might be worth looking at compared to what we can get a new 12 pro around here for)

Ha, thats good to hear about my sled! I've got a little wiggle room on that price if they are serious about it as well. I'm not sure exactly what I would take for it, I just want to build another.

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
I think if everyone didn't give the **** away...I work really hard for my money. The sled market is the worst of all the powersports market. We have the best product right now, why sell it at fire sale prices? For all up guys saying you paid low low prices....I call bull****! 20 % retail to cost. That includes holdback, which is about 5 %. I've been a dealer of powersport equipment for 20+ years.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Did I see someone paid 10700 OTD for a 2013 PRO RMK? I'm calling BS on that! Unless I see a receipt posted for it, it didn't happen.

But hey if it makes you feel better or feeds your ego to come on here and tell everyone how "good" of a deal you think you got then bravo to you! :whoo:

For those who like to call up people with sleds for sale and offer them $7000 cash for a sled worth every penny of 10k... a long middle finger extends your way... you know who you are... and may your $7000 sled blow up 3 times this winter. :face-icon-small-dis

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Did I see someone paid 10700 OTD for a 2013 PRO RMK? I'm calling BS on that! Unless I see a receipt posted for it, it didn't happen.

But hey if it makes you feel better or feeds your ego to come on here and tell everyone how "good" of a deal you think you got then bravo to you! :whoo:

For those who like to call up people with sleds for sale and offer them $7000 cash for a sled worth every penny of 10k... a long middle finger extends your way... you know who you are... and may your $7000 sled blow up 3 times this winter. :face-icon-small-dis

I got a sled for $10,785 OTD...here is my sale slip...

Attachments

• SALE SLIP.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 171

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
For you guys callin BS on a good price for a snowchecked sled...

Last year I snowchecked a 2012 Assault RMK w/ 5.1 track from my local dealer. Base price was $10109 then take $450 off cuz I went w/ the 2 yr warranty. I think dealer fee was $89 and sales tax is 5%. Total OTD was something like $10250 or so... If you'd like, I'll dig out the purchase agreement and snap a pic of it.

Don't feel too bad, I'll spend the extra cash I saved on travel to ride it. I think I put on roughly 4400 miles on the truck to actually ride a total of 13 days and put about 680 miles on it. Pay the extra to your local dealer and love the fact that you live close to good riding. the things I do to fuel my addiction... :face-icon-small-con and it doesn't bother me one bit haha :face-icon-small-coo

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
A friend of mine just purchased (from a dealer near here) a brand new (0 miles) 2012 800 Pro RMK 155" with electric start, for $8900. This does not include tax, title, etc. Thought I would share this with everyone.:face-icon-small-coo

I'd say he should feel pretty good about that purchase. Always someone who will get a better deal than u on here, but who cares, ur friend is gonna think he died & went to heaven after he puts a couple rides on that sled....

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
all i see is the price at top....wheres the rest??? bs...

The rest has my $500 deposit and card information...I dont need to explain myself, but I will.

The reason this particular dealer is “generous” is because they don’t carry sleds on hand, they only sno-check a small amount every year. I just happen to get one that someone decided not to go through with. The dealer who typically deals with ATV’s, wanted the sled gone before it arrived. So she cut me a deal.

Also, reason some of the dealers here in the mid west are cheaper then out west is because they know we don’t get the snow fall and clientele every year that dealers in the mountain would, so give someone a good deal on a sled, they will more than likely come back for a ATV or service.

2nd, sleds are shipped out of MN. Being Iowa is a lot closer then let’s say Utah or WY, and then it obviously saves the dealers money because Polaris uses independent shipping companies. A little example. Shipping rates are between $1.5-$1.85/ running mile (around here) so from MN to Salt Lake City its about 1,300 miles one way. 2,600 miles at $1.65 = $4,300 (plus or minus). Put 6-8 sleds on a truck at one time thats $600/sled delivered...do you think dealers are going to take $600 on the chin to make $300 off a new sled...NO, they will pass it on to the customer. which would put the sled around $11,300...just about whatever everyone out west is paying for roughly...and what I paid last year when I bought mine out west.

So before you want to call BS on someone else’s deal, get all the facts out on the table. I know what I paid for my sled and that’s all that matters, I don’t care about my “ego”.

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
The rest has my $500 deposit and card information...I dont need to explain myself, but I will.

The reason this particular dealer is “generous” is because they don’t carry sleds on hand, they only sno-check a small amount every year. I just happen to get one that someone decided not to go through with. The dealer who typically deals with ATV’s, wanted the sled gone before it arrived. So she cut me a deal.

Also, reason some of the dealers here in the mid west are cheaper then out west is because they know we don’t get the snow fall and clientele every year that dealers in the mountain would, so give someone a good deal on a sled, they will more than likely come back for a ATV or service.

2nd, sleds are shipped out of MN. Being Iowa is a lot closer then let’s say Utah or WY, and then it obviously saves the dealers money because Polaris uses independent shipping companies. A little example. Shipping rates are between $1.5-$1.85/ running mile (around here) so from MN to Salt Lake City its about 1,300 miles one way. 2,600 miles at $1.65 = $4,300 (plus or minus). Put 6-8 sleds on a truck at one time thats $600/sled delivered...do you think dealers are going to take $600 on the chin to make $300 off a new sled...NO, they will pass it on to the customer. which would put the sled around $11,300...just about whatever everyone out west is paying for roughly...and what I paid last year when I bought mine out west.

So before you want to call BS on someone else’s deal, get all the facts out on the table. I know what I paid for my sled and that’s all that matters, I don’t care about my “ego”.

Buying someone else's deal they backed out of means they already PAID a $500 deposit the dealer kept. Allowing you to buy the sled for 10785 PLUS the $500 the other person paid that the dealer kept meant the real sled price to the dealer was 11285.
You just got lucky someone else paid down your total. Thats very smart on your part!!! I try to do the same!

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Buying someone else's deal they backed out of means they already PAID a $500 deposit the dealer kept. Allowing you to buy the sled for 10785 PLUS the $500 the other person paid that the dealer kept meant the real sled price to the dealer was 11285.
You just got lucky someone else paid down your total. Thats very smart on your part!!! I try to do the same!

Actually the deposit was refunded, because I know the guy..he does a lot of business with that dealer and they worked with him. I could of got that deal during sno-check all day long.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009

Actually, your math is way off. I can't say for fact that Polaris does it the same way, but Arctic Cat charges the same freight amount on a sled delivered to Omaha, NE as it does to Montana or California, etc. I would assume that Polaris does it the same way for fairness sake. Your freight rates are way low also. Current freight rates would be more like $2.30 to $2.60 per mile including fuel surcharge plus extra stop charges. Most sleds are shipped in quantities of 18 to 28 sleds per truck, depending on sled type & track length.

I'm not doubting that you paid what you said you did for the '13 Pro, good for you. I'm just saying that your rationale for different pricing, based on geographic location is inaccurate.

You will love your new Pro.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Actually, your math is way off. I can't say for fact that Polaris does it the same way, but Arctic Cat charges the same freight amount on a sled delivered to Omaha, NE as it does to Montana or California, etc. I would assume that Polaris does it the same way for fairness sake. Your freight rates are way low also. Current freight rates would be more like $2.30 to $2.60 per mile including fuel surcharge plus extra stop charges. Most sleds are shipped in quantities of 18 to 28 sleds per truck, depending on sled type & track length.

I'm not doubting that you paid what you said you did for the '13 Pro, good for you. I'm just saying that your rationale for different pricing, based on geographic location is inaccurate.

You will love your new Pro.

I based my prices off what my neighbor who drives truck to California and back once a month told me and by the dealer justifing their price, I tried to get my sled shipped to Cooke before delivery and couldnt because each truck is under independant contract to that location. I also got this info from when I bought my 12' last year from a different dealer in laramie, that said shipping cost was more for them.

Just what I was told I guess, maybe its not worth holding a candle too.

Premium Features