• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 800 locked up.

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
Excuse me if this is a dumb question. My 2012 800 with 1600ish miles dropped to one cylinder and died while cruising down the trail about 5 miles from the trailer. Locked up tight. Got it home and started tearing it down last night. Got the head off and thought I could maybe break it loose turning the clutch. I can get it to turn but it is very stiff. There does not appear to be any major damage to the cylinders. Going to tear down further tonight but was just curious what else i am looking at. Im far from an engine expert so just wondering what in the bottom end could cause it to lock up. I'm guessing maybe a crank bearing or something but looking for advise.
thanks

Tim

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
I had my 800 do the same thing a few years ago. Was definitely the rod bearing. The thrust washers welded them selves to the rod and locked it tight. I went with a complete Indy Dan long rod set up and his cylinders. Its alot of money on a sled that old but it would be good after the rebuild. Might look for a low mileage Axys if there are any in your area.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Could be lower connecting rod bearing. Its very common on the motors with the MAPE crank in them. Or a piston skirt or cylinder skirt broke. If any of these things happened theres a very high possibility that the crank case is also damaged.

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
Rod bearing for the win (or loss). Now to decide best course of action. What is the advantage of Indy dan’s long rod motor over the short rod?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
You can search the site for the Indy Dan long rod discussion. But it helps correct the piston and rod geometry to reduce the side loading of the piston similar to the fix it kits but it allows you to use stock pistons. You can also get it in the light weight axys crank for your Pro. I would also check the bottom of the cylinder skirts. The 2013 and up had improved strength down there to keep them from breaking off. I would just do a new crank and the cylinders and pistons from Indy Dan and then you will know you have a good motor that will last for a long time. He also has complete engines ready to go if you wanted to go that route. He is more money but he gives 3 year warranty on his assembled engines so that tells me he knows his stuff will run with out any issues. Here is one thread to get you started. https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/polaris-800-owners-dont-replace-your-stock-pistons.433563/

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I run indy dans long rod engine. His warranty was worth it to me. Runs great. I would say the new cylinder finish is worth just as much as the long rod components though.

One thing about the lightweight crank is that it seems to be harder on primary clutches. Pick your poison.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Premium Features