• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 m8 3inch track with geo mod?

R
Dec 6, 2010
anybody tried a 3 inch camoplast with the geo mod setup?
just installed a 3 inch track on my 11 m8 trenches and catwalks like crazy.
wondering if geo mod would be a quick fix or if i need to go to a different skid set up.

headed out sleding this weekend going to try loosening the front shock and and putting the rear at 140 psi.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Have you measure for clearance? I havent done the geo mod because there is NO room to move that rear mount up at all.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I can tell you the 3" track works great with the K MOD. If I set the K MOD on #3 and hit a hard spot or old tracks under the snow I get ungodly traction. The skis come up enough that I let off the throttle and the track gets so much traction that you can lay back into it and keep going. You spent a lot of money on the track so save up for a coupled system.

R
Dec 6, 2010
Have you measure for clearance? I havent done the geo mod because there is NO room to move that rear mount up at all.

No I haven't measured.the mod I had seen was the geo Elvis mod. Ill see if I can find the link again. Thought it moved the rear mount just forward Of the bottom hole. And the front down. If that's the case can't see any reason for clearance. It will keep that in mind.

R
Dec 6, 2010
Here is the geo mod I'll see if I can find the Eli's geo mod aswell its a little different. But yes your right Polarisrocks it does look like it will make he track tight in the tunnel.

R
Dec 6, 2010
I can tell you the 3" track works great with the K MOD. If I set the K MOD on #3 and hit a hard spot or old tracks under the snow I get ungodly traction. The skis come up enough that I let off the throttle and the track gets so much traction that you can lay back into it and keep going. You spent a lot of money on the track so save up for a coupled system.

Yes I think I'll be upgrading skid next season. Thinking either k
Mod or timbersled. Seems like the coupled rear skid is the way to go.

R
Dec 6, 2010
Lossened the front skid shock to show 5 threads. Rear shock pumped up to 140 psi. Worked way better than before. Still catwalks more than I would like and on rough stuff will bottom out rarely.
Going to try and give the front shock on more thread and possibly rear shock 150.
Pretty bad on the trail this way tho

I also had to cut down the lugs to 2 7/8 of an inch to make it clear the cooler. Doesn't. Hasn't rubber since.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
1" or 1 notch.

That will make it steer hard.

Try the geo mod, mod work and easy to change if not, but it might allow you to run tighter in the rear with a better ride.

The 3" is just going to pull hard, if your climbing your handle bars should be all the way down so you can keep your feet forward and keep from pulling the sled up with your weight.

M
Mar 7, 2008
I have a 3 inch on my otherwise stock 2011 M8 162 sno pro. Track works well. Have noticed when really on it and snow heavy that track is slower to get up to speed. I've been wondering if gearing it lower might be a good idea to help with that?

Thinking about changing to the polaris clutch (have about 1200 miles on sled, has original AC primary) and like to hear more opinions on that?

Also would like to hear opinions/advice on shock revalving/rebuilds and what the benefits are in handling that others have noticed.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
SO- it doesn't steer that hard

his post was about trenching, I have a 3" track and that is what i did, helped alot

M
Mar 7, 2008
I know who you are, and have seen what the 3" club has done - all I can say is wow!!!

Well you had your chance to try it! There's new snow last day or so you can try it! Give me your opinion on gearing. I also think need to upgrade to the polaris clutch as at the ticking time bomb mileage now! I think need a day or two out any days between this Thursday - Sunday. Is anything planned?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
pull up the straps- try it- don't change back

doesn't cost a thing and takes 15 minutes to do, made a difference on mine but my sled is boosted

Premium Features