• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Suspension Mod (holz shock system or T Motion)

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I have a 2008 xummit xp X package. I have spent hours searching for my answer on here but haven't had much luck. I am curious to what I would need to put the 2010 holtz rear Fox suspension system in my 2008. I know the shock is longer so I would need the 2010 arm bracket??? what is this and how can I find it? Is this all I would need to put that in my 08 skid?

Or I was thinking of going with the T motion route. $320 and I have the new technology. will I have to get a new shock set up? any relocating brackets or anything? or do I just keep everything I have stock (08 X package) and install it with what ever I get when I purchase the t-motion kit for $320??

Which one would be better? I am not a trail rider by any means PLEASE HELP!!! thank you :)

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Can you clarify?.....the Holz skid replaces everything so no brackets or anything needed, it is an entire suspension. Or do you mean just Fox Float shocks?....nothing has to change to just run different shocks. The '10+ geometry does require the brackets, longer limiter strap and shock but not required to run Floats.
Have you looked at the Toms suspension? Or Kmod?

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Not the whole holz skid. just the shocks
phpThumb.php

what would I need to put these in? they are for the 2010-2012 model sleds. I have the 08

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
I did look at both the Toms and K-mod. I am wanting to put just these 2010-2012 shocks in my 2008 skid. If there is an easy way to do it with out swapping my rails and everything else. I know the 10 has a longer shock than the 08s. so would I just get the 2010 oem stock Welded Arm for $60 and be good to throw those shocks in or do I have other things that I need to change the "geometry" of the 08 skid to the 10 to make those things fit and work properly?

I don't know if just putting the T-motion kit in would be more affordable and better in the long haul?

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Ok thank you guys for the input. Im going to do t motion with holz rear

shock kit. should make a world of difference! I have one last question.

I see that Toms kit with the Torsion Bars which delete the two big black

rear springs in the rear. Is this a good combo with what I mentioned

above? any real benefit from deleting those big springs?

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I did look at both the Toms and K-mod. I am wanting to put just these 2010-2012 shocks in my 2008 skid. If there is an easy way to do it with out swapping my rails and everything else. I know the 10 has a longer shock than the 08s. so would I just get the 2010 oem stock Welded Arm for $60 and be good to throw those shocks in or do I have other things that I need to change the "geometry" of the 08 skid to the 10 to make those things fit and work properly?

I don't know if just putting the T-motion kit in would be more affordable and better in the long haul?

If you are buying this shock package; to make it work in your sled, you only need to add a shock relocation kit for the front track. We sell the brackets as do other companies. They are relatively inexpensive, and relocate the front track shock back to approximately the 2010 geometry.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
If you are buying this shock package; to make it work in your sled, you only need to add a shock relocation kit for the front track. We sell the brackets as do other companies. They are relatively inexpensive, and relocate the front track shock back to approximately the 2010 geometry.

Updating to 2012 rails would eliminate the need for the relocation bracket correct!? I imagine the hole is already moved back in rails from 2010-2012

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Updating to 2012 rails would eliminate the need for the relocation bracket correct!? I imagine the hole is already moved back in rails from 2010-2012

Updating rails isn't worth it, unless you can get them super cheap. The relocation kit works great. The Holz rear track shock doesn't work with T-motion (I've got one and couldn't make it fit). The piggyback reservoir is the issue. If you want to upgrade, I'd go with Tom's E-mo kit. Lose all the weight of the torsion springs and gain the adjustability of Fox floats.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Updating rails isn't worth it, unless you can get them super cheap. The relocation kit works great. The Holz rear track shock doesn't work with T-motion (I've got one and couldn't make it fit). The piggyback reservoir is the issue. If you want to upgrade, I'd go with Tom's E-mo kit. Lose all the weight of the torsion springs and gain the adjustability of Fox floats.

I got some 2012 163" rails for extremely cheap. I did a little trading. I also bought the T-motion kit to put on there. So that holz rear suspension upgrade for 2011-2012 with fox floats for front and fox zero pro piggy back system for the back wont fit because of the t motion? im glad I held off on the purchase than. So now I need to find a longer front skid shock (2010-2014) and just keep the back rear skid shock stock(2008)?

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
If you have 2011-2012 rails, you'd probably better stick with a product designed to work specifically with those rails. I think you're trying to do too much piecing together with different parts, and if you're not careful, you could make the suspension ineffective, if not completely dysfunctional. There are a lot of variables in a skid setup such as mounting hole locations, shock tension and pre-load, and geometry that are all carefully engineered to give you the proper balance of suspension for track flotation, weight transfer, etc. Frankenstein-ing a kit together could turn out to be costly, and counterintuitive. Why not use the 2012 rails and install the 2010-newer shocks and T-Motion and just try that out for awhile. Otherwise, I'd consult Tom's snowmobile, or another reputable rear suspension vendor.

toms said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew44

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
If you have 2011-2012 rails, you'd probably better stick with a product designed to work specifically with those rails. I think you're trying to do too much piecing together with different parts, and if you're not careful, you could make the suspension ineffective, if not completely dysfunctional. There are a lot of variables in a skid setup such as mounting hole locations, shock tension and pre-load, and geometry that are all carefully engineered to give you the proper balance of suspension for track flotation, weight transfer, etc. Frankenstein-ing a kit together could turn out to be costly, and counterintuitive. Why not use the 2012 rails and install the 2010-newer shocks and T-Motion and just try that out for awhile. Otherwise, I'd consult Tom's snowmobile, or another reputable rear suspension vendor.

your right. That's exactly what I am going to do. Thanks for the help!

Premium Features