• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Dragon Switchback help - stator?

R
Feb 21, 2021
Saskatchewan
First post - longtime lurker!!!
Have a d7 that died on me yesterday, we were stopped, started up and drove 10ft and died. Towed home as we learned a $850 lesson a month ago about the VR and the ECU !!! Not trusting that the VR is still good I started testing the stator, and found the following - all readings at 10deg Celsius... spec amounts in ()
Yellow-yellow - all three combs .13ohms
Dark green/red to Brown/white - 34 (30)
Blue yellow to blue yellow - 4.1 (2.4)
White red to white - 184.5 (190)
White/dark green to dark green - 183.9 (190)
Brown to ground - 1.3 (0)

are these values off spec enough to worry about?
Not sure how 10 degrees versus spec of 20 degrees affects values ....I will take the VR in to be tested tomorrow. But that’s two VRs in 200 miles, last VR was 4013587 part.
Thanks for any help.....

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Injector coil Blue/Yellow to Blue/Yellow is quite a bit out of spec. Max should be 2.76 ohms instead of 4.1.
I don't really know if that would be enough to cause problems or not but If it was running and then quit suddenly I doubt the coil would suddenly jump in resistance. Most likely it would go open or shorted out.
You might have a possible resistive ground as brown should be tied right to ground so I would think 0 ohms is what it should be.
I suppose your meter could be a bit off though in which case the above is all moot.
Did you happen to check for spark? It's pretty hard to check for fuel on a CFI.

R
Feb 21, 2021
Saskatchewan
I see i missed a reading ....

Yellow-yellow - all three combs .13ohms
Dark Green/Red to Green/Yellow - 18.1 (15)
Dark green/red to Brown/white - 34 (30)
Blue yellow to blue yellow - 4.1 (2.4)
White red to white - 184.5 (190)
White/dark green to dark green - 183.9 (190)
Brown to ground - 1.3 (0)

the Brown to ground was checked on two multimeters (they could both be out - but they did read 0 on other ground testing)

The brown connection would be on the stator plate itself - correct?

The Dark Green / Red to G/Y and B/W are both above limit and both read off the exciter coil.

When the sled died, we were sledding in very warm (-4degree C) and riding hard - I've experienced exciter coils crapping out on older sleds like that before....

I believe if I warmed up the stator to room temperature - those reading would get higher and further out of spec - is that correct???

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Yes, resistance increases with temperature so they would go minimally higher.
I'm sorry I can't really answer for sure but I think the brown connection would be right on the stator plate. I haven't had the need to see where it is physically grounded.
Have you had a chance to try to restart it after getting it into a warm place?
Try priming the fuel pump to see if you can hear it working by following this writeup Here

R
Feb 21, 2021
Saskatchewan
Retiredpop - thanks very much for your responses.

I took the stator out of the machine and into the house overnight -- room temperature readings
Dark Green/Red to Green/Yellow - 30
Dark green/red to Brown/white - 42

pretty significant change at the right temperature!!!

New stator on order.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Wow, I am surprised a few degrees temperature increase would make that much difference. Thank you for posting your findings.

Premium Features