• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 600 SDI starts and dies

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
My sons got a 2006 600 SDI renegade. The history is we bought needing a front nun 1 owner in perfect condition he hit a culvert. This past summer we replaced the nun and drained the fuel out if the tank, put in new and it started and ran like a Swiss watch. I ran it around the yard a couple times and it ran perfect. It sat in my garage 3 weeks went to move it and it starts up runs 2-3 seconds and dies. It will do this every or every other pull. I've replaced the battery with new, put in new plugs, switched around the 3 relays, even went as far as removing the fuel rail and injectors energizing them with 12 volts and spraying injector cleaner through them. As far as I can tell it's getting fuel for the start charge but that's it. Only enough for the 2-3 second run then dies. When it first ran the engine light was always on there are 2 beeps then 3 quick beeps each time you go to start it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

W
Nov 11, 2013
I have an 05 SDI. Shop manual troubleshooting for the engine indicates the 2 beeps are confirming the DESS is working. 3 beeps indicates the DESS has a fault. Check the connection at the quick disconnect, it may be loose.

For the fuel, borrow a fuel pressure gauge from a parts store. You should get 58 lbs in the line. You can test it by pushing the RER/start switch. The fuel pump turns on for a couple seconds and builds fuel pressure. I had a faulty pressure gauge and about half the fuel spit out the bleeder line and the sled still runs.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
It has 2 beeps followed by 4 quick beeps not 3 as I posted. I have a pressure gauge so I'll try that tomorrow.

W
Nov 11, 2013
My manual for the 05 says 4 short beeps is a low oil level on the 2-TEC models.

The oil pump may have an issue, haven't played with this issue yet.

I got a shop manual from Midwest Manuals for $10. All electronic so no waiting for it to ship. There may be a different code for your sled.

L
Dec 12, 2019
My sons got a 2006 600 SDI renegade. The history is we bought needing a front nun 1 owner in perfect condition he hit a culvert. This past summer we replaced the nun and drained the fuel out if the tank, put in new and it started and ran like a Swiss watch. I ran it around the yard a couple times and it ran perfect. It sat in my garage 3 weeks went to move it and it starts up runs 2-3 seconds and dies. It will do this every or every other pull. I've replaced the battery with new, put in new plugs, switched around the 3 relays, even went as far as removing the fuel rail and injectors energizing them with 12 volts and spraying injector cleaner through them. As far as I can tell it's getting fuel for the start charge but that's it. Only enough for the 2-3 second run then dies. When it first ran the engine light was always on there are 2 beeps then 3 quick beeps each time you go to start it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
I have this exact same problem with a 2007 600 HOSDI blizzard. Please help if you can. Thank you.

Premium Features