• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 xc sp 600 ves problems

J
Jan 24, 2015
Ok so I bought a 2000 polaris xc sp 600 ves and had a few minor problems that I fixed. I put a 136x1.5 track on it and took it up north first of the year. Thing rode great had some low to mid range bog (20-30mph) brought it back and had some bad flooding in the motor so I had the carbs and pump rebuilt. Now it backfires or coughs at idle and had no power. Put new plugs in it and it would not even start. Now I need fill choke to start and run it but still no power. 95lbs of compression across the board. Rebuilt motor and no difference. Any ideas?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Check to make sure the carburetors are into the carb adapters properly i.e. the rubber did not get folded over on itself. Also check the adapters for damage such as cracks or delaminating.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
First year of the small block 600. Make sure you have your temperature sensor plugged in right. If you can find one somewhere you might try a new one or SLP makes a bypass resistor to check it. If that sensor is bad the sled will barely run.

Check the carbs, seems like from your description things turned much worse when you had the carbs serviced. Make sure the choke cable isn't sticking open or holding the chokes open.

Who did the carb and pump rebuild? Trust him to have done good work? I had a sled brought to me that had been in to a shop for carb service, wouldn't run after. The shop put the carbs back together completely wrong.

sled_guy

J
Jan 24, 2015
Thanks guys for replying I did not see that you sent something back. So I had pro snow in elburn rebuild the carbs and pump. 217 for then to be cleaned rebuilt pressure tested and all that good stuff. So this week I put the gaskets on and new pistons and tryed to run it. Ran great for about 2 min then huge cloud of white smoke. Head o rings were smashed. Called up pro snow again and he had an extra set and new base gaskets. He said needed a hone jon on cylinders. Took the sled back out today after I put it together and fell off from how hard it pulled. So I thing I just had a combo of alot of things going on.

J
Jan 24, 2015
Like so I was riding my sled today and it was all powder she seemed to not have the top end I remembered. Riding on a strait away and backfired pretty good then ran well. Did it again then it died and will not start again. Coil cdi or stater?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Do you have spark? If so then it's not the coils. If you don't, could be coils/CDI or stator.

If it was deep powder you might have gotten water in an electrical connector although that is pretty hard on that motor.

sled_guy

J
Jan 24, 2015
I saw I had some wires that Fuzed to the motor mount. Rode some more today had about 12 inches of powder and ran pretty well but now the track sags about 3 inches below the hifax. It's a new track.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Unusual for a track to stretch that much but not a big deal. Did you have the jam nuts tightened on the adjuster bolts? I always run the track as loose as possible without ratcheting on a hard pull. Any tighter and you're just losing performance.

J
Jan 24, 2015
Both bolts were tight and jam nuts were still tight. Could ice build up cause it to loosen. It happened after I jumped a drift

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ice build up probably not.

"Happened after I jumped a drift"

Check for bent/broken suspension parts.

sled_guy

J
Jan 24, 2015
I still have a problem that it really needs to start with the choke and will not idle without choke till it warms up for about 4 min then backfires

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Something is not right with the carb settings. It could be low float levels or something as simple as a misadjusted fuel screw. How many turns out from lightly seated are they?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
That seems like a lot. Owners manual says 2 turns out. It also says that is an air screw on those carburetors so if that is true then it would definitely be lean on idle and would explain why you have to run with choke on so long. Try them at 2 turns out and see what happens.

J
Jan 24, 2015
Ok thanks. I will try that tomorrow. Today I took it for a spin and it started after like 3 pulls. It's about 4 degrees out. Ran well but after I warmed it up did not want any throttle then I let it idle for a min or two then ran fine after. Maybe do I have a hole in the intake boots?

Premium Features