• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

????

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
I know Jmoore on here just came up with a outside the hood intake for his turbo xp.. I think you will be able to get them from Turbo Performance after Jim does a little more fabbing. This should really help the XP's breath!!

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
I have tried a couple of different things also. My turbo kit was designed to draw air from the flat spot on the console right beside the gauge pod. Nice idea but it is one of the first places to get covered in snow, sled was starving for air in no time. I then ran a big k&n out of that spot and it was much better but the filter would ice up and the sled would starve for air, it did have a prefilter on it. I had to put the k&n under the hood to keep it from icing up, so I am back to the drawing board. I agree we need fresh air, it makes a big difference in hp.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i gotta say, i dont know about the XP's but your gonna have to get em WAY up out of the way, i know on my sled i have been working pretty hard to get fresh air to the turbo and seems like without a well placed intake i can bury it in snow almost every few seconds if i carve in snow 1' ++

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I put prefilter on my other side vent for todays ride and have not had any problems all day today in plenty of over the hood and lay it on its side sidehills in deep pow. Sled runs great. I have lots of venting. shocktower is all vented out on turbo side and side panel is vented in front of the turbo. Just a piece of screen over the intake to the turbo.
The idea of a snorkel to get fresh air sounds great, but will need to be a bit away from the body work to work good, and I just don't like the way they look. I have seen and have pics of one snorkel setup on a turbo xp. I would like to see what turbo performance and jmoore have for a idea though.
I do hvac for a living so I have temp probs I could put on the intake screen just to see what the intake temps are to see how much of a difference a snorkel could posibly make. Lowest intake temps is always a good thing. :cool:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i gotta say, if you could hook up a intake temp setup and test different systems... that would be IDEAL!! get everyone some real world numbers on weather or not it shows gains!!

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I don't know if I will have time to ride this week thur or fri or not. Hopefully buisy working and makeing some money. If not this week I will ride this weekend for sure. I will just bring my temp probe setup with me and rig it up on the sled for a little while to do some testing.
I can have one probe on the intake screen on turbo and one say on the riser to get outdoor air temps and it will display the temp difference between intake temp and outdoor air temp. :cool:
Definatly interested in seeing what I find out.
unfortunatly every sled will be a little different depending on how well it is vented and the snow conditions. Hopefully still have over the hood this weekend if not more snow.
I am going to header wrap my pipe this week. The nose of the sled under the hood in the front gets very hot. I have a cpi turbo pipe and it is just painted high temp black. Hopefully wraping it will keep the heat in the pipe and under hood temps down.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I hope you can get that to work, I definately understand it being a huge variable as like you said. vents/snow... etc. but i think it would just be some interesting info to say the least.

and header wrap will keep the temp in the pipe like you wont beleive!! on my 4 banger setup the header will be red hot where you can see it, but when you shut it off you can touch the wrap and not leave a burn.. obviously its hot as $hit, but not gonna melt your fingertip off!

also, just a thought for those who route the tube out the top... you want a LOT of surface area, its amazing how fast snow can stick to the tube, also, try to get the intake part as far away from the console area as possible if going up out the side, i find mine when i carve right the snow slides up the hood and wedges between the filter and the console area... its 4-6" away, but it sorta funnels the snow in and sticks it to the turbo... im working on a setup to run it out behind the windshield like the alpine yamaha's!

Last edited:
Premium Features