• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 Yz450f maps or ecu

K
Dec 9, 2015
Mill City, OR
For stock ECU, I ended up running the +3 timing/-3 fuel combo and set up my buddy's bike the same. No problems with lean or any other issues.

I did end up adding the Vortex ECU with PR2 tuning after doing some talking with others about potential gains and the ability to eliminate the overfueling that is supposed to occur at temps below 100 degree F as the engine tries to "help" with warm up. Mind you, I wasn't necessarily noticing any real milky character to the engine oil on changes, but, while I change it frequently, I didn't save any samples for before and after comparison of color. At the same time, the tuner definitely brought more life and grunt to the engine from my seat of the pants observations. If it were a little easier to access that goofy thing while out playing, I would try to swap them back and forth for playing in the same features, but that isn't really practical with the YZ IMO.

Nov 22, 2021
Alaska
Thank you,
I have heard good things about Tokyo Vortex from a few people but do not want to spend that much before I decide if I like it.
If I like it the next thing I will be buying is a Rekluse Clutch, so wanted to make the stock ECU work for this year.

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
I just got my stock (CRF450R) ECU back from Tokyo Mods with their snowbike tunes on it. Haven't started it up yet since other projects are still ongoing, but I'll see once the snow flies what the difference is.

Nov 22, 2021
Alaska
Let me know how you like it.
I talked to them the other day about my stock ECU but they will not load tunes on my stock ECU so have to buy the complete aftermarket ECU.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
I have a 2016 YZ450F soon with a GYTR head assembly and a slip on, I'm going to run the -3 fuel +3 timing with the tuner this year. I tried for 6 months to get a vortex for my bike with no luck. Hoping leaning it out will help with fuel in my oil.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I have 2 YZ's a 2011 with a GYTR head and cams and a 2018. At 80% throttle I run -1 for the fuel and +3 on timing across the board. My 2018 lean popped and hit the rev limiter too easy with -3 fueling and it didn't really make any more power. I cant remember off hand what's currently loaded in the 2011 but for what its worth it pulls harder everywhere than the 2018. The GYTR CNC ported head really wakes it up. As far as fuel in the oil, I get none on either bike. I'd monitor your temps if you are seeing fuel in there.

M5

Nov 22, 2021
Alaska
Thank you Toy4rnr:
Let me know how you like it or if you end up playing with it. That suck about vortex, they told me they are 6-8 weeks out when I talked to them.

M5:
Are you running -3 fuel below 80% throttle?
I bought the bike this summer and guy said he never saw fuel in the oil and was running stock but he changed oil every ride too. I have heard the ported head does really make a difference.

M
Jan 14, 2004
On my 18 -1-1-1-1 above 80%, 0000 from 60-80, 2231 at 40 3221 at 20%. timing is 3333 at 80 2222at 60 1201 at 40 11-10 at 20

M5

M
Jan 14, 2004
Yep that's what I'm running, you have to remember your conditions, kit, elevation, body weight yada yada will change things for you, this works for me it's not a recipe.

M5

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
Thank you Toy4rnr:
Let me know how you like it or if you end up playing with it. That suck about vortex, they told me they are 6-8 weeks out when I talked to them.

M5:
Are you running -3 fuel below 80% throttle?
I bought the bike this summer and guy said he never saw fuel in the oil and was running stock but he changed oil every ride too. I have heard the ported head does really make a difference.
So I took the bike out this last weekend, was riding probably around 4000-6000' elevation. I did not load that tune and I am glad I didn't. I decided to give it a try with the stock tune (0's across the board both FI and IG) and had lean pop on deceleration really bad. Also had hanging idle and occasional hard start scenarios, all of which point to lean condition. Valve lash was in the middle for intake and on the tighter end of what the manual says for exhaust, but still within spec (0.18mm). Unless they tightened up while I was up there, it shouldn't have been a bad valve adjustment. I pulled my spark plug and the insulator was white with the ground being a gray color.

I played with the tune a little bit in my garage this morning without any load and went +5, +6, and +7 across the board on FI and the spark plug color improved alot. With +6 and 7 it is a nice dark brown color with a dark brownish almost black ground. I think +7 will be too much fuel since I am doing this at around 1300' elevation, but at least I am getting improvement in fuel mixture. I tried +6 with a +1 IG across the board and it didn't like that. Giving it some revs it popped and died, it didn't do that with +0 IG.

I need to check valve lash again, I will do that tonight then tune some more. One thing to note, when Yamaha says the GYTR head is drop in ready to go, I find that very hard to believe as the intake valve lash was below 0.08mm which is really tight. I couldn't get any feelers in there because I had to go to a 0.05mm and it was a wet noodle. Not to mention you have to harvest plugs off your old head.

Just to note, I am only adding a ton of fuel to ensure I am able to richen up my mixture enough to offset the VOLUMES of air this new head moves. M5 looks like he has a good map, I am probably going to get mine real close, but more on the rich side and go from there.

MODS:
GYTR Ported head assembly (cams included)
FMF Ti Power Core 4 slip on
DIY Pod filter with pre filter screen.
Fresh stock piston with stock compression (12.5:1)

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
ya'll need the AZ Quad Parts big bore kits... Athena cylinder with CP 13.5:1 piston to match up with the GYTR. Carry 3rd gear in deep uphills all day :) You'll need to add 2 to 3 on fuel across the board for the extra volume.

I wish they made it for the 2020+ YZ - no big bores out there yet. We have 5 of those setups in my crew now. Every time someone rode the original 500cc kit with a 14-18 yz450 they immediately ordered the big bore kit. 600 bucks :)

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
ya'll need the AZ Quad Parts big bore kits... Athena cylinder with CP 13.5:1 piston to match up with the GYTR. Carry 3rd gear in deep uphills all day :) You'll need to add 2 to 3 on fuel across the board for the extra volume.

I wish they made it for the 2020+ YZ - no big bores out there yet. We have 5 of those setups in my crew now. Every time someone rode the original 500cc kit with a 14-18 yz450 they immediately ordered the big bore kit. 600 bucks :)

Do you happen to know what their maps look like? This spring I am getting my bottom end done and have seen their kits. CP makes awesome pistons, I was thinking of doing the BB when the rebuild happens this spring. On my new Yeti 129 and my setup above running lean, I was barely getting out of 1st this last weekend, but the snow was handlebar deep on my bike haha.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I know what my maps look like for that setup and they run perfectly. There isn't a Athena map or azquad map that is recommended. That's also a +4 under the broken part of the screen

163958911137591739462981744847.jpg

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
I know what my maps look like for that setup and they run perfectly. There isn't a Athena map or azquad map that is recommended. That's also a +4 under the broken part of the screen
Awesome thank you, wasn't sure if you were one of those in your group or not haha.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
I'm the default team mechanic apparently... My free labor has been over extended
Haha believe me, I know what that is like. I am going to run your map but with -1 off fuel everywhere except upper right corner i did -2. I left IG the same. I will let you know how it goes, but seems to run happy in the garage. If I had a 500cc BB, I would just run yours and see how it goes, but I'm running a stock piston with stock CR lol.

Premium Features