• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 Honda Crf450r Kickstarting

M
Dec 9, 2007
Does anyone have any experience kick starting a 17 Crf450r in cold temperatures? How does the PR2 ECU help with cold starting? I picked one up for my new snow bike set up and I’m worried about starting without estart. The previous owner broke the cases starting it once already in cold weather which was fixed under warranty because it was an issue with a lot of them when they first came out with the new design for 17.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Just be sure you hit Top Dead Center. Once you figure it out it's no issue!

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Had a CRF450R snowbike. I had no issues kickstarting it but had to be in neutral, it would not fire for me if I had it in gear with the clutch in even when it was warm. In neutral it was first or second kick every time. I still prefer electric start but it was not an issue that would prevent me from using one.

M
Dec 9, 2007
Had a CRF450R snowbike. I had no issues kickstarting it but had to be in neutral, it would not fire for me if I had it in gear with the clutch in even when it was warm. In neutral it was first or second kick every time. I still prefer electric start but it was not an issue that would prevent me from using one.
Good to know! I can put estart on it if I want to do but I don’t really want to add the extra cost to this build. If I really love the bike then I will more then likely add it. Who wants to kick start a bike anyway?

M
Jan 5, 2018
I have a PR2 on a 17 cfr450rx. It starts and runs good, no issues. I bought it before ever riding thinking that it was a necessity. My riding buddy since bought an 18 crf450r with no aftermarket ecu. That bike also starts and runs good. I'm not unhappy with the PR2, but I don't have any performance gains over the 18 and if I was doing it again I would put the money toward something else.

Premium Features