• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13 rmk assault- New to me sled w/ tuner installed but not functioning. Please advise.

A
Dec 15, 2020
Hey all,
Just bought a 13 rmk assualt. Higher miles (2.9k) but seems to run great and at a price Im very happy about. Mild mods (aftermarket can etc.) No crazy sledneck bigbore/turbo bs. Im a good (enough) mechanic but dont know much about ECUs and Tuners.

Anyway, PO had installed a "PowerSports GuageTuner" that appears to not be functioning. I think its made by bullydog? Looks like stock photo image below. PO said the screen died but "didnt affect performance so Ive been running it that way forever". I dont know how to tell if the screen died or the whole unit died. I havent really messed with it .

Heres my questions:
-If this reprogrammed the ecu/fuel mapping etc, do those changes now live in the ECU? Or when tuner died does it revert to original stock tuning?
-If it returned to original fueling, would I be running a bit lean with the aftermarket can? Or am I ok?
-If the tune lives in the ECU can I remove it and get the extra non-functional stuff out of the way? I could use the ram ball mount for stuff that actually works...
-Should I replace it? Should I try and scrub the leads and/or open it up for any reason?

Thanks guys. Excited to get out and ride this thing more.

bg-powersports-3_web_.jpg

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
If all your sled has on it is a can, it does not need a fuel controller... if it has an aftermarket pipe it (normally) does need a fuel controller to add more fuel. I don't know if that controller flashes the ECU map or overrides it like a power commander. Perhaps that tuner is leftover from a turbo that was installed at some point?

Premium Features