• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 xtx fit 16" track? diff. from MTX?

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
looking at different sleds
I just think I would like a 144 better than a 153
riding Iowa and boondocking in the Snowies
MTX verses like a XTX with 144 x16?
is the attack angle different?
suspension plus or minus
ski's ?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
when looking at the big picture, there isnt much difference between the 144-153 sleds. 144 to 153 is 9" of track (three pitches with a 3" pitch track). on the rails, it is only
4.5" total. you have to decide for yourself if you want the extra length for cross country and back country/hillclimbing.

i personally would buy the sled for the steepest and deepest i would ride, and then live with what i have for the flat areas. hate to go to the steep and deep and not truely be able to ride where i want to without alot of effort with the shorter track.

also you need to look at how much it is going to cost you in mods (tunnel protectors out, new drivers, new track cost, labor ect..) to install a really tall lug into the xtx. i dont think you can go over 1.75" without drivers in the xtx but, dont hold me to that. then for you to want to go 16" wide, you will have more obstacles to conquer in the tunnel width dept.

again it appears you are better off with the mtx for your application. just my .02 ski

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok, I would guess that you could put a 16 in a xtx just as easily as the mountain guys do, they have to grind a few rivets, cut a few bolts shorter and you will probably need different drop brackets. I am pretty sure the bulkhead is the same width so it should be dooable, but I have never done it.

I have 9 tooth extros in mine with a 2" track and should have put a 2.25 in as i think it would have worked fine.

Hope this helps

k

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I have a XTX with a 144" 2" 16" wide. I probably do 95% mountain riding. Here is why I decided to go the route I did. While I am a moutain rider, I actually perfer a little shorter track then most. Not saying its better, its just what I'm used to. Maybe its from all those years of riding short tracks in the mountains. I like to climb, but I don't have to be the high mark. The sled just needs to be able get me to the play areas where I like to go. The 144" does just fine, and is a blast to boondock with.
Then theres the difference between the 09 XTX and the 09 MTX. The XTX got the new and improved tunnel, WAY better shocks, updated sub-frame, and updated front suspension. Plus I figured if I got the MTX I would have had to swap out the crappy Maverick track anyway. Since a track swap was in order, I decided to get the XTX with all it's up-grades, and put on the track I wanted.
Now if I was going to buy 2010 sled it would be different story. The MTX SE gets the updated front suspension, rear air suspension, updated sub-frame, a better track (so they claim) and little bit of a weight loss. So if I was going to buy a 2010, I would get the MTX SE 153. JMO

Last edited:
H
Jan 28, 2008
xtx track

i am planning on taking out the heat exchanger protectors and putting as large a lug track is possible (hopefully 2.25") 15" wide is fine. Any suggestion what track i should go to? will i need to change my drivers? if i do what would you suggest?

i typically ride in northern mini and the U.P. so the stock clutch is fine. any suggestions for the mountains? Any other mods anyone is doing with these things in the mountains?

thanks

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
A 2 1/4" with 9 tooths would be really close. Safer bet would be to use 8 tooths with the 2 1/4".
One side note, XTXs require cutting approx 3/8" off the front rail tips. Then re-attaching the black plastic caps. This is to clear the extrovert teeth of a 9 tooth driver, during certain suspension movements.
If you go with 8 tooth extroverts, no rail trimming is required.
For other mods, I would go with wider mountain skis for sure! The steering post relocate is also a good one to do.

Last edited:
N
Feb 6, 2008
when looking at the big picture, there isnt much difference between the 144-153 sleds. 144 to 153 is 9" of track (three pitches with a 3" pitch track). on the rails, it is only
4.5" total. you have to decide for yourself if you want the extra length for cross country and back country/hillclimbing.

i personally would buy the sled for the steepest and deepest i would ride, and then live with what i have for the flat areas. hate to go to the steep and deep and not truely be able to ride where i want to without alot of effort with the shorter track.

also you need to look at how much it is going to cost you in mods (tunnel protectors out, new drivers, new track cost, labor ect..) to install a really tall lug into the xtx. i dont think you can go over 1.75" without drivers in the xtx but, dont hold me to that. then for you to want to go 16" wide, you will have more obstacles to conquer in the tunnel width dept.

again it appears you are better off with the mtx for your application. just my .02 ski

I thought this way as well, and ended up with a 2010 MTX SE 153 instead of an XTX. I liked the idea of owning the 144 over the 153, but like ski said, there's only a little over 4 inches more track on the ground with the 153. The SE just offered so much more over the XTX that I would have been crazy to have chosen the 144. For what it would have cost for me to upgrade the XTX to where I would want it, the SE was wayyyy ahead in so many areas. I believe the MTX SE 153 is a little over 10lbs lighter than the XTX too, which is another reason why I chose the MTX SE 153.

Premium Features