• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Dragon - tunnel coolers - to powder coat or not?

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Anyone have experience here? I asked the Powder coating shop and they stated that they have done it both ways. He mentioned that a specific black cools best.....but I think it was a flat black.

Looking for some experience here. Thank you.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I did two chassis in flat black, I had the shop take a piece of PC tape and run it down the center of each cooler on the bottom side. It has worked great, water temps in the 110-120* range on my 727's and this is with no front cooler.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Do not PC any of the coolers.

The advantage I noticed with PC on the top side of the cooler was a reduction in the snowball in comaprision to non PC sleds that builds on the rear cooler, and the addition of the PC on the underside of the tunnel reduced the snowball that built near the rear suspension hangers.

By PC the chassis in the manner I did I know I reduced the amount of hanging weight on sled while riding. I have not seen any downsides to this method of powdercoating as the watertemps I have seen are right on par with other sleds that have lesser HP.

On my Pro's I will be using a wrap on the tunnel and underside.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The advantage I noticed with PC on the top side of the cooler was a reduction in the snowball in comaprision to non PC sleds that builds on the rear cooler, and the addition of the PC on the underside of the tunnel reduced the snowball that built near the rear suspension hangers.

By PC the chassis in the manner I did I know I reduced the amount of hanging weight on sled while riding. I have not seen any downsides to this method of powdercoating as the watertemps I have seen are right on par with other sleds that have lesser HP.

On my Pro's I will be using a wrap on the tunnel and underside.

I have seen the same thing with my PC'd tunnel, no snow build up on the top of the tunnel. And yes, I meant do not coat any of the coolers on the underside of the tunnel. I provided a pic of my PC'd chassis in his other thread.

Premium Features