• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 800r weird bogging down

S
I have a new to me 08 xp- has 3700 miles but has had recent work done to it. 500 miles on rebuilt top end, newer doo doctor clutch, MBRP can...

I've had it out just 3 times. The last two times, I experienced the same weird issue at the very end of the day. I rode about 6-10" of snow in the mountains all day, about 30 miles, and on the trail heading back to the truck at the very end of the day had the sled bog down and not want to get past 6000 rpms. When it happened today, I noticed that the speedo was stuck at 0. I am honestly not sure if it has always been this way since my riding habits never look at the speedo. After riding about 100 yards with the bogging, I stopped and let off the throttle and the rpms dropped to 0, but it did not die although it sounded like it was about to- then bounced back up to 800 rpms.Then the tach dropped back to zero, the digital gauge in the center flashed LYNX, and the both the speedo and tach simultaneously went all the way up and all the way back down, when the speedo wasn't moving at all before. Tach bounced up to about 1700 rpms immediately, sled beeped, and then I started down the trail again. Was able to hit 8200 rpms and then a hundred yards later- same issue. Rode about 5 miles back to the truck with the sled bogging, sounding very strange, and not wanting to go past 6000 rpm on the dot, except for a brief hundred yard period when it jumped up to 7000 rpms.

The first time this happened was very warm. At least 40 degrees out, with much heavier snow that wasn't up over the hood. Today was cold. Less than 20 degrees out, with more blower snow that was getting over the hood and into the engine compartment.

Any ideas?

S
I posted the same thing on dootalk. Someone suggested it being a "hot limp mode". I run a snow flap on the back. And the digital temp gauge said it was no more than 1/4 of the way cold... I learned today that I can't trust the digital fuel gauge, could be the same for the temp gauge? I'd be surprised if it's actually hot with the snow conditions, very loose snow on the trail too. I ran my 07 800r with no flap for a whole season and never had an issue.

I was wondering if it could have been some type of electrical limp mode based on how it wouldn't get past 6000 rpm and the gauges were being strange... but then there was a brief moment it was at 7000 rpms and still bogging. Is there a code that the dealer can read that would say if it's the hot limp mode? I don't think I saw any check engine lights come on.

T
Feb 2, 2009
Truckee, CA
Rave Valves Clean?

Have you cleaned your Rave Valves lately? Had similar symptoms with dirty valves. Would cut out and almost throw me over the bars...

If used sled, good thing to do anyways, unless they have been done within the last 500 miles.

Good luck!

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
The gauges will sweep like that if the idle becomes low. I would check the teather and confirm its making full contact. The X models would show an error on the display if that was the case but i would still check. Install new spark plugs and see what that does and go through the carbs too.

Premium Features