• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 vertical escape limp mode?

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Hey everyone. Just did some searching on here and I think I have an idea but just want to double check. A buddy of mine rides an 04 VE 159 800 and saturday we went up for a ride and first thing in the morning the sled ran fine. Once we hit some decent snow the temp light came on and sled wouldnt go faster than 15mph. Just a gurgly cutoff noise. First thought was sucking in water but he completely sealed the air box with frog skin and silicone. Now im guessing maybe the temp sensor is bad causing it to go to limp mode? Just seems odd the only time the sled runs good is on the trail with no snow mist. Also does limp mode cause it to suck alot of fuel? Guessing it would considering its trying to protect the engine. Any help would be great! Thanks!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Pence, WI
if i was to unplug the sensor would it clean it up? then i could no if its a bad sensor?

I believe the 04 has the twin lead sensor. Unplugging those still keeps it in the protected mode. The older single lead sensors only operated the light.

The snow could be shorting out the circuit somewhere providing a ground that actuates the timing change. But the sensors do go bad and they aren't expensive.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
so it did not snap out of limp mode after it cooled down? wierd. i had it come on once on mine, rubbed the coolers and motor with snow while it idled, hood open, and once the light kicked off away she ran.. i appreciated that feature..

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
If the temp sensor goes bad it won't come back out of limp mode.

Unplugging doesn't bypass it.

SLP bypass has a resistor in it to match the resistance of a functioning temp sensor. If you ride a Polaris big block buy that bypass and carry it with you all the time.

04 also has a DET sensor on it. They go bad too and put the motor in to limp mode. No way to bypass them. If its in limp mode, plug temp bypass in. If that doesn't fix it, then DET is probably bad.

If it clears up after the motor has dried out then you ought to look for open connectors where water can get in to.

sled_guy

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Actually, the DET can be bypassed by simply unplugging the DET cord that comes out of the back of the cylinder head. Then, the engine will instantly be out of limp mode due to the DET. A too tight of choke adjustment can also make it feel like it is in limp mode, which also can be quickly fixed in the field so you can climb out of that steep canyon that you dropped into. A suddenly bad Temperature gauge on the top of the cylinder, can instantly be bypassed by inserting and taping a U-shaped wire with stripped ends, into the two leads coming from the main harness. A suddenly bad headlight switch can be bypassed by carrying a star 20 driver that will allow you to dissemble the left hand controls and unplug the leads behind the headlight button. It also looks like the 2004 coils are starting to miss, resulting in what feels like a limp mode. Or they just go out altogether. So you would be wasting your time in buying a used coil to replace your defective coil, because it could be just as old. Buy new. So you will need a couple of things here to add to your sleds tool kit.

Last edited:
Premium Features