• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 summit himark questions

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
I just purchased a 2004 summit himark X 151. It has a HPS? can, goldfinger lefty throttle, 10" riser, screen kit, 8" billet big wheel kit, simmons skis, and better boards. My questions are is there anything else you would do to this sled? Were or are these good mountain sleds? Does the 04 himark X package have the infamous "trencher track" ? It also has a digital temp guage in the dash. What kind of temp should this sled run? Only seems to get up to 90 degrees messing around in the snow on flat land?

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You got a nice sled there. Maybe look in to a top end job soon depending on the miles. Good MT sled. Not sure on the temp.

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
Thanks, after I got this sled home I noticed it had already recieved a new top end and v force 3 reeds. sled has 2800 miles.

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
tn

sorry about the picture size cant figure out how to change it.

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
my 04 usually runs about 115-125 degrees f. on the trails, in a far amount of powder it tends to cool off to about 108f. i really try not to rip on it until it hits that 100 mark. Mine will get up to 150 if i dont put the scratchers down when we are not in the powder.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
ya sounds like you have one hell of a good start on the mountain sled, most common and prefered mods seem to already be there.

Loose the sway bar. don`t think the 04 151 is the trencher track the 07 most commonly had the bad track. remove all bogies wheels in the skid obviously other than the rear axle, Lol
Install Ice Scratchers with or without the wheels, they really work!!
Clutching..
I run pod unifilters and they work great, frees up some room in the engine bay and looks alot cleaner. just need more than stock venting.

Wildcard

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
bogies are all removed. Ice scratchers are worth the money huh? didn't think they would make that much difference. skis are set in the wide position. do you think it will help to move them in? I am only 160 pounds. been riding a 02 summit 144 zx and this sled feels alot more agile sitting in the shop. we don't have any snow here to try it out on so kind of going in to this blind a little bit. I like to play on the hills. I am no expert rider in the mountains by any means and am not trying to follow the experts, but some side hilling and climbing is always fun in the mix. Also not sure about track porting. What does this help besides weight loss. Does porting shorten the life of your track?

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Definite yes on the scratchers. An absolute must have is "snow eliminator" running board inserts. Depending on your standing height a 3" extra steering post riser and move your post forward. Most people change out the stock skis--move them to the narrow configuration.

D^J clutch kit and DooDoctors floating secondary will seem like you added 20hp:face-icon-small-hap

BCB

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
I have better boards snow eliminators. I am going to have to look into the clutching kits. Does this still allow me to keep my "klicker" style primary?

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
Sorry about all the questions. I have never had a sled with any modifications. This seems like a mean machine to me,but when I get on SW you guys have modified about everything on your sleds.Just wondering what to do to mine to give me the best bang for my buck. Still wondering about track porting. Seems like a cheap operation ( time consuming) , but not sure of the advantages and disadvantages.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Yes, you still use the clicker with D^Js kit.

I have single 1.25" port down the middle and I did Gmans track mod in which I cut the width of the paddles to 15" wide with a 16" wide belt. The sled side hills better and seems to have a higher track speed (if you can read the mini speedo), My tunnel has less snow build up than my riding buddies.

Use the "search" mode for D^J--DooDoctor--Gman. Too much info to repeat here.

BCB

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
bogies are all removed. Ice scratchers are worth the money huh? didn't think they would make that much difference. skis are set in the wide position. do you think it will help to move them in? I am only 160 pounds. been riding a 02 summit 144 zx and this sled feels alot more agile sitting in the shop. we don't have any snow here to try it out on so kind of going in to this blind a little bit. I like to play on the hills. I am no expert rider in the mountains by any means and am not trying to follow the experts, but some side hilling and climbing is always fun in the mix. Also not sure about track porting. What does this help besides weight loss. Does porting shorten the life of your track?

Yes Scratchers are worth the money, and actually don`t cost much compared to other mod parts we are payin for, like in my and many other cases I`d gladly pay $43 for a set of Stay Cool scratchers I bought right from my dealer rather than overheating or burnin down a motor small price to pay for runnin cooler, I actuall keep them down in alot of snow conditions not just spring time.

Yes again move the ski`s in you will like it, if you don`t move them back, FREE mod. I am also about 160lb guy so any little bit helps for me.

No on the porting that fad is pretty much over. to me it just shoveled snow in the holes fillin up the rear skid and packin more snow and weight especailly if it freezes in there. If you happen to get a track with one or two small holes in there then that would work but not like skidoo did with the swiss cheesed xp tracks not a good idea. I did it mostly for the weight loss on a 153 track I had on my ole 97 summit 670 and make the rolling resistance better after porting 2 1 1/4 holes per pitch cause is was a 3.0 pitch track I could rotate the track with one hand couldn`t do it before that is the advantages to it but on light power snow it fills the skid full of snow, was claimed to clear the skid when everyone started doing it but that part didn`t make sence to me.

X2 on BCB`s tips also, gman mod for me also when I change tracks, I have a 15 wide now but going to 16 pretty soon along with breaking the rods in the track that simulate the flex like the New skidoo Flexedge track. BCB and I are doing it without the tool using our own ideas.

If you want some Mountain rideing tips and some good vids to check these out http://www.sledshot.com/ tech tips are great. helps me out. Practice, Practice. push you limits every ride but safe and smartly.

Here is my build and Tmotion install. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324220

Wildcard

Last edited:
Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
wild card I saw your build and have read a lot of if not all of your posts on it. That sled is rediculous!! But in a good way!! I don't get much mountain riding in. Maybe two weekends a year, so experimenting is hard for me to do. This is why I ask all the questions I do so I can have the most capable sled I can afford when I get to the mountains. (10 hour drive) Thank you guys again for all the good info I really appreciate your opinions and experience! I will be in the snowy's in seven days. Can't wait to see how this machine works! Has to be better than the 02 144! One more question, notching the paddles down to 15" doesn't make it want to trench like the old edge polaris's? I realize you still have a 16" belt to keep you "floating" but hard for me to start cutting on a $700 track. One minute I want to and then I talk myself out of it. You guys havend noticed any lack of climbing ability with this mod? Thanks again and be safe out there!!

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Gmans mod does not cut the paddle all the way to the belt. The cut stops at the top of the fiber glass rod leaving a small shoulder. Its no secret that Pol RMK/PRO and A/C M8 are great climbers and side hillers and they use a 15". I run about 50% trail and find this mod to work very well for trail riding. As to climbing, no difference. The biggest + is side hilling and maneuvering in the trees. I believe Camoplast introduced a 15/16 x 2.5 last year.

Modding sleds is always dicey---stuff that works for some guys on different snow conditions/altitudes may not work for others.

The Snowies are great--you'll have a blast--be aware of avy conditions and know how to use your beacon/prob/shovel.

BCB

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
Ya my new camoplast extreme 163"x16"x2.5" has 15" wide paddles at the top, with a 16" base and nubs. It is a climbing monster, seems to sidehill a little better than the 159"x16"x2.3 track i used to have. The 159" was ported and this track is not ported either which not porting i think helps with too.

I also have a 03 zx 700 with a 144, that sled is fun but is nowhere near as capable as your new rev. It will take you places you really shouldn't be. But way to much fun to resist.

Have fun with the sled

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
Thanks everyone! Last night I moved my skis in to the narrow setting and did gman's track cut mod. should be good to go. Someone on here told me to move my clickers to setting 4. In the past I have set my 700's on 3. What should I be looking at for a peak rpm so I can fine tune my sled. I am unsure of peak on the 800 HO.

Z

zx700

Jan 27, 2010
nw iowa
This might be a little vague for you but I bet someone on here knows. I don't have my shop manual yet or I would look it up myself. On the right side of the sled if you open up the side cover, tucked in behind the pull starter bezel is a electric connector. This connector looks like a atc fuse holder, but has no fuse in it at this time. It has a metal clip on the outside of the connector like it should be clipped to the chassis to hold it out of the way. There are three wires going to the connector. A large red with a white stripe I believe, a small red, and a black. Does anyone know what this connector is for?

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Thanks everyone! Last night I moved my skis in to the narrow setting and did gman's track cut mod. should be good to go. Someone on here told me to move my clickers to setting 4. In the past I have set my 700's on 3. What should I be looking at for a peak rpm so I can fine tune my sled. I am unsure of peak on the 800 HO.

First--the tachs on the early REVs can be off as much as 200 r.
Before I went D^Js I ran the stock pins with no added weights for 9-10,000' This will determine your clicker #. suggest you start on 4 shooting for 8,200 at the start of a climb and be prepared to end up at 7,900/8,000. Every REV is different and belt condition/brand can get different results.

I don't try to optimize my clutching on the hill anymore as I am too busy keeping the rubber side down to pay attention to my snow covered tach and non existent speedo.

Let us know how your Snowies trip goes:yo:

BCB

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have changed my clutching I added 2 set screws to the pins, 200/290 Yellow w/red spring, (Quick Clickers) and clickers set on 3, 19/47 gearing Engines all stock turning a 159x15x2 1/8 Poolaris series 4 and ride 5k to 8500k elevation and engine in most all snow conditions will turn 7900-8100rpm all day. I can find out the exact weight I added just can`t remember now.

Wildcard

Premium Features