Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 2-stroke Includes all Yamaha 2-strokes, Viper, Mountain Max, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
ArtieT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 Venture

Looking for some expert Yamaha opinions/facts. I'm brand new to the snowmobile world and I'm in the market for an ice fishing sled. I am looking for some pros/cons on a 1997 Yamaha VT600A Venture.

The seller says that the suspension was gone through, new side rails, new bogie wheel bearings and carbs were gone through. Has electric start, reverse and backrest. Asking $1200. Thanks in advance!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Currently: Not set.
reignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond reputereignman has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a 99 600 Venture for $1000. They are great sleds. Make sure the carb's are cleaned every year before the season starts.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Currently: Making roll-over valve kits since 2008
MTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond reputeMTN_VIPER has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 97 XTC 600 twin. They're good sleds, but there are a couple of things to check besides the normal wear/tear items.

Since this one is a 97 also and I assume that it has the 600 twin cylinder in it. Ask the owner if the pistons have been replaced yet. The original pistons had a bad habit of spitting out the pin that keeps the ring from rotating on the piston. When this happens the ring(s) can rotate and get hung up in the exhaust port and tear the cylinder/piston up. ( I had this happen to me) Yamaha came out with an updated piston I believe in 98 or 99. If they have been replaced, then most likely it will have the updated pistons in it.

The other thing to check is the primary clutch rollers. The twin cylinders had a tendency to wear the roller bushings in one spot causing the roller to drag across the flyweight, which in turn causes a flat spot to wear in the weight.
To check the roller bushings, simply rotate each roller around while checking if it rolls evenly as opposed to up and down.
The rollers and weight are easy to replace if they are worn.
For Arctic Cat and Yamaha Sleds
Patents 8,225,766 8,528,516 9,303,537

http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/
e-mail fourstrokesolutionsllc@hotmail.com