• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Suspension options?

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
So riding down the trail at the end of the ride yesterday the glue on my right A-arm let go. Luckily it happened where it did or I wouldn't be here writing this.

My first question is what did you guys do for A-arms? considered aftermarket but was warned about possible changes geometry and how it may not benifit, so not wanting to replace it with another set thats glued thought about going with the non Pro RMK style thats welded.

Second question is since my shock was taken out at the same time what do you guys recommend? Was looking at doing Raptors but I haven't heard anything about them good or bad. on their page its $1050 for the front and rear each or i can go threw KMOD and get the parts for a mostly kmod skid with raptors for $1600 and add fronts for $1050 so for an extra $500 i pretty much get a new skid. or should i be looking at a different shock all together Im 150# all geared up and ride 80% trees and and natural jumps and 20% hill climbs.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Impossible. Polaris said this doesn't happen.

Those are great pics, worth many words. Hope all is safe. Does CA have a consumer product and safety commission equivalent?

I run Evol R's, but there are many good choices for shocks and arms out there. You probably know this - the welded Poo arms require longer shocks than the 13/14 pros. I'm not advocating for them, just informing. Good luck.

Last edited:
J
Jan 31, 2012
Birch Hills, Saskatchewan
Sorry to hear that! Looks like that could of been dangerous at high speed...

There are a tonne of threads on here about different shock and a-arm options.

Holtz, Z-bros, Skinz, CMX, Alternative Impact, Timbersled, are some of the common options for a-arms.

Raptors and Exit shocks each have a pretty good following on SW. I don't know much about the Exits but I have rode a couple sleds with Raptors and they were awesome! A lot of people on here love them too from what I read. Fox also has good options that a lot of people like. I have never rode a K-mod skid though!

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Saw 2 PROs with the exact same thing happen a couple weeks ago in Revy. One happened on the trail and one way back in the mountain. I would get some aftermarket arms for sure. I am using the Alternative Impact 36" arm and love them. You can keep the sway bar too which is a big deal on the narrow front ends. I am also running a KMOD and Raptors all around. They are awesome!! Highly recommended!

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Saw 2 PROs with the exact same thing happen a couple weeks ago in Revy. One happened on the trail and one way back in the mountain. I would get some aftermarket arms for sure. I am using the Alternative Impact 36" arm and love them. You can keep the sway bar too which is a big deal on the narrow front ends. I am also running a KMOD and Raptors all around. They are awesome!! Highly recommended!

I was moving along pretty good thats for sure, 1 km earlier and it would have sucked me off a 100ft cliff.

Well for the price of one OEM I could get a set of 36" that extra 1.5"s really makes a difference its already pretty tippy? The way the sled is right now im rocking a 50"+ stance lol. looks like I could have a big chunk of my bill on aftermarket parts paid for just from the cost of the OEM think im sold on the Raptors been looking at them along time just never seen any in my area everyone has exit or evols and never on a sled i own so i never rode them.

Impossible. Polaris said this doesn't happen.

Those are great pics, worth many words. Hope all is safe. Does CA have a consumer product and safety commission equivalent?

I run Evol R's, but there are many good choices for shocks and arms out there. You probably know this - the welded Poo arms require longer shocks than the 13/14 pros. I'm not advocating for them, just informing. Good luck.

I don't really know if we have one to be honest I don't know why we wouldn't. The Alternative Impact are looking pretty good at the moment so are the Skinz but they are pretty pricy. If I did just spend a ton on the turbo and new sled deck they might be a little more appealing lol.

Last edited:
J

jay_boom

Dec 15, 2007
Southwestern, AB

I was in revy a couple weeks ago too and saw a pro coming down from boulder with the same issue, right beside our trailer as he was going around the corner. Instantly made me decide to order arms as soon as i can. I was on timbersleds website and they sell oem replacement sizing meaning stock shock lengths can be used for guys that dont want to or cant afford shocks

I am thinking the raptors or exit might be a great option with stronger arms.

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
I have not had any trouble with my a arms but this makes me worry. I received an update notice shortly after delivery of my 2013, which replaced both lower a arms. To me, this means they recognized and acknowledged they had an adhesive/bonding problem. Are the failures people are seeing after the updated a arms were installed?

M
Oct 13, 2009
wyoming
Any one else besides timbersled making stock replacements?
I have a set of 36'' alt impact on my pro as well. Dan really is a straight shooter and super to deal with. Great product and $. So far i would say you couldnt get me back on the stock width! Havent had them in any super deep yet but cant wait. The sway bar hookup was a huge bonus. The 39'' he has are a direct stock replacement too. I still have the 39'' AI if anybody want to buy them.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
So polaris has agreed to warranty the damage how much and what my dealer is still working on getting as much covered as they can. Thumbs up to having an amazing dealer who's willing to do so much for someone who didn't purchase the sled from them, with that being said I will buy my sleds and will hands down recommend FiveStar Motor Sports in Chilliwack to anyone.

FiveStar is currently looking at getting the 36" alt impact A-Arms, Raptor shocks all around and a kmod skid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize it would probably void the warranty, but why not use the injection hole and install a stainless rivet for a little security. It wouldn't make them "bullet" proof, but if the adhesive lets loose maybe you'll make it to the trailer. Obviously pre-ride and post-ride inspections are a must!!

F

freezie

Jan 16, 2008
weyburn, Sk
I'm really amazed there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed , this is a safety concern and polaris should have done something . Amazing someone hasn't died from them coming apart at the wrong time .

I will be checking and double checking my a arms before during and after every ride. Bought my Pro end of March and only logged 150 miles anxious to ride (not enough snow to brave it just yet). Hope'n I got one of the good ones! Plenty of squeeze out around the casting, but how much got to where it counts !!!

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
I'm really amazed there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed , this is a safety concern and polaris should have done something . Amazing someone hasn't died from them coming apart at the wrong time .

Like I stated at the top 1km earlier and i wouldn't have the ability to be asking these questions. glad everyone who its happened to have been relatively lucky. Friends of mine are machinists and millwrights and they all don't get why they went this route aluminum and steel react differently to temperature change really only noticeable if you took a torch and heated it up and dunked it in cold water but still. The weight savings in the A-arm really doesn't seem worth it to me even if you riveted it whats to say that that would hold any better might get luck and get you off the hill but whats saying that the rivet could even handle the added stress? Id rather risk a poor weld then then glue and a rivet.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
They wouldn't have done it if it was more expensive. Driving cost out. They may still try to push it across other models. Same as belt drive.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
They wouldn't have done it if it was more expensive. Driving cost out. They may still try to push it across other models. Same as belt drive.
Well its cost them an arm and a leg when it comes to my sled. last year was over $10,000.00 in warranty and now this which i'm guessing is upwards of $2000.00 so what i paid for the sled they paid in warranty. My dealer tried to have them give me a new sled the first time because the sled had 200km and and $10,000 in damage from a drive shaft going. Now Im at 430km and the A-arm let go and 30km earlier I have my first drive belt let go. But its at the coast of Polaris so let it rack up I guess.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Sorry to derail this thread, but am I missing something where you have $10,000 in damages from losing a drive shaft?

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
Sorry to derail this thread, but am I missing something where you have $10,000 in damages from losing a drive shaft?

No worries that happened last year. when I took it in the dealer noticed it split my tunnel and ripped my track. Labor and all the parts came to $10,000.00 plus 2 month in the shop because the tunnels were back ordered so I received an additional 3 months warranty. Only mentioned it because the last comment was how if it wasn't so inexpensive polaris would have stuck with it. In my case its cost them a lot of money and im sure im not the only one out there costing them.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
So all the parts are in and the A-Arms and Shocks are installed. Ended up going with the Titanium 36" A-arms with Raptor Shocks and a KMOD Skid with Raptors. Very impressed with the quality of craftsmanship from Alternative Impact top notch work same is to be said with the KMOD. Have yet to install the Kmod hopefully will be doing installing that next week when I get a chance Instructions look every detailed and step by step and labeled should be very easy to follow. The misses rode it yesterday so I can't give a ride report but from just watching the suspension cycle looks like it should be a huge upgrade from stock very excited to take it for a ride saturday now that we are getting snow.

Premium Features