• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust springs

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
2016 m8000

This is the 4th time I've pulled my hood off and I have exhaust springs missing from the Y/exhaust pipe. Usually 2 of 4 missing. This last time I put Doo springs on as they are tighter. But again2 missing.

Has anybody else had this problem? I don't get it

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Seems to me they only go on one way to fit proper don't they? Could this maybe be the problem?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
if the springs holding the pipe to the chassis and can and the can to the chassis are not tight or missing the pipe can move around a bit. and yes the are designed to go one direction.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If all the springs are in place correctly, try putting a bead of high temp silicone along each spring. Dampens vibration and keeps them from breaking. Squeeze it on so that it gets between the coils.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
springs

2016 m8000

This is the 4th time I've pulled my hood off and I have exhaust springs missing from the Y/exhaust pipe. Usually 2 of 4 missing. This last time I put Doo springs on as they are tighter. But again2 missing.

Has anybody else had this problem? I don't get it

What I am finding is the springs get over stretched and become loose, this is happening during removal or install. The hi heat silicone helps stop the springs from breaking due to vibration,it wont help a stretched spring. Have you found any of the springs in the belly pan? If so are they broken or intact?The part number for these springs hasn't changed for years but who knows if the supplier or metal grade is the same. I carry spares and do a inspection before and after install, things I never had to do previously. So yes it's not just you.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Finding them in the belly, looking fine or broken. Haven't found the 2 Doo springs yet.

Thanks for the tip about high temp red. I'll give it a try. I can see me over stretching, those springs are a prick getting them on

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
springs

Finding them in the belly, looking fine or broken. Haven't found the 2 Doo springs yet.

Thanks for the tip about high temp red. I'll give it a try. I can see me over stretching, those springs are a prick getting them on

I use a short piece of rope for install / removal it works good. If your finding them intact they are most likely stretched. What i am trying this season is to use a stretched one for the second spring and replace it with a good one once the flange is even .

Nov 12, 2008
I am having this problem too
Always look for all pieces Had wrecked clutches on one sled due to his

I have noticed that springs are breaking in different locations on the spring

Premium Features