• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KMod turn key skid install on my 05 M7

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If your M series is anything like mine, it rides like a lumber wagon. My kidneys are reduced to jello by the end of the day and I found myself riding back to the cabin/hotel at 3mph because of severe arm pump when the trails are pounded out at the end of the day.

After hours of research, I dropped an email to Kevin @ KMod suspension. He confirmed what I had been reading, his suspension will allow to me to ride harder, longer and faster. Get your minds out of the gutter, I'm talking about sledding!

My sled is a stock motored 05 M7 162 with completely stock suspension and all the ususal mods like a Power Claw track, tunnel update, Boss seat etc.

After talking to Kevin, I ordered the following:

Turn Key 162" skid with black powdercoated Ice Age rails
Raptor rear shock upgrade
Raptor front IFS shocks
Billet 4 wheel axle kit (I seem to be able to break anything, so this was my choice)
Also included in this years skid is Kevin's tool-less billet transfer block adjuster

Here is how it arrived:

1.JPG

Detailed installation instructions and tuning info:

2.JPG

The hat:

3.JPG

My quality inspector checking out the IFS raptor shocks:

4.JPG

Ice age rails, anti-stab, billet 4 wheel axle and hyfax:

5.JPG

Inspector checking out the new rear wheels, you can see the Raptor skid shocks here too:

6.JPG

To swap out the front shocks, lift up the nose of the sled (or roll it on it's side) and remove the existing shocks. You will need a 9/16" box end wrench and a 9/16" socket and ratchet. Kevin's instructions detail heating/forming a small area in the nosecone to accomodate the Raptor clicker adjuster, but I found I didn't need to.

Old:

7.JPG

New:

8.JPG

With that out of the way, I moved on to the skid assembly.

First, I slid the hyfax onto the rails, secured them with the supplied self tapping torx bolts and cut them on an angle with a sawzall. I mounted the anti stab setup in the forward set of holes on the Ice Age rails. Blue loctite was applied to the bolts to make sure they stay put.

9.JPG

Next, I mounted the axle ajuster blocks on the rear of the rail. It's worth mentioning that because I opted for a 4 wheel axle kit, the adjusters go on the outside of the rail. If you are using the 2 wheel setup, they would be inboard.

10.JPG

Then I mounted the rear arm bump stops:

11.JPG

I then assembled the front arm shock. It has a more compressed spring compared to the rear one. I lightly oiled the shaft to be able to slide it in through the shock mount. I centered it on the shaft using the supplied lock collars and a tape measure. Blue loctite was applied to the set screws on the locating collars.

12.JPG

The rear shock was mounted between the rails loosely. Then the front arm installed. It can be differentiated from the rear by the small round stock near the top bolts. The shock was bolted to the arm with supplied hardware. A support bar was installed in the 3rd hole from the front of the rails. I then installed the limiter straps and adjusted the distance from the ground to the center of the front arm mounting points to between 12" and 12.5".

13.JPG

14.JPG

I moved to the back of the skid and cut the hyfax on an angle to match the rail. I then assembled the rear axle and wheel assembly. I did not tighten this at this time.

15.JPG

Next I installed the billet adjuster block and rear scissor assembly. This is left loose.

16.JPG

17.JPG

The rear arm was then added to the scissor and tightened:

18.JPG

Center the rear shock on the shaft using the supplied collars and a tape measure. I found it much easier to lightly oil this shaft to be able to slide it through the shock. Wipe it off when you're done if you decide to do this. Make sure to loctite the set screws on the shock locating collars. You can then install it in the skid and tighten only the top bolt on the rear arm. You can also see that I've added the rear support bar in this picture.

19.JPG

Next I added the rear upper idler wheels and lock collars. The set scews go away from the wheel so that you can tighten them. I added the center support bar at this time.

20.JPG

Finally, I installed the Ice Age ice scratchers and tightened everything in the skid except the rear axle. I opted to grease everything before installing it in the sled. There is 1 zerk on the front arm and 3 on the rear.

21.JPG

To install the skid in the sled, I first removed the old one. I then compressed the rear arm on the Kmod and used a basic tie down around one of the support bars to keep the skid compressed during installation. I'm not sure if this is required or not, but I *HATE* wrestling with skids and it made reinstallation a breeze.

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

I then verified track alignment/tension and was ready for a test ride!

25.JPG

I will post my ride impressions later today if it warms up. I need to get some more seat time on it and it's -37C here with the wind this morning.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
nice install tutorial, thanks to both you and your little assistant
:face-icon-small-coo

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have only heard good things about Raptor shocks. It is amazing what a good shock package can do. I am looking into upgrading to then in the future. I am also impressed by what I have been reading about the new generation KMOD as well. It is a really nice set-up

It looks like the QC was in awe over the quality, that is aways a good sign. quite a colorful eye for fashion as well I see :face-icon-small-coo
Nice write up. :yo:

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I have heard nothing but good things about KMod, and that is a very good looking skid. Simple, lightweight, and über functional. The pics of your QC inspector are priceless, I got my own little inspector running around here!

Congrats on the new purchase!

Stack

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I took the sled for about an hour ride and here are my initial impressions...

- Ski lift is definitely less. I've got the coupling block in #1 which is the most ski lift. Where I used to be able to pull the skis up when squeezing on it, it just rockets forward.

- The bumps.... oh man.... I was able to outride my headlight through the chop sections on the trail and through the heavily blown in open areas. I even hit the "groomed" trail and let it eat. There's no way I would be able to ride as quick as I did with the stock skid.

- The front shock package is incredibly forgiving. Landing off center used to be a bone jarring experience but the Raptors and triple rate springs just soak it up and settles down quickly.

- After pulling back into the shop, I noticed that my track appears to need tightening again, so I'll have to look at that before I go out again.

I'm looking forward to getting the sled in some deep powder with this setup, it seems to get up on the snow quicker, but I really need more snow to tell for sure. I have a trip planned in a few weeks where I'll get 8-9 days in a row on the sled and I'll be sure to put it through it's paces!

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
kmod

i installed the kmod suspension on my m7 . all i can say is wow what a world of difference. i had some questions about the install and kevin was awesome with helping me out.well worth the money spent. :bounce:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm going to have the sled in Cooke next weekend for it's Maiden voyage with the new suspension. I can't wait to try it out in some real snow.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I just got back from Cooke City. I put 7 full days of riding on the sled in all sorts of conditions from bombed out trails to over the hood fresh snow. Roughly 340 miles worth. The only change I made was tighten up the rear shock one click from the way it was delivered.

The sled takes the bumps so much better it's almost unreal. I never had to let off to let my body recover on the stutter bumps. Just hit them dead on and let the sled soak it up. Kevin wasn't BSing when he said I'd be aiming for big holes to see how the sled reacts.

What I wasn't ready for was how I could climb with the new suspension. I could get on/off the throttle and the sled wouldn't trench in, it would jump back up on the snow. The skis never gave me that "it's coming over backwards" feeling at all, even during some very steep climbs.

The sled was very predictable and it was easy to anticipate any movement or change of course from existing tracks or obstacles. This really allowed me to take on some tighter lines in the trees and some huge sidehills I wouldn't have even attempted before.

So far, it's performed exactly as advertised! Great product.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I have Kmod Conversion- no Raptors- on a 250HP turbo w/3"x162

09 M8SP-162 with Twisted Extreme turbo 2871-2 running 10 psi on straight Avgas, with the new Camo 9220M 3" track, it's not quite the same comparison, I have some info posted in the Turbo Section regarding the Kmod and the 3".

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
I'm running a full Kmod with raptors on a stock 2010 M8. I love it, I wish I could have done the ski shocks at the same time but just couldn't afford it at the time. I changed from the 2.25 power claw to a 2.5 CE at the same time so I can't say for sure which mod did what for me but the sled gets on top of the snow better and doesn't trench as bad and just flat out climbs better.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I have been running the Raptors all around, with the KMOD turn key skid all season. I had a hard time believing all of the hype behind these skids, and shocks. Unfortunately for the wallet, they are just as good as everyone says. Riding my backup with stock skid and shocks sucks big time after experiencing a quality skid and shocks.

hcrider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2009
wyoming
kmod

sure wish you guys could do a better job convincing me i dont need one of these. gonna do a track and skid at the same time it looks like

Premium Features